SpydieChef Stock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Accutronman
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:44 am

SpydieChef Stock

Postby Accutronman » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:16 pm

Where did all the SpydieChef stock go? Can’t find it at any dealer.

User avatar
jdw
Member
Posts: 997
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:10 pm
Location: Red Dirt

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby jdw » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:59 pm

It disappeared from sight with a bunch of other Taichung models. Taichung has always been so consistent in both quality and production runs that it really makes me wonder what's going on in the background. I have been on the fence about a Sheepsfoot Caribbean PE so I have been watching a lot of sites and they seem to be slowly drying up as well. Very strange. I hope that Spyderco gets it all worked soon. Taichung models are usually right on in f&f.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4420
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:28 am

jdw wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:59 pm
It disappeared from sight with a bunch of other Taichung models. Taichung has always been so consistent in both quality and production runs that it really makes me wonder what's going on in the background. I have been on the fence about a Sheepsfoot Caribbean PE so I have been watching a lot of sites and they seem to be slowly drying up as well. Very strange. I hope that Spyderco gets it all worked soon. Taichung models are usually right on in f&f.
Could it be that several Taichung models are "cqi-ed" right now?

Sal confirmed this concerning the Chap, I remember vaguely that also the Kapara should be slightly improved, the Spydie Chef has some "lockbar-issue" (did not really look into the thread that covered this)...

So maybe they'll be available soon again, and even a bit better than they already were anyway..?
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

tragique
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:50 am

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby tragique » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am

The McBee has also been hard to find. Hopefully it's going to come back soon, along with the Spydie Chef.

User avatar
bbturbodad
Member
Posts: 495
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:18 am

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby bbturbodad » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:08 am

tragique wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am
The McBee has also been hard to find. Hopefully it's going to come back soon, along with the Spydie Chef.
Probably not the most accurate info but... I ordered a McBee from Optics Planet in February and it was estimated to be available in 6-8 weeks. I checked status last month and the estimate had changed to 8-10 weeks. Today the estimate is 24-35 days.

They have the SpydieChef listed @ 1-3 months so we might see the McBee restocking sooner than the Chef.
-Turbo

Marulaghost
Member
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby Marulaghost » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:35 am

Maybe it is a CQI thing happening right now.
Based on what's being mentioned here and other places, hopefully it's the factory reworking their detents

User avatar
Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Has nothing to do with CQI. You guys are just slow to catch on is all. Been saying the same thing for months, No one listens.

Spyderco is going Uber conservative, sales are just not there.

Later in the year you will see another global recession starting housing prices dropping interest rates lowering even as they are now.

FYI time to sell property is yesterday.

Mark my words or don’t could really care less at this point.

Sal is no fool been here a long time and knows what he is doing.

You will see.
I have spoken. :)

BornIn1500
Member
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby BornIn1500 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:22 pm

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 pm
Been saying the same thing for months, No one listens.
I think people aren't listening because it doesn't make sense. With the advent of all these YouTube and social media "influencers", I think Spyderco is more popular than they've ever been before and Spyderco wasn't prepared for their products flying off the shelves so fast. And since they don't exclusively own the manufacturing facilities in those other countries, a product needs to "wait in line" until the manufacturer can get around to making it. So even if a product is in high demand, Spyderco's hands are tied even though they would love for more to be made ASAP. So I don't think they intentionally went conservative. I think they've just been sticking to their historical business model instead of changing for this new social media hype knife market. They'll probably be going bigger, not smaller. They only reason for going more conservative would be if products were sitting on shelves for a long time and that's not happening with these Taichung models.

User avatar
timlara
Member
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby timlara » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:50 pm

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:22 pm
With the advent of all these YouTube and social media "influencers", I think Spyderco is more popular than they've ever been before and Spyderco wasn't prepared for their products flying off the shelves so fast.

Yep, only an insider can see the actual numbers to prove it, but from my view, the influx of new customers from social media channels seems to be pretty strong, and there is more FOMO (fear of missing out) hysteria than there used to be in the old "forum only" internet days when it was mostly just the longtime hobbyists and collectors. Now I think there are a lot more "crossover" customers discovering Spyderco, which is obviously good for sales, but probably also hard to plan for in terms of inventory since social media trends and tastes can be very volatile.
Tim

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby curlyhairedboy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:37 am

I think the Taichung factory only has so much capacity.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Lil Native, Sage 5 LW
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native
Would like to own again: Sheepsfoot Caribbean
Wishlist: CQI Kapara, Watu, Tanto PM2, Shaman Sprints!

User avatar
TazKristi
Member
Posts: 2979
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:00 pm
Location: Golden, CO

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby TazKristi » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 pm
Has nothing to do with CQI. You guys are just slow to catch on is all. Been saying the same thing for months, No one listens.

Spyderco is going Uber conservative, sales are just not there.

Later in the year you will see another global recession starting housing prices dropping interest rates lowering even as they are now.

FYI time to sell property is yesterday.

Mark my words or don’t could really care less at this point.

