Poll: Smooth G10 vs Peel Ply G10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

what are your thoughts on smooth G10 vs Peel Ply G10?

I only like Peel Ply G10 and flat out refuse to buy smooth G10
11%
I prefer Peel Ply G10, but smooth G10 isn't a deal breaker
49%
I like both equally
21%
I only like smooth G10 and flat out refuse to buy Peel Ply G10
No votes
I prefer smooth G10, but Peel Ply G10 isn't a deal breaker
17%
I hate all G10
1%

Total votes: 71

steelcity16

Poll: Smooth G10 vs Peel Ply G10?

Post by steelcity16 »

After seeing yet another Cruwear exclusive (Manix) dressed in smooth G10, I am left wondering if anyone actually prefers this to Peel Ply G10? The sales for the smooth G10 Cruwear Para 3 and PM2 where pretty slow considering the popularity of Cruwear, and I am assuming that the smooth scales and boring old black scale color were the reasons. I would think a peel ply G10 Cruwear Manix, PM2, or Para 3 in a non-black color would be an instant sell out. Guessing this Manix will be around for awhile.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on smooth G10 vs Peel Ply G10?

I love the peel ply G10 and flat out refuse to buy smooth G10.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SG89

Re: Poll: Smooth G10 vs Peel Ply G10?

Post by SG89 »

I love peel ply g10 and even better peel ply carbon fiber
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I like the grippy nature of the G10 on the PM2, but also the smooth G10 on the Shaman.

I reckon the grippy stuff is more suited to knife handles that are less well-mated to the hand as the Shaman is, though. Smooth materials don't affect how well I can hold on to it.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I cannot see needing texture on a Manix. The ergos are so secure that you would have to cover your hands in grease to even think about it slipping out of your hand.

Personally, I feel that a knife that needs texturing is lacking in ergonomics. The knife world is filled with titanium framelocks that are smooth and I haven't heard of anybody having any issues. Plus, when using a knife for a long time texture leads to hot spots. You are less apt to get a blister from a smooth scale. Sometimes Spyderco's bidirectional texturing on their frn tears my hand up.

The only thing I really see peel ply texture doing is increasing the hold that a pocket clip has on a pocket and for that reason I do appreciate it.

This is just one man's opinion though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Gimme deh grippy :)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Prefer peel ply unless we're talking about polished/rounded/contoured.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Peel-ply for me, but if a steel I want comes only with smooth G10, I’ll consider it.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Depends on the knife. Love the smooth on the Shaman. Also like the smooth marbled carbonfiber on the 4v manix.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I like it smooove.

Much prefer CF but smooove G10 isn't a deal breaker.

Peel-Ply G10 isn't a deal breaker either because I know I can make it smooove.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

My list goes like this:

-Grooved(Caribbean)
-Titanium
-Smooth Micarta/G10
-Peel Ply
-Solid CF

None are a deal breaker, unless stupidly abrasive. Spyderco has never given me any issues in the handle department, always perfect.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

I much prefer smooth handles to peel ply. I find that the handle shape of the knife is more important. I use my knife a lot. I would say I pull it out about 10 times a day sometimes more depending on the job I’m doing. That puts a lot of wear on my pockets.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I prefer peel ply, but smooth g10 / micarta works alright for certain models like the Swick, Street Beat, etc.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I like them both, but on different types of knives.

I like smooth on the smaller "gents" type knives. I prefer peel on bigger, more "outdoors" knives.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Dress up = smooth

Hard user = texture
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am one of those who prefer Peel Ply but have no beef with smooth. When I first got the Cruwear PM2 with smooth G10 I was rankled. I bristled. I complained (to myself). Then I grew to like it. I reflected that most knives I had in my youth (back shortly after the end of the Civil War) had smooth handles. And I noticed that the PM2 wasn't flying out of my hand like a wet fish. In fact it did and does just fine. A knife I am glad to own and will treasure and keep.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:37 pm
I love peel ply g10 and even better peel ply carbon fiber
I'll second that and those are my sentiments exactly. But overall I just love G-10 handles of just about any variant. And I do agree with Spydergirl about the Peel-Ply CF handles as well. But for some reason I still tend to gravitate toward G-10 overall for hard use, EDC handles.

I would like to see Spyderco take a lesson from one of my other favorite knife companies>> I'm speaking of Klotzli of Switzerland. They do more with Carbon Fiber handles than anyone else I know of>> and they are so a artistic with CF too. I kind of wish that they would do more colors and designs with G-10 as well.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

If I could have things my way, every knife would have nice contouring and smooth surfaces. Except bone, I like jigged bone.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me, it depends. I can live with peel-ply G10 on a knife that's just going to be part of my collection, but on one I intend to carry it's pretty much of a deal breaker unless the scales can be easily removed and smoothed. If the only two choices are smooth and peel-ply, I'll take smooth but there are options Spyderco has yet to explore. CNC machining can easily produce textures that offer equal or better grip than peel-ply while being exponentially more eye appealing. Just look at some of the things being done with handgun grips.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:56 pm
For me, it depends. I can live with peel-ply G10 on a knife that's just going to be part of my collection, but on one I intend to carry it's pretty much of a deal breaker unless the scales can be easily removed and smoothed. If the only two choices are smooth and peel-ply, I'll take smooth but there are options Spyderco has yet to explore. CNC machining can easily produce textures that offer equal or better grip than peel-ply while being exponentially more eye appealing. Just look at some of the things being done with handgun grips.
This is very true and I've both titanium and g10 knives with very nice machining. It would be neat if Spyderco teamed up with Hogue for some g10 handles. Probably impossible since Hogue also makes knives.

Another point is micarta. It is kinda tacky without any texturing, especially that matte micarta that Lt Wright uses. I've never worried about grip on those knives even when my hands get sweaty and the handle is shaped like a stick.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I voted for >
"I prefer Peel Ply G10, but smooth G10 isn't a deal breaker."
Which at the moment, has 30 of 58 votes. So for the time being. That's a majority choice.

First off. I like variety. Having a few smooth ones, is nice.
If the question had been asked differently. Like "If you could have only one knife. Would it have Peel Ply G10, or smooth G10?"
I'd have to pick the Peel Ply. It really is fantastic, for me.

The Spyderco C101CFPE2 Manix 2 CPM 154/CPM S90V comes to mind right away, as an example.