Straight-spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Straight-spine Stretch

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:07 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:39 pm
Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:31 pm
I am with you personally!! That particular blade shape (or better "spine shape" is one of the great things of the Stretch, even more pronounced on the Stretch 1 than on the Stretch 2. It´s also very practical, since it provides a perfect spot to put your index finger or thumb in certain grips

But, that being said: Presumably many people did not like the looks of that blade, and so missed out on a great knife. A straight spine Stretch will still have the perfect handle and that for Spyderco quite unique "edge shape"(very long, perfectly straight section, then quite some belly as opposed to a more countinous curve like PM2, Endura and most other Spydies have).

So, if I had to choose just one: Always the "traditional" shaped Stretch. But if the straight spine brings more people to experience at least handle and edge of the Stretch: Great.
The Stretch appealed to me for a few reasons. The fact that it makes for a better than average folding skinner was a big draw for me personally. :cool:

The Stretch 2 made the folded knife longer and wider with less blade. :confused: The straight spine makes it just another knife with a bit of belly but hey, that's just one silly little Aussie's view, ay? :D
zhyla wrote: I’m confused... why would anyone want to add material to the Stretch blade to make a straight line? What effect does that have on using the knife?
Alex / "Bloke": Again, I am the first one to join you in saying, that the quite recently discontinued Stretch 1 was the so far best version of the Stretch ever (in fact, I did so many posts about that exact same topic, that I have a feeling some people already found it a bit annoying... :rolleyes: ). Not only is it a shorter carry but still features more edge than the "2", it also has that "hook" or "parrot beak" at the rear end of the handle, which I like a lot, plus a tip that´s a bit more acute.

But that being said: The Stretch 2 is a great knife either , especially its ergos are even better at least for larger hands. And the blade in fact could be made even longer than in the Stretch 1 (there is space in the handle for that), and actually IS in the G10 version of the "2" (3.57")

Now, apparently the sales of the Stretch (1 and 2) aren´t like expected, and even I can remember that people gave as a reason, that they wouldn´t like the quite "funky" blade shape (which I personally like a lot, look-wise, but even more function-wise).
It seems, that many people are buying knives "with their eyes" or choose by how a knife looks (I think to some degree probably almost everybody is like that). And probably especially people not too familiar with Spydercos design-language ruled out the Stretch from the beginning, cause it´s looking TOO extrem spyderco-ish (a point I personally absolutely like in the Stretch) and too different to "usual" knife shapes

Plus, I can recall I read on this forum several times in the past, that people hoped for a straight spine Stretch. I´d assume mostly for aesthetic reasons, though maybe the straight spine and by that a bit enhanced surface of the blade may also differ slightly in its practical properies from the original shape.

So: Given, that Spyderco already HAS the molds for the Stretch handle (and invested in those molds) and "just" has to try out how things are going if a straight spined, more "main stream" looking blade is attached to that handle: I think that´s not a bad idea!!

As said: I personally would not need such a model and always prefer the shape of the current Stretch, but probably many consumers feel different, don´t know.. And again: A straight spine Stretch will still offer features that most other Spydercos don´t, first and foremost that unique, long straight portion of edge without any curve before the (compared to an Endura for example) quite pronounced belly.
And even in Spydercos incredible line up of comfortable handles, the Stretch´s handle is standing out. Hopefully "straight spine people" will discover those features, when the model is available...

Plus: Ivory-colored FRN will be something really new... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I like straight spines and have had a Pacific Salt and a Salt I modded. I'm close to sending my Endela in.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:44 pm
Oh wow thanks that's exactly what I needed to visualize it! Pretty sweet :cool: And yeah, you're right, it wouldn't be any "wider" in sum, but there would be more real estate if that makes any sense.

Not that much, really. Most of the material added to the concave area ahead of the hump would come from the convex area behind the tip.

Stretch modxx.png

zhyla wrote: I’m confused... why would anyone want to add material to the Stretch blade to make a straight line? What effect does that have on using the knife?

Gives it a pointier tip. Like most things in life, that's going to have its pros and cons. Better for some tasks, not as good for others. There's also the question of esthetics. You may like the shape of the Stretch's blade the way it is, and I've always been ok with it, but not everyone does. Adding a straight spine version to the lineup may convince more folks to try the Stretch. I'm pretty sure that's what Spyderco intends to do - keep the original shape in the lineup and just add the straight spined version. At least that's what they've done with the wharnciiffe versions of the Delica and Dragonfly.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:44 am
Alex ...

Back locks aren’t my favourite and my ZDP-189 Stretch 1 came with a little vertical play. It came sharp but the bloke who ground the edge must have been drunk and couldn’t find his glasses but none of that overly bothers me because I like the knife’s design and was looking forward to buying more.

Goodbye Stretch! :(
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:17 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:44 am
Alex ...

Back locks aren’t my favourite and my ZDP-189 Stretch 1 came with a little vertical play. It came sharp but the bloke who ground the edge must have been drunk and couldn’t find his glasses but none of that overly bothers me because I like the knife’s design and was looking forward to buying more.

Goodbye Stretch! :(
I think you're getting something wrong here: I am sure the straight spine Stretch will just be another OPTION, but never actually REPLACE the current Stretch!!! Otherwise I'd be extremly disappointed myself!!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:14 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:44 pm
Oh wow thanks that's exactly what I needed to visualize it! Pretty sweet :cool: And yeah, you're right, it wouldn't be any "wider" in sum, but there would be more real estate if that makes any sense.

Not that much, really. Most of the material added to the concave area ahead of the hump would come from the convex area behind the tip.

Stretch modxx.png
zhyla wrote:
Deacon, so you assume or even know that the straight spine Stretch will have a completely straight spine starting at the tip (like in your drawing, so "PM2-style)?

