SpydieChef Stock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Accutronman

SpydieChef Stock

Post by Accutronman »

Where did all the SpydieChef stock go? Can’t find it at any dealer.
jdw

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Post by jdw »

It disappeared from sight with a bunch of other Taichung models. Taichung has always been so consistent in both quality and production runs that it really makes me wonder what's going on in the background. I have been on the fence about a Sheepsfoot Caribbean PE so I have been watching a lot of sites and they seem to be slowly drying up as well. Very strange. I hope that Spyderco gets it all worked soon. Taichung models are usually right on in f&f.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jdw wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:59 pm
It disappeared from sight with a bunch of other Taichung models. Taichung has always been so consistent in both quality and production runs that it really makes me wonder what's going on in the background. I have been on the fence about a Sheepsfoot Caribbean PE so I have been watching a lot of sites and they seem to be slowly drying up as well. Very strange. I hope that Spyderco gets it all worked soon. Taichung models are usually right on in f&f.
Could it be that several Taichung models are "cqi-ed" right now?

Sal confirmed this concerning the Chap, I remember vaguely that also the Kapara should be slightly improved, the Spydie Chef has some "lockbar-issue" (did not really look into the thread that covered this)...

So maybe they'll be available soon again, and even a bit better than they already were anyway..?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tragique

Post by tragique »

The McBee has also been hard to find. Hopefully it's going to come back soon, along with the Spydie Chef.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

tragique wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am
The McBee has also been hard to find. Hopefully it's going to come back soon, along with the Spydie Chef.
Probably not the most accurate info but... I ordered a McBee from Optics Planet in February and it was estimated to be available in 6-8 weeks. I checked status last month and the estimate had changed to 8-10 weeks. Today the estimate is 24-35 days.

They have the SpydieChef listed @ 1-3 months so we might see the McBee restocking sooner than the Chef.
-Turbo
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Maybe it is a CQI thing happening right now.
Based on what's being mentioned here and other places, hopefully it's the factory reworking their detents
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Has nothing to do with CQI. You guys are just slow to catch on is all. Been saying the same thing for months, No one listens.

Spyderco is going Uber conservative, sales are just not there.

Later in the year you will see another global recession starting housing prices dropping interest rates lowering even as they are now.

FYI time to sell property is yesterday.

Mark my words or don’t could really care less at this point.

Sal is no fool been here a long time and knows what he is doing.

You will see.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 pm
Been saying the same thing for months, No one listens.
I think people aren't listening because it doesn't make sense. With the advent of all these YouTube and social media "influencers", I think Spyderco is more popular than they've ever been before and Spyderco wasn't prepared for their products flying off the shelves so fast. And since they don't exclusively own the manufacturing facilities in those other countries, a product needs to "wait in line" until the manufacturer can get around to making it. So even if a product is in high demand, Spyderco's hands are tied even though they would love for more to be made ASAP. So I don't think they intentionally went conservative. I think they've just been sticking to their historical business model instead of changing for this new social media hype knife market. They'll probably be going bigger, not smaller. They only reason for going more conservative would be if products were sitting on shelves for a long time and that's not happening with these Taichung models.
timlara

Post by timlara »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:22 pm
With the advent of all these YouTube and social media "influencers", I think Spyderco is more popular than they've ever been before and Spyderco wasn't prepared for their products flying off the shelves so fast.

Yep, only an insider can see the actual numbers to prove it, but from my view, the influx of new customers from social media channels seems to be pretty strong, and there is more FOMO (fear of missing out) hysteria than there used to be in the old "forum only" internet days when it was mostly just the longtime hobbyists and collectors. Now I think there are a lot more "crossover" customers discovering Spyderco, which is obviously good for sales, but probably also hard to plan for in terms of inventory since social media trends and tastes can be very volatile.
Tim
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think the Taichung factory only has so much capacity.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Has nothing to do with CQI. You guys are just slow to catch on is all. Been saying the same thing for months, No one listens.

Later in the year you will see another global recession starting housing prices dropping interest rates lowering even as they are now.

You will see.
Hey, Does...
Do you know something that we don't? We don't make our sales numbers public, so I'm thinking that you're guessing :rolleyes:. As it relates to the SpydieChef, I can say, you're guessing incorrectly.

As for global recessions, housing prices, interest rates, and selling property... this isn't the place for those discussions, so I'll kindly ask that you keep your opinions on those topics off our forum.

The SpydieChef is in extremely high demand and there will be more to come. Hang in there!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:57 pm

You will see.
Hey, Does...
Do you know something that we don't? We don't make our sales numbers public, so I'm thinking that you're guessing :rolleyes:. As it relates to the SpydieChef, I can say, you're guessing incorrectly.

As for global recessions, housing prices, interest rates, and selling property... this isn't the place for those discussions, so I'll kindly ask that you keep your opinions on those topics off our forum.

The SpydieChef is in extremely high demand and there will be more to come. Hang in there!

Kristi
Hi Kristi,

The answer is of course you would know. For me it is just guessing. Glad you spoke up to alleviate some guessing and confirm more are coming out.

Any truth to the CQI guesswork?

Why then has it been months since any of the retailers have had stock to sell if Spyderco has not been more conservative this year?

Will honor your request on the rest.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:57 pm

You will see.
Hey, Does...

Kristi
Thanks, Kristi. Demand for the SpydieChef is well deserved — it's still my favorite Spyderco. Maybe if I could get hold of a Kapara, I could possibly change my mind? Hard to beat that SpydiChef blade.
Jim
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

jimmd wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:32 pm
Thanks, Kristi. Demand for the SpydieChef is well deserved — it's still my favorite Spyderco. Maybe if I could get hold of a Kapara, I could possibly change my mind? Hard to beat that SpydiChef blade.
The kapara is so hard to come by I stopped believing in its existence. Very happy I picked up an ikuchi as well. Getting so much use out of it that I wanted to pick up a backup, but I haven't seen them in stock anywhere ever since I got it on launch.

Bought a new large Sebenza 21 just today because of all the money I saved due to my knives of choice being unavailable for purchase this past year Haha. And some new sharpening stones recently.. Before that the dlt pm2 but I'm not sure if there was anything before that unfortunately.

Guess I'll buy a sage 5 lw right away when they hit stores. I've given up on the kapara by now unfortunately.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

dodgie02 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:14 pm
jimmd wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:32 pm
The kapara is so hard to come by I stopped believing in its existence. Very happy I picked up an ikuchi as well. Getting so much use out of it that I wanted to pick up a backup, but I haven't seen them in stock anywhere ever since I got it on launch.

Bought a new large Sebenza 21 just today because of all the money I saved due to my knives of choice being unavailable for purchase this past year Haha. And some new sharpening stones recently.. Before that the dlt pm2 but I'm not sure if there was anything before that unfortunately.

Guess I'll buy a sage 5 lw right away when they hit stores. I've given up on the kapara by now unfortunately.
I think I read a rumor that some CQI magic is being worked on the Kapara, and more will be released once that's complete.

I love the Sage 5, so I'm very interested to see what the LW version will be like.
Jim