Straight-spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

Straight-spine Stretch

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Hello all, there has been some talk on various threads about the apparently "under-construction" straight spined Stretch model, but little formal discussion. So, as a Spyderling who is very interested in this idea, I'd thought I'd try to start a discussion around the concept. I admit I've had a little trouble visualizing what such a piece would look like, but at any rate the idea sounds awesome to me, since I love my Stretch2 and I love the Delica/Police/Military etc style blades.

So, what thoughts arise about this concept? What steels and scales combos would one like to see? Is there any way the Stretch2 (presuming that the 2 would serve as the foundation for a straight spined variant) could or should be modified for this piece? Personally, the first thing that occurs to me is that I'd love to see a solid SuperBlue sprint/exclusive, although that would of course be a thing for the future. Maybe G-10 scales would make the knife comfortingly substantial, or perhaps FRN would make it nice and light? So much to think about lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JonLeBlanc

Re: Straight-spine Stretch

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Just realized I started this thread in the wrong sub-forum, bc I'm an idiot lol, does anyone know if threads can be moved? Sorry y'all :(
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:03 pm
Just realized I started this thread in the wrong sub-forum, bc I'm an idiot lol, does anyone know if threads can be moved? Sorry y'all :(
Not an idiot at all, Jon. It happens to the best of us. ;)

Moved to General.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Here's a mod that Lance did in that general direction: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69863&start=80#p1071245
sal

Post by sal »

I just received the 2nd prototype. Looking good. Will still be a while before production.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:00 pm
Hello all, there has been some talk on various threads about the apparently "under-construction" straight spined Stretch model, but little formal discussion ..
Hi Jon, great you started this thread (actually I planned to do so too, but you "beat" me... ;) )

In some other thread Sal already mentioned, that the "SSS" (straight spined Stretch) will probably have ivory colored (FRN? not 100 % sure) scales..

I'd assume that they'll take the molds for the regular Stretch 2 handle, if you keep the current blade shape on the "edge-side" and just straighten the spine, that should be no problem and would of course be wise economically speaking.
Furthermore, I think people who unbelievably ;) did not care for the Stretch, had rather issues with the blade shape, not with the great and perfectly ergonomic handle.

I personally think the current Stretch blade shape is one of the most versatiles ever, I would not need a straight spined version (but still am excited for it).
And I sure hope that such a version will bring more people to experience this really great knife.

What I'd hope for, is that the SSS will have a blade length like the current G10 version (3.57"), and not the rather short 3.43 of the current FRN version. At least 3.50 would be nice, like on the discontinued Stretch 1...

Also I hope the "hump" or "drop" towards the tip will still be there (so more an Endura-, not a PM2 tip).

Steel: I'm fine with VG10... HAP40 would be a dream...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:14 pm
Oh thanks for sharing; that's true he did mention ivory FRN, which is cool, because I don't think we've seen that before. If the current edge geometry was kept but the spine simply extended from the top of the finger ramp to the tip that would make a pretty wide blade wouldn't it? I kinda like that idea :cool:

Also thanks to Mrs Kristi for fixing my mistake.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:56 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Oh thanks for sharing; that's true he did mention ivory FRN, which is cool, because I don't think we've seen that before. If the current edge geometry was kept but the spine simply extended from the top of the finger ramp to the tip that would make a pretty wide blade wouldn't it? I kinda like that idea :cool:

Don't have a Stretch on me at the moment, so I can't really check. But do you think it would be really much wider than a Manix- or let alone Shaman-blade for example?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:08 pm

Don't have a Stretch on me at the moment, so I can't really check. But do you think it would be really much wider than a Manix- or let alone Shaman-blade for example?
That's a good question, it may not be any wider than those, although I don't own a Manix or a Shaman so I couldn't compare. But yes, that could be. Like I said, I kinda like the idea; for ex the Para3 blade is just slightly wider than that of the PM2, just enough to be noticeable to the naked eye, and that's one thing I appreciate about that model. Also, the Stretch has a more pronounced belly than does, say, the PM2 or Police or Delica. I reckon this is due to it's origin as a hunters blade.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:29 pm
Wartstein wrote:
That's a good question, it may not be any wider than those, although I don't own a Manix or a Shaman so I couldn't compare. But yes, that could be. Like I said, I kinda like the idea; for ex the Para3 blade is just slightly wider than that of the PM2, just enough to be noticeable to the naked eye, and that's one thing I appreciate about that model. Also, the Stretch has a more pronounced belly than does, say, the PM2 or Police or Delica. I reckon this is due to it's origin as a hunters blade.
Don't know if you ever noticed it, but what's interesting in the Stretch blade: Yes, it somehow of course has a more pronounced belly than Delica, Endura and so on.
BUT: Other than most Spydies (that are not Wharnies) it has a very long, totally straight section of edge before the belly starts, so not a more continuous sweep or curve of the edge like Endura and so on...