Cause if the straight spine would start just behind the "drop" at the tip (so "Endura style), the blade would gain somewhat surface-wise...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Personally I'm quite fond of this mod.

Credit to our old pal Gary
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40195
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:47 am
Deacon, so you assume or even know that the straight spine Stretch will have a completely straight spine starting at the tip (like in your drawing, so "PM2-style)?

Cause if the straight spine would start just behind the "drop" at the tip (so "Endura style), the blade would gain somewhat surface-wise...

Yes, it's an assumption, a guess, and a hope. Have never seen what Sal and company are working on, so have no actual knowledge of what they have in mind. However, to me, straight means straight, not partly straight with a hump at the tip that defeats one of the major purposes of a straight spine, the "splinter picker" tip it provides, so that's what I'm hoping it will be.

Evil D wrote: Personally I'm quite fond of this mod.

Credit to our old pal Gary
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40195

That's always been a favorite of mine as well, David. :)
Paul
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:15 am

That's always been a favorite of mine as well, David. :)

I'd really prefer that over a totally straight spine. I think it's a good compromise between the two and retains a little of the Stretch character and it's a bit more elegant than tactical.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:27 am

I'd really prefer that over a totally straight spine. I think it's a good compromise between the two and retains a little of the Stretch character and it's a bit more elegant than tactical.

Me too, David. Still, for anyone who wants one badly enough, the "Gary Graley Special" is something they can do to a regular Stretch blade, or find someone to do for them. Heck, they even have their choice of Stretch models to mod.
Paul
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

z4vdBt wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:26 am
I like straight spines and have had a Pacific Salt and a Salt I modded. I'm close to sending my Endela in.

That's a sweet looking mod!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Re: people buying knives with their eyes, this is an unstoppable trend since knives are shifting with most other goods to online sales. Manufacturers just have to adapt. And reviews help a ton. I wish there were a few other Nick Shabazz types out there. Nick is great but he can’t review every knife and different viewpoints are helpful.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:25 pm
Re: people buying knives with their eyes, this is an unstoppable trend since knives are shifting with most other goods to online sales. Manufacturers just have to adapt. And reviews help a ton. I wish there were a few other Nick Shabazz types out there. Nick is great but he can’t review every knife and different viewpoints are helpful.
The Stretch ("1" even more so than "2") is a knife, that really has to be held and used and experienced in order to really discover what an incredible versatile, usefull and comfortable design it actually is... and is also a knife, that may look a bit odd at first glance to especially people coming from other brands than Spyderco, for it is somehow the essence of the "form follows function"- approach... so, yes, unfortunately not the best when it comes to "just buying knives with ones eyes..."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:15 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:47 am

Yes, it's an assumption, a guess, and a hope. Have never seen what Sal and company are working on, so have no actual knowledge of what they have in mind. However, to me, straight means straight, not partly straight with a hump at the tip that defeats one of the major purposes of a straight spine, the "splinter picker" tip it provides, so that's what I'm hoping it will be.

Evil D wrote:

As another option beside the current Stretch I'd also prefer a perfectly straight spine and very acute tip

As an REPLACEMENT (but heaven forbid that this happens!!) I'd still prefer the Endura-style "hump tip"

We'll see... but since one of the unifying features of the current "Endura family" is the hump-tip, it could be that they'll stick to it also in the straght spine Stretch...
Tims

Post by Tims »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:25 pm
I’m guilty of buying knives with my eyes. At this level of knife tomfoolery I’m basically collecting toys, I’ve got more than enough ‘tools’.

Regarding the stretch. it has never interested me mainly due to the Wenger look of the blade. I don’t care for as much belly as it offers either. Ironically, now a straight spine model is in the works, I’ve come around and it’s now on my list. I doubt I’ll get the straight spine version but I’m like a leaf in the wind with knives at times so who knows.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

One thing about the straight spine Stretch is:

If successfull, it will heavily compete with Spydercos own Endela. Bladelength and handlelength are virtually the same, a straight spine will make the Stretch even look more similar to the Endela. Black FRN, probably the same steel, same backlock.

In a way that's a good thing: People interested in a Seki FRN knife of that particular size can choose between choil / no choil and between maybe a bit more refined ergos, but wider and a bit heavier carry (Stretch) and the slimmer handled, a bit lighter Endela.

If that will help sales overall remains to be seen. Could very well be though, I myself for example, if I did not have three Stretch and an Endela already, would sure get BOTH models once more. And if the straight spine FRN Stretch will have a longer blade than the current Stretch 2 (so 3.5 instead of 3.43) I'll probably get one anyway...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:31 pm
a straight spine will make the Stretch even look more similar to the Endela.
Ahh, but the Straight Spine Stretch will most certainly have the vastly superior ergonomic handle of the Stretch 2, unlikely to fatigue the hand in prolonged use as is common with pocket knives which will no doubt make the recently released Endela redundant. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Needs a fully straight spine otherwise it’s more of a harpoon shape without a swedge.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:03 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:31 pm
a straight spine will make the Stretch even look more similar to the Endela.
Ahh, but the Straight Spine Stretch will most certainly have the vastly superior ergonomic handle of the Stretch 2, unlikely to fatigue the hand in prolonged use as is common with pocket knives which will no doubt make the recently released Endela redundant. :rolleyes:
:p
But seriously: The Endela for me has great ergos too, plus it places your hand closer to the edge in a regular grip on the handle (and, once more: It's in no way a problem or even uncomfortable / unsafe to choke up on the Ricasso of Endura / Endela!)

One has to have both really, Endela and Stretch... ;)
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

they'd have to rename a straight spine stretch... maybe stitch? as in saving nine...

:)