Chaparral FRN CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Chaparral FRN CQI

Post by Sharp Guy »

zippifish wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:43 pm
After a couple of tries and concentrated effort I was able to Spydie flick the Chap, my thumb is happier as well so there is that. :)
Keep in mind that Spydie flicking a back lock can't be good for the lock up.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:42 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:08 pm
Lots of issues with this lightweight version, I hope Spyderco fixes everything before a Salt version is released :rolleyes:
I don't think there's "lots of issues"
You're right, I should have said 2 issues, the pocket clip and the tension bar.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Just got mine. I like it overall; the blade length is really impressive, and the thinness is great, but the lock is just as big a pita as everyone says. Is there a reason they don't add the dent in the lock bar? Is it too thin? Seems like it might have helped.
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:44 pm
zippifish wrote:
After a couple of tries and concentrated effort I was able to Spydie flick the Chap, my thumb is happier as well so there is that. :)
Keep in mind that Spydie flicking a back lock can't be good for the lock up.
Won't be my preferred method of opening the knife, I'm not much of a fidget with the knife person other than breaking them in. With back locks I like to use my thumb and swing the blade open smoothly, get that satisfying pop when the blade locks in, just nice to know the action is smooth enough to spydie flick it if I want to. :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

tonijedi wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:16 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
tonijedi wrote:
Lots of issues with this lightweight version, I hope Spyderco fixes everything before a Salt version is released :rolleyes:
Lock bar tension on my CF Chap was about the same as my LW. I adjusted my CF version a few years ago. That's how I knew what to do with the LW. The pocket clip on my LW hasn't been an issue. Apparently it has been for some and thus the reason Spyderco decided to improve it. Hats off to them for continuously trying to improve their products.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

zippifish wrote:

Hope the spring tension softens up a little more down the road with use. ;)
My was still stiff after moving the spring forward too (although it did fix the rubbing issue I was having) but I softened it up more by leaving the knife in this position for about 90 minutes. I'd check it every 30 mins to get it where you want it.

-Turbo
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

God'sMyJudge wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:23 pm
Just got mine. I like it overall; the blade length is really impressive, and the thinness is great, but the lock is just as big a pita as everyone says. Is there a reason they don't add the dent in the lock bar? Is it too thin? Seems like it might have helped.
I'm pretty sure not adding the Boye dent was mostly to keep the lines clean and minimize the cutout. Lots of discussion in the past regarding this. If you search "Chaparral Boye dent" you'll find all kinds of discussion.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:32 pm
zippifish wrote:

My was still stiff after moving the spring forward too (although it did fix the rubbing issue I was having) but I softened it up more by leaving the knife in this position for about 90 minutes. I'd check it every 30 mins to get it where you want it.

If leaving it open like that softens the spring then they're not using very good spring steel.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:37 pm
If leaving it open like that softens the spring then they're not using very good spring steel.
Seems to make a bigger difference than sliding it forward. :confused: ...or maybe my thumb is so numb I can't tell how hard I'm pressing anymore. :eek:
-Turbo
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

I only have the newest Chaparral FRN - can someone post a pic of the old and new together - are there any obvious differences?
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:32 pm
zippifish wrote:

Been leaving mine partially open like that when not in my pocket or opening and closing since Friday, knife is sitting on my desk right now partially open.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tonijedi wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:16 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
tonijedi wrote:
Just can talk about the particular (BEFORE CQI) Chap FRN I have (but heard/read similar impressions a lot from others) of course:
It's probably the knife of all I have with the least "issues".. Just absolutely flawlessly and perfectly made in fit and finish and function, really like a custom knife (they say that's often the case with Taichung knives, I guess so, but only had two myself till now).
Unbelievable solid lockup.
Clip (even BEFORE CQI): No issues, lockbar a bit harder to depress initially, but broke in very nicely...
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Unadan wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:06 pm
I only have the newest Chaparral FRN - can someone post a pic of the old and new together - are there any obvious differences?
Only have the "old" one, but I am pretty sure it is not different to the "new" one, except slightly deeper/rounder/whatever slots for the clip and maybe slightly different clip screw position...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Took some comparison pictures of the Dragonfly, Chap LW, and Delica. I think the Chap LW is going to kick both of those out of my pocket!

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wright.88 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:45 pm
Took some comparison pictures of the Dragonfly, Chap LW, and Delica. I think the Chap LW is going to kick both of those out of my pocket!
Thanks for the pics!

They show very well how much edge the Chap really offers in relation to the closed size, compared to both Delica and DFly...

/ Hope you do some cutting (comparisons) too... if so, I'm pretty sure the Chap will indeed kick the other two out of your pocket... :D
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

Last week I screwed up my address on my order since we moved, it got cancelled and then Chap went out of stock. Checked Spyderco website this morning and I think I got one. It shipped same day. Yay!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Thought I'd give a little update... Mine has broken in nicely over the last few days, action is now buttery smooth and the lock bar feels the same as it does on my Raffir. No issues with the clip after tightening it down.

It's now living up to the high expectations I had for it. :)
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:03 pm
Thought I'd give a little update... Mine has broken in nicely over the last few days, action is now buttery smooth and the lock bar feels the same as it does on my Raffir. No issues with the clip after tightening it down.

It's now living up to the high expectations I had for it. :)

Great to hear!

When I got mine (like half a year ago, pre-cqi), I really had no expectations. Just wanted something small for IWB on shorter runs.
Then that thing really blew me away totally unexpectedly. Cutting performance, but also fit and finish, the uber-solid lock and the very stable and secure feel in hand for such a thin knife (for me more stable than the Native 5 lw, as soon as you not only hold the knives, but actually use them).

So I "hyped" the Chap LW a bit on the forum, and hope it will live up to that for people who maybe happened to read one or the other of my Chap-posts... :rolleyes:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wright.88 wrote:
Could you maybe post one more comparison pic showing the opened knives from above? So comparing thickness (thinness) of handles and blade stocks?
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:59 pm
Wright.88 wrote:
Could you maybe post one more comparison pic showing the opened knives from above? So comparing thickness (thinness) of handles and blade stocks?
Here you go! Handle thickness: Chap LW<Dragonfly<Delica. Blade thickness: Chap LW<Dragonfly=Delica.