Sometimes I think, that quite special shape (long, totally straight section, but then pronounced belly towards the tip) is exactly what makes the Stretch such a versatile cutter...

(All of the above is at least true for the Stretch 1, don't have a Stretch 2 currently)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:41 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:29 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Yep, you sure are right about that, which would make it very useful for loooong draws through material. Also, one other thing that I wasn't really aware of that you pointed out that is that the G-10 Stretch is slightly longer than the others. I'm generally in favor of longer blades, so that might be nice. If you are so inclined, you might check out the V-Toku sprint; it's readily available and not terribly expensive, and wow is that steel ever nice lol. I don't recall off the top of my head what your steel preferences are, but if they tend toward the non-stainless/tool, you'd like that sprint!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Excited to see the results. Are there any sketches of what it may look like, the blade hump is the only thing I personally didn’t like about this particular design.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Have been musing about what I´d like to see in a Straight Spine Stretch (SSS) some more, and would like to add to my recent post:

I strongly assume that the SSS will feature the exact same handle as the current Stretch 2, which is great, since it could be the most comfortable handle Spyderco has ever made. Only thing I don´t like: When you hold the knife in a regular grip behind the choil, your hand is rather far away from the edge, since the choil is quite wide (admittedly great for really thick fingers or when wearing thicker gloves!).

So what I´d like to see in a SSS: Make the choil a little less wide, but shorten it only on the blade side, not the handle side!

That would have two advantages for me personally:

- Hand closer to the edge when knife held behind the choil
- A longer actual edge!

As I already stated in my first post here: I hope the blade itself will be rather as long as in the current G10 version of the Stretch 2 (3.57 ), not short as in the current FRN version (3.43), but at least the 3.5 of the discontnínued Stretch 1...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Bit hard to get exited about a Stretch that's no longer a Stretch. :confused:

Unless I'm missing something, the blade shape and particularly the hump is what made the Stretch and what made it unique. :cool:

First the Stretch 2. Now the Stetchura? Brilliant, absolutely brilliant! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:31 pm

Unless I'm missing something, the blade shape and particularly the hump is what made the Stretch and what made it unique. :cool:

First the Stretch 2. Now the Stetchura? Brilliant, absolutely brilliant! :rolleyes:
I am with you personally!! That particular blade shape (or better "spine shape" is one of the great things of the Stretch, even more pronounced on the Stretch 1 than on the Stretch 2. It´s also very practical, since it provides a perfect spot to put your index finger or thumb in certain grips

But, that being said: Presumably many people did not like the looks of that blade, and so missed out on a great knife. A straight spine Stretch will still have the perfect handle and that for Spyderco quite unique "edge shape"(very long, perfectly straight section, then quite some belly as opposed to a more countinous curve like PM2, Endura and most other Spydies have).

So, if I had to choose just one: Always the "traditional" shaped Stretch. But if the straight spine brings more people to experience at least handle and edge of the Stretch: Great.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

The way I see it, if they keep the same edge profile, keep the tip in the same place, keep the "hump" over the Spyderhole the same height and location, and just run the spine straight from that tip to the top of the hump, the blade won't actually be any wider than it currently is. Like the topmost alternate blade shape pictured below....

3 alternate blade shapes.png
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:27 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

The way I see it, if they keep the same edge profile, keep the tip in the same place, keep the "hump" over the Spyderhole the same height and location, and just run the spine straight from that tip to the top of the hump, the blade won't actually be any wider than it currently is. Like the topmost alternate blade shape pictured below....

The first and second are fantastic. What about something like the Worker?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:27 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Oh wow thanks that's exactly what I needed to visualize it! Pretty sweet :cool: And yeah, you're right, it wouldn't be any "wider" in sum, but there would be more real estate if that makes any sense.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:39 pm
Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:31 pm

I am with you personally!! That particular blade shape (or better "spine shape" is one of the great things of the Stretch, even more pronounced on the Stretch 1 than on the Stretch 2. It´s also very practical, since it provides a perfect spot to put your index finger or thumb in certain grips

But, that being said: Presumably many people did not like the looks of that blade, and so missed out on a great knife. A straight spine Stretch will still have the perfect handle and that for Spyderco quite unique "edge shape"(very long, perfectly straight section, then quite some belly as opposed to a more countinous curve like PM2, Endura and most other Spydies have).

So, if I had to choose just one: Always the "traditional" shaped Stretch. But if the straight spine brings more people to experience at least handle and edge of the Stretch: Great.
The Stretch appealed to me for a few reasons. The fact that it makes for a better than average folding skinner was a big draw for me personally. :cool:

The Stretch 2 made the folded knife longer and wider with less blade. :confused: The straight spine makes it just another knife with a bit of belly but hey, that's just one silly little Aussie's view, ay? :D
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’m confused... why would anyone want to add material to the Stretch blade to make a straight line? What effect does that have on using the knife?