Knives you rarely carry but hesitate to part with for non sentimental reasons?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Knives you rarely carry but hesitate to part with for non sentimental reasons?

Post by vivi »

Do you have knives that rarely see pocket time, but you hesitate to get rid of? Knives with zero sentimental value?

I have two that fit those description.

The first is one of the two knives in my pocket today, my brown G10 full sized Calypso. If you asked me my three favorite Sal designed folding knives, I'd obviously pick the Police 4 and Pacific Salt. Number three would be the Calypso.

To me the Calypso is a highly refined gentlemans carry. The handle is very rounded and ergonomic, with very few sharp points. It has a large, roomy grip behind the index choil that melts in my grip. It's one of the few knives that feels just as comfortable in the choil as it does behind it, something I can only say about maybe 3 knives I own.

I love the Calypso for its combination of amazing ergonomics, negative angled full flat grind leaf shaped blade, and how it's perfectly sized to my hands. I owned the Caly jr, 3, 3.5 and UKPK. Amazing ergonomics for such small knives, but I prefer larger handles with more room behind the choil.

Why don't I carry the full sized version often? Well I've rusted the liners on my VG10 Police 3, and I expect with regular EDC I'd do the same to the Calypso. With pinned scales, I can't clean it if so. I like the design but I'm nervous to carry it every day mainly for that reason. Being difficult to replace if I bang it up at work comes to mind too.

But I still love the design, and hesitate to trade it towards another Spyderco I may use more frequently.

The second knife on my list is the Szabo Folder.

This was one of those knives that I knew I had to have the first time I saw it. It's such a cool looking design!

The Szabo isn't all looks. It's another Spyderco like the Calypso, very good ergonomics using the choil or behind it. The handle is spacious and wide, perfect for larger hands.

Thw other things stand out to me with this design.

It's the only implementation of the compression lock with a self close like the lockbacks I love. I'm a big fan of the concept and would like to see it revisited.

The black blade sprint run has my favorite carbon fiber scales from the factory. They're gorgeous and grippy without being abrasive at all.

Wicked looks, excellent ergos, a unique lock and a nice negative blade angle recurve with splinter picker tip. So why does it mostly guard my collection instead of seeing pocket time? It's pretty heavy at 7oz (more than 2x Pacific Salts!) and while the self close is nice from a safe carry aspect, it makes it have stiff opening action. Use and liberal lubing has helped a lot, but it's still not as easy to open as my Pacific Salt and Police.

Even though it isn't as practical for me as a Pacific Salt, I think the Szabo folder is too cool and too unique among Spyderco designs to part ways with it.
:unicorn
cycleguy

Re: Knives you rarely carry but hesitate to part with for non sentimental reasons?

Post by cycleguy »

Most of them! It's called a collection.

CG

P.S. Way cool and two thumbs up for the Szabo Folder...
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Mushroom

Re: Knives you rarely carry but hesitate to part with for non sentimental reasons?

Post by Mushroom »

I have quite a few that could fit this description. They're basically knives I own just to have in my collection because of something I like about them.

The first knife that comes to mind is the K2. It's a lot bigger than I like to carry, but I like owning it because of its size.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:02 pm
Most of them! It's called a collection.

CG

P.S. Way cool and two thumbs up for the Szabo Folder...
I still tell myself I'll only hang on to knives I carry and use. Guess I gotta start carrying these more :D
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sadly, I'm starting to feel this way about my Gayle Bradley 2. I love the knife, the way it looks, the solid feel in hand...I carry it once every few weeks, though not as much now because of the heat and humidity.