Sal is no fool been here a long time and knows what he is doing.

You will see.
Hey, Does...
Do you know something that we don't? We don't make our sales numbers public, so I'm thinking that you're guessing :rolleyes:. As it relates to the SpydieChef, I can say, you're guessing incorrectly.

As for global recessions, housing prices, interest rates, and selling property... this isn't the place for those discussions, so I'll kindly ask that you keep your opinions on those topics off our forum.

The SpydieChef is in extremely high demand and there will be more to come. Hang in there!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9271
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby bearfacedkiller » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:08 pm

Image
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:55 pm

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:57 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 pm
Has nothing to do with CQI. You guys are just slow to catch on is all. Been saying the same thing for months, No one listens.

Spyderco is going Uber conservative, sales are just not there.

Later in the year you will see another global recession starting housing prices dropping interest rates lowering even as they are now.

FYI time to sell property is yesterday.

Mark my words or don’t could really care less at this point.

Sal is no fool been here a long time and knows what he is doing.

You will see.
Hey, Does...
Do you know something that we don't? We don't make our sales numbers public, so I'm thinking that you're guessing :rolleyes:. As it relates to the SpydieChef, I can say, you're guessing incorrectly.

As for global recessions, housing prices, interest rates, and selling property... this isn't the place for those discussions, so I'll kindly ask that you keep your opinions on those topics off our forum.

The SpydieChef is in extremely high demand and there will be more to come. Hang in there!

Kristi
Hi Kristi,

The answer is of course you would know. For me it is just guessing. Glad you spoke up to alleviate some guessing and confirm more are coming out.

Any truth to the CQI guesswork?

Why then has it been months since any of the retailers have had stock to sell if Spyderco has not been more conservative this year?

Will honor your request on the rest.
I have spoken. :)

jimmd
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby jimmd » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:32 pm

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:57 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 pm
Has nothing to do with CQI. You guys are just slow to catch on is all. Been saying the same thing for months, No one listens.

Spyderco is going Uber conservative, sales are just not there.

Later in the year you will see another global recession starting housing prices dropping interest rates lowering even as they are now.

FYI time to sell property is yesterday.

Mark my words or don’t could really care less at this point.

Sal is no fool been here a long time and knows what he is doing.

You will see.
Hey, Does...
Do you know something that we don't? We don't make our sales numbers public, so I'm thinking that you're guessing :rolleyes:. As it relates to the SpydieChef, I can say, you're guessing incorrectly.

As for global recessions, housing prices, interest rates, and selling property... this isn't the place for those discussions, so I'll kindly ask that you keep your opinions on those topics off our forum.

The SpydieChef is in extremely high demand and there will be more to come. Hang in there!

Kristi
Thanks, Kristi. Demand for the SpydieChef is well deserved — it's still my favorite Spyderco. Maybe if I could get hold of a Kapara, I could possibly change my mind? Hard to beat that SpydiChef blade.
Jim

dodgie02
Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby dodgie02 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:14 pm

jimmd wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:32 pm
Thanks, Kristi. Demand for the SpydieChef is well deserved — it's still my favorite Spyderco. Maybe if I could get hold of a Kapara, I could possibly change my mind? Hard to beat that SpydiChef blade.
The kapara is so hard to come by I stopped believing in its existence. Very happy I picked up an ikuchi as well. Getting so much use out of it that I wanted to pick up a backup, but I haven't seen them in stock anywhere ever since I got it on launch.
Image

Bought a new large Sebenza 21 just today because of all the money I saved due to my knives of choice being unavailable for purchase this past year Haha. And some new sharpening stones recently.. Before that the dlt pm2 but I'm not sure if there was anything before that unfortunately.

Guess I'll buy a sage 5 lw right away when they hit stores. I've given up on the kapara by now unfortunately.

jimmd
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: SpydieChef Stock

Postby jimmd » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:54 pm

dodgie02 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:14 pm
jimmd wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:32 pm
Thanks, Kristi. Demand for the SpydieChef is well deserved — it's still my favorite Spyderco. Maybe if I could get hold of a Kapara, I could possibly change my mind? Hard to beat that SpydiChef blade.
The kapara is so hard to come by I stopped believing in its existence. Very happy I picked up an ikuchi as well. Getting so much use out of it that I wanted to pick up a backup, but I haven't seen them in stock anywhere ever since I got it on launch.
Image

Bought a new large Sebenza 21 just today because of all the money I saved due to my knives of choice being unavailable for purchase this past year Haha. And some new sharpening stones recently.. Before that the dlt pm2 but I'm not sure if there was anything before that unfortunately.

Guess I'll buy a sage 5 lw right away when they hit stores. I've given up on the kapara by now unfortunately.
I think I read a rumor that some CQI magic is being worked on the Kapara, and more will be released once that's complete.

I love the Sage 5, so I'm very interested to see what the LW version will be like.
Jim


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: araneae, Bing [Bot], Bradley, Doc Dan, michaelm466 and 22 guests