Users, Collectors, and Social Media Madness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Users, Collectors, and Social Media Madness

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I agree with your above point Ankerson but I have seen good quality knives for under fifty dollars. A person does not have to be very wealthy to get good knives, they just need to shop around and have the desire: For example, look at the Spyderco Byrd line. There is an entire line of economical knives that any man or woman with under fifty dollars in US dollars can get themselves a quality knife or two that will stand up to hard use for years to come with slight maintenance. For the price of a few lottery tickets or six packs of beer, or for the price of a couple of modern movie tickets (depending on where they go to see movies), they can have themselves a decently-made cutting tool.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:51 pm
I agree with your above point Ankerson but I have seen good quality knives for under fifty dollars. A person does not have to be very wealthy to get good knives, they just need to shop around and have the desire: For example, look at the Spyderco Byrd line. There is an entire line of economical knives that any man or woman with under fifty dollars in US dollars can get themselves a quality knife or two that will stand up to hard use for years to come with slight maintenance. For the price of a few lottery tickets or six packs of beer, or for the price of a couple of modern movie tickets (depending on where they go to see movies), they can have themselves a decently-made cutting tool.

Oh I know and agree.

But a lot of people won't even spend that. ;)

We have all seen it a number of times I suppose.

Different strokes. ;)

It's a constant battle if you choose to fight it.

When it comes to MONEY it's almost always an issue in my experience.

The worst part about it is having to deal with the budget gurus along with the original poster especially on the computer forums. :rolleyes:
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Great replies all around, and it's mad me reflect on my own experience.. I am definitely in between. I have at least two knives that have never been pocketed, but every other blade sees pocket time but the use varies. I hard use the **** out of my bushcraft for example, but my pm2 gets mostly medium tasks while the Shaman gets the gauntlet.

As of right now I have seven Spyderco Folders (smock, spydiechef, shaman, maxamet pm2, 204p pm2, good'ol s30v pm2, yojimbo 2) a protech rosegold calmigo, viper knives fortis, and three fixed blades (The bushcraft as I mentioned, a waterway, and a Kizlyar Stalker because it's badass). Oh, and a set of Spyderthrowers that have seen some recreational beer related outdoor activities.

When it came down to the purchase of these items social media played a part later, but not all of them. My first high end spyderco was the s30v pm2 that I bought at my local Military Surplus store. They always had a descent selection of knives and brands, so that day I went to go fondle a few models as I had no EDC at that time. After looking at the manix, the chef, I finally settled on pm2 for the ergonomics and the comp lock. Over a year later I started amassing models and before I realized it I had a small collection. I'm actually down more knives than I had at my "peak" (funding my vacation at the end of the month / inner reflection thinking to do more with less). Sold off at least four, and traded one recently for the Smock (Smock is amazing). It has been an interesting ride, but now I know exactly "what I'm looking for" in a knife and it has made me appreciate another fundamental skill a whole lot more.
Sharpening, if you're going to have knives... you're going to need to be good at sharpening and that too has so many tools / methods it's practically a whole separate hobby.