It's one of the few knives in my non stainless collection, that I don't want to patina. The blade shape isn't exactly ideal for my work purposes either. A lot of times I carry it, and don't even use it. But...something about it, I just can't let go. Would make sense to do so for something else that would get some use. But my heart tells me NO every time I debate it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Bbs pm2. I think I'm too attached to the blue and that if I part with it it'd be difficult to get another.
"Seven for One"
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

40th anniversary, jade m4 pm2, superblue Dfly, p'kal.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

pretty much all of my knives from other makers. mostly cheaper knives that are plenty good, but not as much of a joy to carry as a spyderco. they aren't really worth much to anyone else and i still like every one of them. all of my spyderco knives get cycled through the rotation, but only one is a semi-rare exclusive. just so happens that it's also my favorite and was bought to be carried and used.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd say it's definitely the harder-to-find designs in my collection for sure. Knives like the PITS, Squarehead, Chokwe, and Zulu are some of my personal favorite Spyderco collaborative milestones, and they are best appreciated in hand. I don't carry them every day (they do see some pocket time), but I'm very happy to have them.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pretty much every knife I've used. They're too used to get decent money out of so I'd feel like I'm giving them away so I just keep them. Maybe someday my kids or grandkids will use them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tims

Post by Tims »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:50 am
Pretty much every knife I've used. They're too used to get decent money out of so I'd feel like I'm giving them away so I just keep them. Maybe someday my kids or grandkids will use them.
Same story for me. I feel like I’d have to sell 4 to buy 1.

I would like to move some on though, looking at them is a constant reminder of my financial frivolity and mindless materialism.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Manix2 LW-i hate the choil,but i love everything else about it.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have a whole bunch that fall into this category. I really like the knives and enjoy having them but I rarely carry or use them.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have a large number of Spyderco knives in my collection that have no sentimental value but which, while I rarely or never use, have no interest in parting with either.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Sage 4, Sage 3. Sage 4 has a split in the wood that I don't want to exacerbate, and both of them are just not my favorite carries.
Lil' Nilakka. I love this knife, but it's so small, and it's pretty rare, so I tend to baby it.
Chaparral Raffir Noble. This one had the clip snag on a door and split the scale a little around the clip itself and it doesn't really stay clipped to pants, and I've been too lazy to send it in, so I don't carry it much.
Endura HAP-40. It's bigger than my usual daily preferences, and when I need a bigger blade I usually just grab the PM2.
Techno. I still love this knife, but the Techno 2 is still winning out.

Other than that, pretty much all the rest get some (relatively) regular pocket time. Even the Zulu, Meerkat, or Introvert get carry time on Weird Knife Wednesday (like the Zulu is today).
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Tatanka. Just don’t carry it (size and weight), but it’s my only powerlock, and its swedges play nicely in the light and are nice to feel.

Superleaf and original Manix. Pocket-hogs each, and the latter is a bit heftier than I now like, so they’re in the rotation only once in a while.

Police4 and Calypso. Love each (except for their lock-rock), but they’re carried infrequently, not because of their intrinsic qualities, but because I carry on whim. For the past several weeks, the Lil’ Native has owned me.

These are just some of note.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
blues

Post by blues »

More than I care to admit. On the bright side, I've helped do my part to keep honorable companies, (like Spyderco), and many custom makers in business. And I'm happy for that.
- Retired from the chase -
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

All my non Spyderco knives haha... reach for other brands to do cutting tasks and wondered why I even bothered and just grab something from the spydie collection to actually get the job done.

Also my Manix 2... the knife just isnt for me for various reasons despite being a great cutter,beefy as **** and high quality. Mine is just a plain black G10 and S30V one but it's absolutely perfect in fit and finish and feels super premium so I cant bring myself to get rid of it.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

LionSpy. Cool knife and built like a tank, but I don't really need a tank so I usually grab a military instead ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tims wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:02 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:50 am
Same story for me. I feel like I’d have to sell 4 to buy 1.

I would like to move some on though, looking at them is a constant reminder of my financial frivolity and mindless materialism.

If it wasn't for the thought of passing them down I'd more likely donate them to someone I thought would really appreciate them than sell them. I really hate the thought of how much money I have tied up in knives that just sit in boxes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David