Urban and UKPK - twins on different continents

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Urban and UKPK - twins on different continents

Post by archangel »

Fiddling my new AEB-L Urban and my S110V UKPK. They are so similar! Same shape of the scales (except for the very end) , same surface pattern on the scales, same clip, looks like they are even having the same screws. Only tiny differences. Partly open construction of the PK, slightly different location of the spydiehole, position of the middle screw, and of course the size and the handle color. And the steel. :p Oh, and the Urban is much stiffer. By the way, yours too? Edit: Urban blade is thicker, and PK grind is much nicer.

Despite their similarities, they are produced on different continents!! :eek: Why is that so? Why produce two such similar knives on two different continents? Just to be able to make use of local steels?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
jdw

Re: Urban and UKPK - twins on different continents

Post by jdw »

I would love to see a comparison pic if you have one!?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
archangel

Post by archangel »

Not a picmaster this one is... :eek:
20190703_214655-1612x1209.jpg
20190703_214727-1612x1209.jpg
20190703_214753-1612x1209.jpg
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The HH Exclusive UKPK is in a different galaxy! :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Whatever the reason for different plants, I certainly hope the ukpk never jumps to Italy to be manufactured. It’s perfect out of Golden.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jdw

Post by jdw »

Thanks. I can certainly see the similarities. I still don't have the UKPK but I probably need to get one.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
awa54

Post by awa54 »

the Urban started out in Japan and first gen. UKPKs had thicker blade stock and a full length backspring...

personally I like the original UKPK better than the current FRN version. and I much prefer the backspring action on the Italian made UKPK derivatives (DKPK, Urban & Squeek) over the FRN UKPKs I own

my current order of preference is; Ti UKPK, BB exclusive Urban + Cuscadi CF scales, with a close third to the Ti Squeek.

If a Ti/Elmax Urban ever winds up in production it will likely become my all time favorite of this series.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:29 pm
the Urban started out in Japan and first gen. UKPKs had thicker blade stock and a full length backspring...

personally I like the original UKPK better than the current FRN version. and I much prefer the backspring action on the Italian made UKPK derivatives (DKPK, Urban & Squeek) over the FRN UKPKs I own

my current order of preference is; Ti UKPK, BB exclusive Urban + Cuscadi CF scales, with a close third to the Ti Squeek.

If a Ti/Elmax Urban ever winds up in production it will likely become my all time favorite of this series.
I did not like the original UKPK because the springs were too soft. The springs on the current urban or a little bit too hard but still better than the soft ones of the UK PK. However I have heard that the new springs on the BD1NUKPK and very nice. The Skweek that I had the springs were far too weak to make me feel comfortable however The action on my Pingo is about as perfect as it can be. The Pingo actually has nice walk and talk. I’ve been tempted to buy the ti Squeak But have been afraid to because of my previous experience.

As Four of the urban it hits the perfect sweet spot as far as size and weight and cutting edge goes. That little knife has a slightly longer cutting edge than the chaparral as I said earlier In a shorter overall package.

Apologies for all the typos. I’m having to actually speak and let this thing do the typing. The good thing is if I say something to make everyone mad I can blame it on the computer. Ha ha Ha ha ha
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:00 pm
Whatever the reason for different plants, I certainly hope the ukpk never jumps to Italy to be manufactured. It’s perfect out of Golden.
Agreed!! I'm blown away by that HH model. A joy to carry and use anytime I grab for it. Hands down best slip joint model Spyderco has to offer.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:04 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:00 pm
Agreed!! I'm blown away by that HH model. A joy to carry and use anytime I grab for it. Hands down best slip joint model Spyderco has to offer.

Yup. This!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The springs seem to vary from model to model. The recent models are pretty good. The s110v and bd1n are maybe on the slightly soft (but totally acceptable) side. The k390 and HH Red G 10 ukpk are perfect for me. The new aebl urban is a little stiff for me. They are all fine if you only have one. This is my impression in a side by side comparison. All good, just slight differences. Might change over time.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:13 pm

I did not like the original UKPK because the springs were too soft. The springs on the current urban or a little bit too hard but still better than the soft ones of the UK PK. However I have heard that the new springs on the BD1NUKPK and very nice. The Skweek that I had the springs were far too weak to make me feel comfortable however The action on my Pingo is about as perfect as it can be. The Pingo actually has nice walk and talk. I’ve been tempted to buy the ti Squeak But have been afraid to because of my previous experience.

As Four of the urban it hits the perfect sweet spot as far as size and weight and cutting edge goes. That little knife has a slightly longer cutting edge than the chaparral as I said earlier In a shorter overall package.

Apologies for all the typos. I’m having to actually speak and let this thing do the typing. The good thing is if I say something to make everyone mad I can blame it on the computer. Ha ha Ha ha ha

There must have been a "bad" first run or massive sample variation in the first gen. UKPK, because I have both blade shapes in foliage green G10 as well as the CF and a Ti Sprints, of these the Ti (also the newest IIRC) has the softest spring tension, but it's still an order of magnitude better than either of the split spring FRN UKPKs I own, which border on unacceptably soft... Granted they are both early BD1 models, one sabre grind, the other first run FFG, but I have trouble imagining that the split spring configuration can give as good results as a correctly implemented full length spring.

Don't be afraid of the Ti Sqeak, it has fantastic blade action and Elmax is a really nice steel! I let myself be put off by how stubby it looks, but eventually gave in and bought one at the clearance price and I'm glad I did, because it's a great little knife and gets more pocket time than any other Slipit I own.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The "sawed off" ukpk handle that the urban uses is so perfect! Hoping for more sprints