Largest Spyderco you're comfortable with?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Largest Spyderco you're comfortable with?

Post by vivi »

What are the largest Spydercos you're comfortable carrying on an average day in an EDC capacity?

Folders: Haven't tried one that's felt too big. Szabo folder is my current largest, and it's never felt too big in my pocket, or so large I'm afraid to use it in public. Same with my Police. Have yet to try a Tatanka, but I do have an XL Voyager I can carry comfortably, so I doubt the size would be an issue.

Fixed: My Street Bowie is the largest fixed blade Spyderco I've carried around throughout the day. It's perfectly comfortable for me. I wouldn't want to carry one larger though. I think something with a 6" blade would start to get uncomfortable sitting in a car etc.

How about you?
:unicorn
JonLeBlanc

Re: Largest Spyderco you're comfortable with?

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Another easy one: Police4 :)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

K2 .....but I respect the crap out of it :D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Native Chief. Slim profile makes it more pocket friendly than "humpy" spyderco knives.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

My biggest Spydies are the Chief and Resilience. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the Chief carries in RFP- I had expected that I might opt for rear pocket carry for it- but nope. The Resilience I carry in RRP or utility pocket of work pants.

I am considering a P4 LW, but that may be about as big as I go for a folder. The Chinook 4 and Tatanka are intriguing to me, but not enough to track down.

Edited to add-- the Shaman is my heaviest and chunkiest Spydie and heaviest folder of any make.
Last edited by Enactive on Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My Tatanka is not only too big closed, it’s bigger than my fixed-blades open.

Moreover, letting that weighty chunk of VG10 fall free on pressing the powerlock gives me a sense of what victims of the guillotine might have felt just before the lights went out. :eek:

So, the Tatanka remains an uncarried curiosity.

I’m not only completely comfortable but also really happy carrying a Millie or a Calypso or a Police4, or, differently large, a Shaman, and I can’t wait to carry a Chief.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:59 pm
Native Chief. Slim profile makes it more pocket friendly than "humpy" spyderco knives.
Totally, so slim and plenty light! Easier carry than the Shaman, which i also really enjoy.
kirill.sergueev

Post by kirill.sergueev »

Mytle is quite large.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The Autonomy. As time goes on, I'm becoming more of a small knife fan.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

The Caribbean leaf PE is a regular EDC for me. I’ll also carry the Amalgam; I like bigger knives and intend to get the Police lightweight when it comes out in July.

However when I carry something over 3.5 inches I like to bring a small folding knife too like the Native as not to scare people.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
sal

Post by sal »

I like the P4 Lite Wt. A small model like the Manbug or Starling is usually with it.

sal
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I look at comfortable in a few different ways. There are what I consider to be large-ish knives that are comfortable to carry and comfortable in hand that I don't know if I would comfortable whipping out in public for a small cutting task. This is more a me problem than the knifes problem :) For example I recently picked up another Pacific Salt. I like the feel in hand and its very easy to carry, but I keep thinking there will be situations where I don't want to take out a knife that large. Funny thing is that where I live I can carry whatever I like! Maybe I should take advantage of it and not worry about it, but I also think about other people around me.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

40mm wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:19 pm
I look at comfortable in a few different ways. There are what I consider to be large-ish knives that are comfortable to carry and comfortable in hand that I don't know if I would comfortable whipping out in public for a small cutting task. This is more a me problem than the knifes problem :) For example I recently picked up another Pacific Salt. I like the feel in hand and its very easy to carry, but I keep thinking there will be situations where I don't want to take out a knife that large. Funny thing is that where I live I can carry whatever I like! Maybe I should take advantage of it and not worry about it, but I also think about other people around me. This is why the Dragonfly has such a hold on me.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

too big for me is manix/pm2. largest happy size i like is a para 3.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The largest folder I own (and I think have ever owned) is my Zirikote-wood-handled Military.

While I feel very comfortable using it for any cutting task (even very detailled and "small" ones), it's a bit too long in carry for my liking.

So for regular,daily carry and use, the Endura is the largest folder I'm comfortable with (in fact it almost has the perfect size for me), I don't really notice that it has a bit less edge than the Milli.
The Chief is very much endura-ish in its dimensions, I am almost certain that I'll be very comfortable with that one either, as soon as I get one.

That being said: My new Endela taught me again to really enjoy a - for me- rather short blade (just 3.4") on a very generous, for me perfectly sized handle (the Endela handle IS long, but sacrifices exactly that extra bit of length on the Endura handle I never needed anyway).
Feels very "nimble" somehow, though for some tasks I'd want more edge.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Part of the definition of "comfortable" to me means legally compliant and socially acceptable. Hence 3.5" is the largest I EDC under these terms. PM2 is one of my favorites.

The other part of the definition of "comfortable" is just physical and logistical. Under this definition alone, I'm comfortable with 4". However I don't often get a chance to carry that much blade.
Tims

Post by Tims »

The largest Spydercos I own are Enduras. I’m waiting on the P4 LW to upsize. I usually carry smaller for legal reasons but would happily carry larger.
The only issue I’ve run into is a pants pocket being too shallow to receive the full length of a knife when clipped. It either bottoms out and sits proud or has to be clipped at an angle. So depending on what I’m wearing, a larger folder may not be appropriate in terms of carry comfort.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sal wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:56 pm
I like the P4 Lite Wt. A small model like the Manbug or Starling is usually with it.

sal
I'm sure I'm going to like the lightweight too. The Police4 G-10 with K390 is something speacial though. A little sad it will be discontinued. Really glad you and the big knife afi's talked me into trying one :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my largest spyderco is the resilience. i really like everything about that knife and wish spyderco would make a version in a better steel that isn’t a budget version. a resilience salt in lc200n might replace the manix as my favorite knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C