Manix 2 Cruwear Smooth G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Manix 2 Cruwear Smooth G10

Post by TkoK83Spy »

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
attila

Post by attila »

It's definitely very smooth. Not the polished Cruwear PM2 smooth, but maybe almost as smooth feeling as the Native. It's weird, since with such a matte finish, I'd expect the smoothness to feel very different.

I think it'll show any greasiness that gets on it. I don't have it with me, so I can't verify that. Perhaps I'll fiddle with it more tomorrow.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Mine arrived today. I certainly have no complaints. Cruwear is one of my favorite steels and there is nothing wrong with smooth G10.

In fact, I think I am learning something. I thought I would hate smooth G10 when I first got the PM2 Cruwear last year, but it grew on me more all the time, so I had no hesitation about this one (and a very reasonable price). And the Manix design all by itself makes this extremely secure in hand. I'll have to give it a few gentle laps on the Goldenstone and see if I get the ridiculously sharp Cruwear edge I know and love. Not that it isn't plenty sharp from the factory.

Anyway, my lesson is that if I think I am going to hate something on a Spyderco, I should rush out and buy it and let my views be revised.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Exactly why I'm ready to try some smooth G10...and why not on arguably my favorite hard use Spyderco model! Saturday can't come soon enough.

-Rick
attila

Post by attila »

I hope everyone here got their orders in cuz it's "discontinued" per KC:
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

That's all folks!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I have the smooth G10 Para 3. It has become my most carried Spydie. Contrary to the name, it is surprisingly grippy. It offers a bit of resistance when you try to slide a thumb over it. So I’m glad I didn’t ignore it based on how many folks express disdain for the smooth.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
attila

Post by attila »

And it's back with 2 in stock:

SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I've got mine here now too. Absolute perfection. Well done Spyderco, and thank you yet again!
I could not be happier. :D

Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

These things sure do come and go quickly. I am lucky to have been able to pick up
this Cruwear Manix. I am surprised there was not more excitement about this one on
the forum.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:22 pm
These things sure do come and go quickly. I am lucky to have been able to pick up
this Cruwear Manix. I am surprised there was not more excitement about this one on
the forum.

This actually went quicker than I expected. I think the PM2 and Para 3 versions were around much longer. I passed due to the smooth G10. I had a smooth G10 Native and sold it so its not like I didn't give it a chance.

If this would have been a non-black peel ply G10 I imagine it would have been an even quicker sell out and more popular here on the forum. The poll I started on smooth vs peel ply G10 showed that while smooth isn't always a deal breaker, a large number of people prefer the peel ply G10.

I would have been excited for this and would have bought a peel ply G10 Manix, Manix XL, or Manix Backlock, but never in smooth G10. A Manix LW in Cruwear would see me buying 4 or 5.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
andrewu750

Post by andrewu750 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:59 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:22 pm
the forum.

This actually went quicker than I expected. I think the PM2 and Para 3 versions were around much longer. I passed due to the smooth G10. I had a smooth G10 Native and sold it so its not like I didn't give it a chance.

If this would have been a non-black peel ply G10 I imagine it would have been an even quicker sell out and more popular here on the forum. The poll I started on smooth vs peel ply G10 showed that while smooth isn't always a deal breaker, a large number of people prefer the peel ply G10.

I would have been excited for this and would have bought a peel ply G10 Manix, Manix XL, or Manix Backlock, but never in smooth G10. A Manix LW in Cruwear would see me buying 4 or 5.
U really missed out. This knife is great and the smooth g10 is actually really nice with all the jimping
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Got mine about a week ago, can’t believe how small it is in hand compared to the XL, the Native Chief, the Broken Skull by Cold Steel, OH yeah awesome Triad lock and CTS-XHP lovin it!

Smooth G-10 is still weird feeling do not like it, Cruwear saves the design for me.

I have owned Manix 2 in S110V and S30V saber grind.

Never liked the design in those Steels very much like the Design in Cruwear only downside is the smooth scales will likely replace them.
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Got mine today. Glad to be able to get a cruwear Spyderco. Missed the other (Para 2) offerings. The smooth g10 is different, feels nice but not grippy... will have to carry for a while to see how it works out overall. Looks great, even grind, sharp, good fit and finish. 👌
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Just got home to find mine in the mailbox!! This is my 4th Manix and was pretty excited to see what this smooth G10 is all about...and I'm honestly more impressed with it than I thought Iwould be. Its smooth, but I dont get the impression of ever losing grip on it while using it. No new scales for me after all! I'm also excited to finally try out some Cruwear.

As typical fashion with a Golden Spyderco, it's absolutely perfect out of the box. No adjustments needed anywhere...besides switching the pocket clip. I just can't do that shiny, polished clip. I grabbed an extra deep carry MXG clip, but it doesn't quite fit right. Its VERY deep carry haha. I'll give it a try. Looks a little goofey.
3TypWCth.jpg
ACbixmVh.jpg

-Rick
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Got mine about a week ago, sent it back to Spyderco yesterday, one of the liners was significantly thinner than the other. I think what ever process they use to "deburr" the liner was processed to long. Even the jimping on that liner was almost even with the G-10 scale. It just needs that liner replaced, I'm sure Spyderco will make it right.
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

I ordered from the second batch on the 6th when they said more were coming. Shipping still says pending acceptance.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

CXXX wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:30 am
Got mine about a week ago, sent it back to Spyderco yesterday, one of the liners was significantly thinner than the other. I think what ever process they use to "deburr" the liner was processed to long. Even the jimping on that liner was almost even with the G-10 scale. It just needs that liner replaced, I'm sure Spyderco will make it right.
Just got a call from Charlyn, they replaced the liner and it is on the way back. Great service. And got to talk "Spyderco" with Charlyn for a few minutes. This is only the 2nd knife I have ever had to send back to Spyderco for an issue....out of 361 in my Spyderco collection. :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Thank You Charlyn!