The Future of the Para 2? I'm sort of worried

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: The Future of the Para 2? I'm sort of worried

Post by James Y »

Joe,

Some people just prefer 3" blade lengths. I like anything from just over 4" down to about 2.5". But many people do not want to carry a big folder. There's nothing wrong with that. I have Militaires, a PM 2 and a Para 3. I like all of them. Of the three designs, I like the Military and Para3 more than the PM2. I like the PM 2, but for whatever reason it hasn't grown on me like it has for lots of other people.

But the PM2 is popular enough that I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:38 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:28 pm
... here in Missouri >> and GOD love Missouri we can still EDC a folder with a 4 inch blade limit.....
JD, I'm pretty sure that 4" blade limit is only on concealed knives. There is no length limit, I believe, on "open carry" knives here in Missouri.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/missouri/
And Connor you might be technically right on that one. There is a police officer I've befriended here locally and we frequently talk at a local coffee shop and show off our knives to each other. He is a county Sheriff's deputy and he told me that as long as my folder blade is 4 inches or less I would never be taken to task about it>> so I just assumed that was the state legal limit. Now he is mostly into Spyderco's and Victorinox's first responder type blades so it's a moote point with him anyway. He also said that he didn't even care if I carried an automatic as long as I wasn't involved in any illegal activity. Personally I don't even care for automatics that much anyway. We actually have a collector's provision here in Missouri for people who want to collect automatics ( Switchblades) and it's totally legal in spite of the Federal laws >> we can even buy them freely at all the Gun Shows here on the Missouri side>> but on the Kansas side of the line it's a completely different story all together. The state of Kansas is really down on automatics for some strange reason and I just don't get it. Because Kansas is really more of a rural state than we are.

I've open carried fixed blades in rural counties here in Missouri and I've never ever had any police even talk to me about it ever. I've also heard that because of Spyderco's and other companies now implementing the visible pocket clips that keeps them from being legally defined as concealed. I had one of the Gun Show directors tell me that. I think he's right too.
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

As long as Spyderco keeps pumping out the sprint PM2's, I think its one their cash cows.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

W7H2O wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:10 pm
As long as Spyderco keeps pumping out the sprint PM2's, I think its one their cash cows.
Yeah I think you're on the money. But it wouldn't be the first time Spyderco has disco'd a model that myself and many others dearly loved. Because I've always had an affinity for those GOLDEN, CO USA Earth made models>> and I know I'm not alone on that one. Another GOLDEN made model the Dodo needs to come back to the main line up in SE & PE both and I bet I'm not alone on that one either.

If they would offer up the C-36 Military and Para 2 both in the full Spyderedge option I bet their sales would catapult at least 30 to 40%. I can't tell you how many of the new people I've talked to here on the forum that want the C-36 Military available again in SE. So you just know that these other models would do well in both edge types. Or at least make 10% of every run in SE so that way you know for sure they would sell out.

And what the heck you could even do a few in Combo edge. I used to have a C-36 Military in CE and I now wish I would have kept it.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I doubt the PM2 is going anywhere. It's the quintessential American-made recommendation in many knife communities.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

personally, i don’t care for the pm2 and actually preferred the para3’s ergos. that said, the pm2 is pretty iconic for spyderco and i don’t see it going anywhere.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

If you are worried about the Para 3 replacing the PM2 don't be it is said that the worst thing about the Para 3 is it's not a PM2.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zippifish wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:08 pm
If you are worried about the Para 3 replacing the PM2 don't be it is said that the worst thing about the Para 3 is it's not a PM2.
I see what you're saying but that's not really what my overall point is. With all the political correctness that so many companies seem to be caving in on it worries me at times with that particular type of political pressure for trends to be developed for stricter knife and gun laws. And I want to stop that non-sense before it even gets off the ground>> and I hope most of Spyderville residents feel the same way.

And as I said on one of my earlier posts the great sales that the Para 3 has garnered sort of worried me that the mainstream public pressure might persuade companies like Spyderco ( or any other knife company for that matter) to cave into more draconian laws limiting the types of knives and guns we the people will be able to buy. That's one concern I always have. I'm pro- Second Amendment all the way. And yes knives are also a big part of the Second Amendment too.

