Largest Spyderco you're comfortable with?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cambertree

Re: Largest Spyderco you're comfortable with?

Post by Cambertree »

The Police 4. But it'll usually be paired with a smaller knife for more discreet cutting situations, like a Dragonfly or a traditional slipjoint.

If I was to consider a single knife carried by itself, then the PM2, and GB1, would be about as large as I would go, with the Endura being at about the upper limit.

If I have to use them in social situations where I don't really want to whip out what non-knife people see as a 'big knife', then sometimes I just partially open the blade, just past the closing detent and use my other hand to manipulate the material being cut (thread, tape, cordage, plastic packets etc) against the edge. Obviously that only works for quick, once-off cuts, not extended use.

Vivi, you're lucky to live in an place where you don't have to consider blade length vs. social acceptability.

Then there's the way they feel in the pocket, which is not just a factor of blade length. I tend to notice the Police and Millie less in my pocket than the Manix. The G10 Manixes don't seem to 'play nice' with anything else in the same pocket as them, in my experience.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

In 2003, when I discovered Spyderco knives for the first time, I'd already been carrying a pocket knife for fifty years. The round hole opener was a godsend to my hands, so I jumped on the Spyderco bandwagon, but never saw the need to change my carry style. For that reason, I've stuck with Spyderco models that I can remove the clip from and just drop in my back pocket. I also have a strong preference for models with midlocks and 50/50 choils. The Stretch, R, Caly 3.5, and Schempp Persian are about the largest ones that tick all those boxes and, out of those the Stretch has become my absolute favorite.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I carried a Becker bk9 for a year, so no folder ever seems particularly large to me. I generally find the 3.5-4.0” blade/3.1-3.5” edge range to be my favorite for folders. Maybe cold steel makes something I’d find large but I hate most opening methods aside from flippers and spydieholes. Thumb studs are abominations.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Military is about the biggest i'll ever pocket and use comfortably. I have a K2 but pretty much never carry it, its just bigger than I ever need.
Last edited by Mushroom on Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Manix 2 XL's see some carry, other than that there's a Mili or Police in the pocket quite often. The Mamba is another larger one, but I do carry it sometimes. Mostly keep it at home because I wanna keep it in good shape.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Millie sees pocket time, but here you cannot be seen to have a knife, so normally the M2LW is what I carry.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

So far, Endura 4 LWT.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Military feels just right to me. The C54 Calypso and Pattada do as well. A 4 inch blade just feels like the best balance for me. The Police4 doesn’t feel unwieldy but it does feel like a large knife. I carry a K2 a lot and while it feels huge I am pretty comfortable using it. Any bigger than that and I probably would find it awkward.

As far as fixed blades go, I like them big and my Temp2, Bradley Bowie and Schempp Rock all feel like average sized fixed blades.

Thankfully I don’t have to worry much about the social aspect around here. I carry what i like.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've pretty much found my two favorite big Spyderco folders. The C-60 Ayoob is my ultimate favorite design. But my M390 C-36 Military model has been thee ideal folder for my EDC uses for quite some time now. Unless they do a Sprint Run of the C-60 in a newer/better blade steel I'll probably stay with the M390 Millie for quite some time to come>> barring a new supersteel that wins my heart over.

I would love to try a Tatanka in a premium blade steel. But it would mainly be relegated as a hunter-folder. That model would be just a tad big for an EDC folder. Really the C-36 Military is hard to beat for an all purpose EDC folder.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

The largest I own are the PM2 and the Manix 2, several variants of each model. While I usually never EDC them they are the biggest I will ever need for any task I come across.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Depends on the situation but for general EDC, a Military or Native Chief would be the largest I would need or want but typically the PM2, Manix, or Caribbean are perfect. For outdoors (camping, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, etc.), then a 5-6" fixed blade combined with a 3.5-4" folder (Victorinox Classic and a Leatherman too). I keep looking at the Sustain.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

The answer is always Amalgam! :D
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
vivi

Post by vivi »

40mm wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:19 pm
I look at comfortable in a few different ways. There are what I consider to be large-ish knives that are comfortable to carry and comfortable in hand that I don't know if I would comfortable whipping out in public for a small cutting task. This is more a me problem than the knifes problem :) For example I recently picked up another Pacific Salt. I like the feel in hand and its very easy to carry, but I keep thinking there will be situations where I don't want to take out a knife that large. Funny thing is that where I live I can carry whatever I like! Maybe I should take advantage of it and not worry about it, but I also think about other people around me.
Yep, definitely a couple different angles to consider.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:05 am
The Police 4. But it'll usually be paired with a smaller knife for more discreet cutting situations, like a Dragonfly or a traditional slipjoint.

If I was to consider a single knife carried by itself, then the PM2, and GB1, would be about as large as I would go, with the Endura being at about the upper limit.

If I have to use them in social situations where I don't really want to whip out what non-knife people see as a 'big knife', then sometimes I just partially open the blade, just past the closing detent and use my other hand to manipulate the material being cut (thread, tape, cordage, plastic packets etc) against the edge. Obviously that only works for quick, once-off cuts, not extended use.

Vivi, you're lucky to live in an place where you don't have to consider blade length vs. social acceptability.

Then there's the way they feel in the pocket, which is not just a factor of blade length. I tend to notice the Police and Millie less in my pocket than the Manix. The G10 Manixes don't seem to 'play nice' with anything else in the same pocket as them, in my experience.
That I am.

I notice weight in the pocket a lot more than size.
:unicorn
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Haven't found a spyderco that was too big for pocket carry. I also don't have a tatanka. Edc'd a szabo for awhile. Used to carry my ulize pretty often too. Right now I'm carrying the chief. I've concealed a CS laredo bowie a few times without anyone noticing. Carried a busse BT-6 for awhile too. Usually carry my fixed blades iwb so the sheath doesn't snag. Not really for concealment. My most carried spyderco fixed blade is a toss up between the street beat and the southfork. I always have a smaller knife usually native 5 or SAK. When someone ask for a knife I don't usually hand over a large folder. They get the native 5 or SAK. Something easier to replace.
blues

Post by blues »

Police 4 / Military / Shaman all work well for me. Those are the biggest Spyderco knives I own.
- Retired from the chase -
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

My Military.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Ha! Are we limiting this to folders? I am comfortable carrying the Street Bowie in many situations.

I carry the Shaman on a regular basis now that I have one. It carries like a smaller knife than it is. I never mind carrying the Police 4 or military when the mood strikes. I guess I have never really been annoyed by a knife being too big. I like that Shaman more all the time.

These social issues are mostly between the two ears of the person carrying the knife. Legal issues are another matter.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:34 am
sal wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:56 pm
I like the P4 Lite Wt. A small model like the Manbug or Starling is usually with it.

sal
I'm sure I'm going to like the lightweight too. The Police4 G-10 with K390 is something speacial though. A little sad it will be discontinued. Really glad you and the big knife afi's talked me into trying one :D

The G-10 P4 is not scheduled to be disco'd. I'm just guessing that sales will be slow due to the high cost and it will probably not be remade.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm comfortable with just about any size blade, but my favorite is around the 3.75" range. The Caribbean hits the sweet spot.

I want to try the P4 G10, but I'm saving my money for the upcoming Dodo!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson