Cost of Sage 5 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Cost of Sage 5 LW

Post by cycleguy »

Anyone know what the Sage 5 Lightweight is going to cost?

Care to take any guesses??

Here's mine:

Using the Chaparral as the pricing model and comparing the cost of the carbon fiber model to the cost of the FRN model; I'm coming up with a multiplier of .685 x $152.10 (sage 5 carbon fiber dealer retail) = $104.19.

Winner gets bragging rights!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
p_atrick

Re: Cost of Sage 5 LW

Post by p_atrick »

That seems about right. I was curious about the Para 3 to Para 3 LW change in price. You came up with a 0.685 multiplier for the Sage 5 LW, the Para 3 LW has a 0.682 multiplier.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:31 pm
That seems about right. I was curious about the Para 3 to Para 3 LW change in price. You came up with a 0.685 multiplier for the Sage 5 LW, the Para 3 LW has a 0.682 multiplier.
Other than the Para 3 lw, the Sage lw HAS liners "that go all the way round the handle". At least that's roughly what Eric said in some interview. Might add costs, don't know...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Could also just be that it's slightly less expensive to make the Para 3 in the USA than to have the Sage made in Taiwan with US steel that has to be shipped there.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:44 pm
Other than the Para 3 lw, the Sage lw HAS liners "that go all the way round the handle". At least that's roughly what Eric said in some interview. Might add costs, don't know...
Given the highly unusual internal workings of the Para 3 LW, I am sure the R&D costs are higher on that model than on the Sage 5 LW.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Don't forget the chap lw price of 87 for a comparison, especially as a Taiwan model like the sage. I'll let someone smarter do the math on that between g10, carbon fiber, and FRN in the chap series
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:51 pm
Could also just be that it's slightly less expensive to make the Para 3 in the USA than to have the Sage made in Taiwan with US steel that has to be shipped there.
If the Taichung plant wasn't already making so many Spyderco models with S30V, that might make sense. In fact, I'd say that would make more sense with the Chaparral and Techno 2 since they're using CTS-XHP and not many if any other models are on on that steel.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:43 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:44 pm
Given the highly unusual internal workings of the Para 3 LW, I am sure the R&D costs are higher on that model than on the Sage 5 LW.
Why is it highly unusual?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:19 am
Why is it highly unusual?
I am sure you have seen the breakdown video*. It may be that I misspoke when I said "highly unusual". I don't know of another Spyderco model that has a similar interior. Granted, my exposure to Spyderco's long history of folding knives is limited. That said, the Para 3 LW has a partial liner that goes around only one side of the pivot. The lock bar for the compression lock is completely separate from the liner (and does not connect in any way with more steel for the purpose of rigidity). There is an FRN "shelf" to support the compression lock. There is only one PB washer and an FRN boss on the other side of the blade (I do know that some models will forgo washers for the FRN bosses). Finally, there is a standoff embedded in FRN. Only one male screw goes into this standoff. From the other side of the knife, you can't tell the standoff is there. Spyderco has had plenty of "odd" designs over the years. Perhaps the internal workings of the Para 3 LW are similar to a model that defied "normal" knife making tradition.

* https://youtu.be/Bq0c5JqCtU4
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

To answer the OP's question: MAP $113.75.

The MSRP is listed as $175 on Spyderco's site. MAP = 65% of MSRP
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If they already have the capacity and the materials like The Deacon pointed out, would that shave costs off the production or not?