Chaparral FRN CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Chaparral FRN CQI

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:14 pm
.... May look into it again after the CQI..though I found it so slim that sometimes it didn't feel as secure in hand as I would have liked....
Funny you'd say this, for me one of the amazing things about the Chap FRN exactly is, how very secure it feels in hand despite its "slimness":

I compared it to the Native 5 lw in that aspect. If I just held the knives (both with index finger in the choil), I maybe felt like the Native is more secure.
But when actually USING them, for me the Chap felt more secure without a doubt. The Native had a tendency to roll and turn in the hand when for example whittling wood. Never the Chap, it's like glued in my hand...

Don't know why that is, might be just the different texruring of the handle, or that the Chaps handle geometry happens to be perfect for my L to XL hands.
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I hope to see these soon! I've got the itch!
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Stopped by the SFO yesterday, and Joyce (tremendously helpful and nice) told me they had already rolled out the updated version. Mine had some significant deformation of the FRN and the wire clip was being squashed out sideways by the screw. Unfortunately I didn't get a side-by-side photo with the new one, but the new slots are just a hint deeper, and more importantly, they appear to have a radiused inside surface, which will hopefully help with seating the clip! The only issue with my new one is going to be breaking in the lock again. This one has a SIGNIFICANTLY more heavy (if not very stiff) backlock. I'm suspecting the spring isn't seated in properly, and will have to adjust it later this afternoon.
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

If I order one from Spyderco will it be the new version? Thanks
olywa

Post by olywa »

This is the issue with my original. The wire clip doesn't sit as deep in the frn as my other wire clipped Spydies. The grooves are not as deep so the clip ends ride above flush. My others are all flush.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

olywa wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:15 am
This is the issue with my original. The wire clip doesn't sit as deep in the frn as my other wire clipped Spydies. The grooves are not as deep so the clip ends ride above flush. My others are all flush.

So the cqi was a real good move, I guess... :)
(though I personally don't have issues with the clip on my Chap FRN)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cali

Post by cali »

That is great that the issue is solved in the new release... but I am an owner of an original Chaparral FRN, and I constantly fight with the clip, what should I do?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cali wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:07 am
That is great that the issue is solved in the new release... but I am an owner of an original Chaparral FRN, and I constantly fight with the clip, what should I do?
Is this something a little blue loctite would take care of?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

cali wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:07 am

If mine gives me trouble, I may Dremel the troughs a bit deeper.
- best wishes, Jazz.
cali

Post by cali »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 am
The problem is that the clip is not held in the channels properly. It loosens itself even if the screw keeps tight.
Jazz wrote: If mine gives me trouble, I may Dremel the troughs a bit deeper.
It looked like a good idea... Why hadn't I thought about it earlier? Until I tried and made a hole through the scale. But only in one place in one channel. And the clip is now indeed properly kept in place :D So... thanks... sort of :rolleyes: And I recommend being careful during modifying a knife in such way.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

I must be missing something. Basically the knife is defective, and from the posts here no one really cares, just can't wait to spend money on a properly designed new one????

I have the FRN Chap and love the knife, but if the clip fails will be sending it back and expecting a new version or proper repair.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cali wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:56 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 am
The problem is that the clip is not held in the channels properly. It loosens itself even if the screw keeps tight.
Ahh ok. I couldn't remember what the actual issue was. I've carried mine quite a bit and haven't had a problem. I'll have to compare with some others with FRN & wire clip to see if there's a notable difference.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

cali wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:56 am
It looked like a good idea... Why hadn't I thought about it earlier? Until I tried and made a hole through the scale. But only in one place in one channel. And the clip is now indeed properly kept in place :D So... thanks... sort of :rolleyes: And I recommend being careful during modifying a knife in such way.

Well, thanks for the warning. I was wondering how thin it was. Can you see the hole with the clip on?
- best wishes, Jazz.
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

Confirmed with Spyderco the Chaparral I ordered this morning will be the improved model. Can't wait to get it!
cali

Post by cali »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:35 pm
Well, thanks for the warning. I was wondering how thin it was. Can you see the hole with the clip on?
No, the hole is under the wire. The problem is solved, damage is minimal :)
That is the third issue I that needed tinkering (first - stiff lockback required repositioning of the spring, second - scales rubbing the ricasso part of the blade - solved by grinding the FRN scales a bit - maybe this also is fixed in CQI release?).
bouhunter wrote: I must be missing something. Basically the knife is defective, and from the posts here no one really cares, just can't wait to spend money on a properly designed new one????

I have the FRN Chap and love the knife, but if the clip fails will be sending it back and expecting a new version or proper repair.
You are right, but I do not like to send knives to USA and I like to tinker... and I suppose that after my tinkering customer service would not repair the knife.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Mine just arrived. Production date is GS (July 2019). It is so thin! The FRN style on this one is my new favorite - very grippy in both directions and it looks great. The action and lock are very tight but I'm sure it will break in with a lot of use. I will adjust the pivot if needed. The size of this is perfect for lightweight carry. The Chap will probably be replacing the Dragonfly in my pocket for workouts, at-home, secondary knife, and light carry.

I took an up-close picture of the clip in case someone wanted to see the CQI change. Not sure if the difference is visible.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:11 pm
.... The action and lock are very tight but I'm sure it will break in with a lot of use. I will adjust the pivot if needed. ...

Glad you like it!

Mine did break in nicely, but I had to open and close it approximately several hundred times for that.
I'm sure you read already about the mod that makes the lock smooth immidiately if you don't want to wait (relocating the spring about 2 or 3 mm more forward)?
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:19 pm
FullFlatMind wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:11 pm
.... The action and lock are very tight but I'm sure it will break in with a lot of use. I will adjust the pivot if needed. ...

Glad you like it!

Mine did break in nicely, but I had to open and close it approximately several hundred times for that.
I'm sure you read already about the mod that makes the lock smooth immidiately if you don't want to wait (relocating the spring about 2 or 3 mm more forward)?
Yep, I read about the mod but I'm going to try breaking it in first. I won't mind opening/closing it hundreds of times. :D
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I recommend a touch of lube where the knife contacts the backlock (and maybe the pin holding the backlock)
That made a big difference in my opinion
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Grubetown,

Welcome to our forum.

sal