The other concern I have is that Spyderco needs to hear from us periodically. Because the knife loving public wants models like the C-36 Military and Para 2. I think you all are right for the most part that the Para 3 is not at all intended to replace the Para 2. I don't believe at all now that the Para 3 is intended to replace the Para 2>> I now think it's just another great model to add to their great line up. Because when I started this thread I really wasn't totally sure but after reading all your feedback I'm now assured that was never even a consideration at all. I am relieved to say the least.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What's funny to me is the progression of these models. If you really want to be technical, the Para 3 is more true to the "mini Military" than the Para 2, because it's closer to the size of the original Paramilitary, while the Para 2 was essentially a Paramilitary XL.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:53 pm
The Meat man wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
... here in Missouri >> and GOD love Missouri we can still EDC a folder with a 4 inch blade limit.....
JD, I'm pretty sure that 4" blade limit is only on concealed knives. There is no length limit, I believe, on "open carry" knives here in Missouri.

And Connor you might be technically right on that one. There is a police officer I've befriended here locally and we frequently talk at a local coffee shop and show off our knives to each other. He is a county Sheriff's deputy and he told me that as long as my folder blade is 4 inches or less I would never be taken to task about it>> so I just assumed that was the state legal limit. Now he is mostly into Spyderco's and Victorinox's first responder type blades so it's a moote point with him anyway. He also said that he didn't even care if I carried an automatic as long as I wasn't involved in any illegal activity. Personally I don't even care for automatics that much anyway. We actually have a collector's provision here in Missouri for people who want to collect automatics ( Switchblades) and it's totally legal in spite of the Federal laws >> we can even buy them freely at all the Gun Shows here on the Missouri side>> but on the Kansas side of the line it's a completely different story all together. The state of Kansas is really down on automatics for some strange reason and I just don't get it. Because Kansas is really more of a rural state than we are.

I've open carried fixed blades in rural counties here in Missouri and I've never ever had any police even talk to me about it ever. I've also heard that because of Spyderco's and other companies now implementing the visible pocket clips that keeps them from being legally defined as concealed. I had one of the Gun Show directors tell me that. I think he's right too.

Yeah, as far as I know there are absolutely no restrictions on simply possessing, carrying, or using automatic knives in Missouri. (The ban was lifted in 2012.) The federal ban which is still in effect has only to do with interstate activity (as I understand it) and so it doesn't have any effect really on what happens within the State.

Like you JD I've also open carried large fixed blades (and even a revolver once) in public places like Wal-Mart and never got a glance. I've never, ever had anyone respond negatively to my carry knife.
Missouri is a great state. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

The PM2 is their most popular model of all time. Maybe 2nd to the Delica. It's not going anywhere.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I'm not worried. The Para 3 is definitely not my cup of tea. The PM2 is pretty close to the ideal knife on the planet. Not everyone agrees of course, and some folks have to live with length restrictions -- but I can't imagine the PM2 vanishing. But it is all about sales figures. If nobody buys a model, what can Spyderco do? I am doing my part and have bought several PM2 and there could be more in my future, or maybe not. How many does a guy need after all.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
I've open carried fixed blades in rural counties here in Missouri
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:50 pm
Nice light saber... :D

It took me by surprise when they discontinued such an iconic car as the Viper, but the Para2 still has a lot more of colors and steels to offer. I can only see the end of the C36 Military model a couple of years after the Millie2 is introduced.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

It will be discontinued when the sun rises at west and sets at east.
PM2 is THE Spyderco model. Year after year it is one the best selling models in most od the shops.
I
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 pm
I'm not worried. The Para 3 is definitely not my cup of tea. The PM2 is pretty close to the ideal knife on the planet. Not everyone agrees of course, and some folks have to live with length restrictions -- but I can't imagine the PM2 vanishing. But it is all about sales figures. If nobody buys a model, what can Spyderco do? I am doing my part and have bought several PM2 and there could be more in my future, or maybe not. How many does a guy need after all.
Right now at this time if for some reason I would not be legally allowed to carry my M390 Military model then one of the Para 2 models with a supersteel blade would be my next selection for my main EDC. But I'll EDC a C-36 supersteel Millie as long as it's legal here in Missouri. And I don't look for that to change anytime soon with the legal landscape we have now. Heck we are even a great state for guns as far as that goes.

