Knives you rarely carry but hesitate to part with for non sentimental reasons?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: Knives you rarely carry but hesitate to part with for non sentimental reasons?

Post by anycal »

Most of us have a scale, from most favorite to least favorite. I guess the key word is favorite.

Ultimately, if I didn't want a knife, I wouldn't keep it. Selling knives, selling things in general, is not my thing. If I was, perhaps my collection would be smaller. I gave a few away, and if there were more knife enthusiasts among my friends and family, I'd part with more. If I am going to give a sprint/exclusive away (majority of my collection at this point), the recipient will have to meet some criteria.

Couple on the bottom of the scale, couple I would be ecstatic to have under a different circumstance. Just like all of my knives, they still see some pocket time. But, there are models that just work better for me.

Peter
bearrowland

Re: Knives you rarely carry but hesitate to part with for non sentimental reasons?

Post by bearrowland »

I'll take anyone's PM2 that could use some love! 😁
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

silvershade255 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:37 pm
Bbs pm2. I think I'm too attached to the blue and that if I part with it it'd be difficult to get another.
SAME lol. I rarely use it outside of the house, and I have pieces that are dearer to me. That said, it's a VERY fine instrument, and performance-wise there's nothing about the platform or the M390 steel that I could ask for improvement on! So, given it's rarity, with me it stays :cool:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Tims

Post by Tims »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:29 am
Tims wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:02 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:50 am
Pretty much every knife I've used. They're too used to get decent money out of so I'd feel like I'm giving them away so I just keep them. Maybe someday my kids or grandkids will use them.
Same story for me. I feel like I’d have to sell 4 to buy 1.

I would like to move some on though, looking at them is a constant reminder of my financial frivolity and mindless materialism.

If it wasn't for the thought of passing them down I'd more likely donate them to someone I thought would really appreciate them than sell them. I really hate the thought of how much money I have tied up in knives that just sit in boxes.
I’ve found the majority of knives i’ve given away over the years end up forgotten about and put in a drawer somewhere. They might as well sit in my drawer.
I’m far more conservative and discerning with knife buying these days. I won’t spring for something unless I know I’ll carry it.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Ive got a few knives I can't get rid of but don't use. Most of them are gifts as I will never get rid of a knife that is a gift. Otherwise, I've not been finding myself using my Manix backlock much this past year. I did love that during my last job, but I was wearing gloves at my job most of the time while using it. The lack of chamfers are irritating now.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:33 am
On seeing a prototype of this one, I was all excited, not least because of the 3V, then came the dimples.

Like you, I probably wouldn’t have carried it much either. Must be quite a cutter, though.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh that list is huge. I've got quite a few Spyders that I rarely if ever use but I keep them thinking that some day I will develop the need for them.

That can be said especially for nearly all of my Reverse S and Recurve models. Also out of the 7 Catcherman models I have I really only use 2 or 3 of them on a regular basis. But NO!! I won't part with any of them. I haven't used my full Spyderedged Ayoob model in a long time>> but even a declaration of war wouldn't make me budge from owning any of my C-60 Ayoob models.

The same can be said for most of my Hawkbill models. I have 2 of them I use on a regular basis. But being held up at gunpoint wouldn't make me part with any of them either.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

NoFair wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:20 am
LionSpy. Cool knife and built like a tank, but I don't really need a tank so I usually grab a military instead ;)
I love that knife on paper, but that thing is more tank than even a Strider is

VG10 Calypso Jr - spyderco sure ain't making anymore - this was my spare - I keep it around as a text book example of amazing cutting geometry
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 am
On seeing a prototype of this one, I was all excited, not least because of the 3V, then came the dimples.

Like you, I probably wouldn’t have carried it much either. Must be quite a cutter, though.
The dimples are not too bad in person, but it’s a heavy beast and too much knife for my idea of EDC. It’s like swatting a fly with a baseball bat. :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

You must be a lawyer to pose a question like this :rolleyes: Because all of my Spyders and even a huge percentage of my Non-Spyder premium knives have a certain level of sentimental value to me. But I'm kind of sentimental guy in many ways. I have fishing reels I've owned since the 70s and two of them I've turned down some really good money just because they take me back to a better time on this planet.

All of my German made D.A.M. Quick Fishing reels ( and rods) are just as precious as my entire Spyderco hardware line up is. So with that being said it even has to be an attractive trade proposal to get me to move out a Spyder from my footlocker.

I've got so many that I could carry and use but don't because my current M390 Military now sits on the throne as my top user. I usually now EDC a folder for two years or so before I retire them and replace them in the EDC slot.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I just inventoried my Spydie folders the other day and the count is up to 36. Out of those I only came up with 3-5 that I might sell to make room to pick up a couple of newer releases.

A few years ago I set an arbitrary limit to try and hold my "collection" to 2 dozen folders. It felt like a generous number to have a nice variety of users and a few backups of my favorite models. Clearly I failed lol.

I wouldn't say I'm sentimental about any of them. I just like them and the group is VERY heavy on sprints, exclusives, and disco'd items. Given that, I guess if I don't have a need to sell them off, why not hold onto them? :o

On the plus side, having a deep bench has helped me to evaluate and slow down on the new aquisitions over time.
:spyder: