Cruwear in Florida weather

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eman816

Cruwear in Florida weather

Post by Eman816 »

So my baby is without a doubt my para 3 cruwear. Well I know it's not stainless but also not like 52100 carbon when it comes to corrosion. So I'm debating which knife to take to Florida with me. Would I be better off Leaving it at home and take my pm2 instead?
TkoK83Spy

Re: Cruwear in Florida weather

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The question is...what is your PM2?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I live in Louisiana and I don't have a problem with even 52100, but I don't take it out on water, so I reckon if you stay on land with Cruwear you'd be okay.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Level of exposure is everything. Cruwear will rust to pieces extremely close to the ocean if not maintained. It does quite well when not subject to salty conditions. Wind direction, humidity, distance from water... Everything matters.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

My V toku2 got some rust from one day of heavy rain in FL. It's staying in the drawer until winter time, which makes me sad
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

It's bloody hot down here so it's best to be in or on the water, something with a LC200N or an H1 blade would be preferable.
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

As others have stated, it depends on where you will be. My daily carry is an M4 PM2 which is not as resistant as Cruwear. It sees very little oil without any issues; however, I carry it inland in the Orlando area.

I make weekly trips to the coast for fishing/camping. When on the water I use LC200N or H1. I do use other steels in those areas, but just make sure to clean them up if they touch salt/corrosive things. For instance, my Sprig gets used to clean salt water fish at the beach on the regular. I just wash it off afterwards.

Long story short, IMO you should be fine with cruwear as long as you keep it away from salt water.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I’m also in the Orlando area and FullCircleHook nailed it. My M4 Native got some tiny specks of rust, easily cleaned up and my Cruwear P3 has had no issues with rust. On or very near the ocean is a whole other story, so down in the Keys or on the beach, I’d stick with LC200N.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Eman816

Post by Eman816 »

See were gonna be near Tampa lithia to be exact. I figured days we do the ocean take my bugout ha its a perfect beater knife. The pm2 I was thinking was my sv35n. No way I'd take my dlt sprint. I just love my para 3 so much and with the lynch clip its to me perfect.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It'll take some time before it "rusts to pieces" to be sure. If you get salt on it rinse it off at night before bed. If you do get rust on it don't let it sit too long because it will pit. Not super fast but it will over time. We aren't talking hours though . It should resist corrosion for longer than 52100 and I wouldn't put it in that category or that close to it. It's closer to stainless IMO.
Eman816

Post by Eman816 »

Well be outside of Tampa in lithia so jot super close to the ocean luckily. I figured for thr days we do go to the beach I'll take my bugout since that became my beater. As for the pm2 I'd probably take my sv35n. I would take my dlt sprint but let's be honest I might be dumb but not stupid.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Eman816 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:34 pm
Well be outside of Tampa in lithia so jot super close to the ocean luckily. I figured for thr days we do go to the beach I'll take my bugout since that became my beater. As for the pm2 I'd probably take my sv35n. I would take my dlt sprint but let's be honest I might be dumb but not stupid.
I think you'll be just fine with Cruwear... I've brought my 52100 Para 3 with me on hikes and have carried it in my waistband on other occasions and nothing major has happened. All without oiling the blade any, keep it clean and keep an eye on it and it should all be good!
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

I think you will be fine. I live in Orlando but work all over the place. I regularly carry 52100, Cruwear and M4. So far I have not had my Cruwear manix rust. My 52100 PM2 and M4 have rusted way easier. I sweat like crazy when I work and it still hasn’t rusted on me.
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Eman816 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:34 pm
Hey, I'm from the area and would suggest you consider something comfortable and durable, you might have issues with the extreme humidity and chances are you will find yourself around water- it's Florida and it's too hot for anything else. Also, the NWS has a heat advisory in affect, prepare for EXTREME heat. Also, stay out of the ocean- skip the beach. There's flesh eating bacteria in the water, people have died man.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I would steer myself towards the more stain proof steel selection just to not worry about corrosion: H1, LC200N, even S110V. The latter might be pretty immune to salt water by itself, but the liners of spyderco s110v knives will definitely rust if soaked in salty water.

In the end, it depends a lot how much salty humidity will the knife encounter in your uses, as cruwear is semistainless so it can resist normal humidity pretty decently with minimal care. I never used mine in salty climate so I can't really speak with certainty in that regard, not did I do any test as I love my knife too much to risk ruining the finish lol
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This leads to the question in a new thread I have because I have been wondering about this: With all respect to those who like patinas and "controlled rusted surfaces" (I am not one of them!), and while some of your patinas are well-done, I am a satin-finish person. How can/are there methods to somehow retain blades that are non-stainless but make sure they remain satin finished and polished/shiny and do not develop any patina?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

MMGRenovations wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:57 pm
I think you will be fine. I live in Orlando but work all over the place. I regularly carry 52100, Cruwear and M4. So far I have not had my Cruwear manix rust. My 52100 PM2 and M4 have rusted way easier. I sweat like crazy when I work and it still hasn’t rusted on me.
this is very good to hear! I live near salt water, but sweat is the big M4 killer for me. Glad that Cruwear should be better. :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!