I doubt I would even carry a Para 3>> just isn't my cup of tea so to speak>> the blade is just too short for my cutting chores. I would even take a Dodo over a Para 3. There are at least 12 other Spyderco models I would EDC before I would even consider a Para 3. But for poor unfortunate guys and gals who live in a really draconian state or country that has super strict knife laws my heart goes out to you all.

I do sincerely hope that the Para 2 is a permanent fixture in Spyderco's main line up. GOD Bless the USA!!
archangel

Post by archangel »

What I don't understand is how everybody seems to accept that the Para 3 costs almost the same as the PM2, though it's a good part smaller. Only $6,50 difference between the two S110V versions. I find this disturbing, would love to get an explanation.

I don't own a Para 3 yet just because I find it too expensive for its size. The price I paid for my PM2 20CV seems much more appropriate.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:01 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Yeah, as far as I know there are absolutely no restrictions on simply possessing, carrying, or using automatic knives in Missouri. (The ban was lifted in 2012.) The federal ban which is still in effect has only to do with interstate activity (as I understand it) and so it doesn't have any effect really on what happens within the State.

Like you JD I've also open carried large fixed blades (and even a revolver once) in public places like Wal-Mart and never got a glance. I've never, ever had anyone respond negatively to my carry knife.
Missouri is a great state. :D
It's my dream at some point to start a high end knife shop here in Missouri. Because the state of Missouri is sportsman friendly and particularly for outdoor sportsmen as well. The hunting and fishing seasons here in Missouri has become a very big business and huge for the economy. And deer hunting has become so easy it's almost now the equivalent of nailing a cottontail rabbit>> yeah that's how abundant whitetail deer are here in Missouri as I write this. We drove though the Lake Jacomo area on the way home this evening and I counted over 100 deer grazing>> and that's the ones you can see out in the open.
The only two other states I would rather live in than Missouri would be Montana or Idaho. I've got friends that moved to both states and they won't even come back here for a visit because they like it up there in the Northwest Rockies.
I was talking to a local pawn shop owner two days ago and they told me that most of the knives they sell are Buck, Case, Ka-Bar and some Kershaw. The owner told me that he's only known of Spyderco for two to three years now. That just tells me that there is a huge, untapped market right here in this state. And I bet the Military, Para 2 and Para 3 would all be hard to keep on the shelves once people find out about them. I run into at least 3 to 5 people a month that have not yet heard of Spyderco>> It's still a fresh market for high end knives here in Missouri for sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

archangel wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:15 pm
What I don't understand is how everybody seems to accept that the Para 3 costs almost the same as the PM2, though it's a good part smaller. Only $6,50 difference between the two S110V versions. I find this disturbing, would love to get an explanation.

I don't own a Para 3 yet just because I find it too expensive for its size. The price I paid for my PM2 20CV seems much more appropriate.
Yeah like I said earlier the Para 2 model is about as small as I can go anymore and still feel like I've got a real knife on me. Only a small specialty knife like the Dodo model would I ever consider as an EDC. Because of it's vast versatility. I could comfortably field dress a deer with a Para 2>> the Para 3 would not do nearly as well and I'm absolutely sure of it.
As far as the price goes>> well it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't blame Spyderco at all for selling Para 3 at almost the same price as the Para 2. I love Spyderco's selection and that they have a wide range of knives to please virtually everyone. I just don't want to see any of the bigger folders become extinct because of the popularity of smaller folders like the Para 3. And that's pretty much the underlying message of this thread.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Me and most Spyderco users I personally know irl aren't really interested in PM3s here. We have no actual limit on blade size in my country, and the PM2 is just a more balanced knife overall, blade tapers more slowly to a finer tip and the blade is just more useful tbh. Ok there is a technical limit on blade size of 15cm, double guard, a specific maximum blade width etc., over which the knife is listed as a "weapon", but that's it. It's a weapon, but its not illegal to carry said weapon unless you're in public transportation/government building. Luckily, I'm not a big fan of a double guard, double edged machete that's a quarter of an inch thick as my EDC lol. Yea, politicians aren't the smartest when they write these laws, but it's most likely phrased like that because 90% of them are hunters/weapon lovers so they write it for themselves :D Lucky me.