I'm conflicted on next purchase...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flasharry

I'm conflicted on next purchase...

Post by flasharry »

My online supplier has just got in a shipment of the Dragonfly Wharncliffe.. I was thinking of a L'il Native, but the DF has me thinking... any thoughts on those who own either.. both look like a nice small EDC which is exactly what I'm in the market for.. and no, sadly funds for both is not an option, much as wish it were...
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
SG89

Re: I'm conflicted on next purchase...

Post by SG89 »

My wharncliffe dragonfly is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I have edc'd a lil native comp lock ever since they were first released. That being said... I would say go for the wharncliffe dragonfly first. Especially if funds are low. The wharncliffe dragonfly should be an absolute workhorse...
Save up for the Lil Native when you are ready to try something new again. The Lil Native is a tank.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ask yourself, lightweight cutting machine, or mini tank? Love the Lil Native.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Funny you should ask. I just bought another dragonfly. This time it was a salt model. I like the fact that it is so light weight that you don’t even know you got it with you until you need it. The Warrencliffe has attracted my attention and I will probably buy one for much the same reasons as it is a powerful cutter And weighsis next to nothing.

The Lil Native backlockIs as handsome of a knife as you’ll ever find. It is a lot heavier than a dragonfly but the blade is also much thicker. The fit and finish are really good. I tried some on my usual slicing activities like eating an apple like a country boy pulling the blade towards my thumb and slicing off a piece. The spine is thick but it quickly tapers to a very fine edge. I would say given the shortness of the blade that it slices as well as my Caly3.What I mean is that I was surprised at how well it did.

If weight and cutting power are your top priorities then the dragonfly is the obvious choice. But if you want a handsome tank of a knife but still slices decently and hold the edge longer then it have to be the little native.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Love both, get the Dragonfly and wait for a sprint or exclusive in the Lil Native.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Thanks all.. Will probably decide tomorrow... (a few wee drams of good Scotch can not be good for a rational decision) will let you know what the deal is..
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Chaparral LW is almost always the best choice. Spyderco doesn’t make a better small EDC knife.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Wait for sprints of both! Jk but a zdp189 wharny dragonfly would be killer.

I'd go with the dragonfly unless you're wanting to impress people if they ask to borrow your knife. Never heard someone pick up an frn Spyderco and say "man this is a nice knife". But, it is a nice knife.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I own both the Wharncliffe Dragonfly and a couple Lil Natives. I've been carrying the Dragonfly Wharnie since I received it on Monday and have used the Lil Native's extensively. Even though they're both so small, you will want to consider weight. At 2.4 oz, the Lil Native is double the weight of the Dragonfly. I never would've thought this would be noticeable until I started carrying the Dragonfly. It basically disappears in pocket, it's so light! Obviously whether or not you want the knife to have some belly is a consideration as well. If budget is a concern, I would recommend the Dragonfly.
:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:34 pm
Chaparral LW is almost always the best choice. Spyderco doesn’t make a better small EDC knife.
+1
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:13 pm
zhyla wrote:
+1
If only they were available.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Unadan wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:38 am
Wartstein wrote:
zhyla wrote:
+1
The model is just being "cqi-ed" Sal said... hopefully soon available again.
Though... I have mine already for quite some timr and am still blown away by its quality...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

Unadan wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:38 am
Wartstein wrote:
zhyla wrote:
+1
Patiently waiting.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Well op’s in Canada and a Canadian retailer’s got frn Xhp Chaparral in stock...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:29 am

Though... I have mine already for quite some timr and am still blown away by its quality...
Seconded on the quality of the Chap LW, it's easily one of my forever knives (and those are few and far between).

Any ideas what the CQI will be? If I had to guess I'd say something about the backspring tension or lockbar chamfering to address those complaints (I never had any issues with either but you hear those around...)
~andrew
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

toocool006 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:12 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:29 am

Seconded on the quality of the Chap LW, it's easily one of my forever knives (and those are few and far between).

Any ideas what the CQI will be? If I had to guess I'd say something about the backspring tension or lockbar chamfering to address those complaints (I never had any issues with either but you hear those around...)
CQI is about the slots and screw placement for the wire clip..
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Got the Delica wharncliffe a few months ago in SE and love it.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

+1 Dragonfly