Caribbean vs Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Caribbean vs Military

Post by Pelagic »

Wow Lance, I still haven't had the pleasure of holding a Caribbean yet, but it sure looks like its ergos would be hard to beat. I believe the handle would fill my grip much better than the military.

S110V is a chore to use sometimes. And I say this having used it more than any other blade steel. It's very stubborn in sharpening, to the point where the edge retention does not make up for it. A few days ago, given this was very strong and thick cardboard (5 layers thick/4 inches wide — it padded the corners of a filing cabinet in shipment), I made about 10 cuts and the s110v millie went from hair whittling to no longer shaving. It was at ~10dps with ~12dps microbevel. The edge completely blunted. I think if you're careful with your cuts and use great technique s110v will go a long way, but don't expect wild edge retention. I think LC200N would be more enjoyable to use. I do like the comp lock better as well.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

VashHash wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:42 pm
Autonomy 2 if it's legal in your area.
If it wasn't so dang heavy I would agree, but it is like a lead weight. It should be called the Samoan.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I've never been much of a Military fan. The more relevant question for me, right now, is; Caribbean vs Native Chief? Now there's a real conundrum ;)
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:46 am
VashHash wrote:
If it wasn't so dang heavy I would agree, but it is like a lead weight. It should be called the Samoan.
According to the specs the carribean is 4.20 oz and the auto 2 is 5.5 oz. To each their own though. My CF S90V millie comes in right at 4oz. I don't feel like I'd notice a whole 1.5oz but maybe I'm less sensitive to weight.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:27 pm
I’m a salt guy normally but I much prefer the Military over the Caribbean. Carries slimmer, MUCH more comfortable in hand (at least for me), better action, better/stronger detent.

I agree, I have both. :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Catamount123 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:59 am
I've never been much of a Military fan. The more relevant question for me, right now, is; Caribbean vs Native Chief? Now there's a real conundrum ;)
Now that´s an much more easy one for me than the "Millie vs Caribbean": Though I actually never handled one yet: CHIEF no doubt!! (Probably) a Native-class backlock (and so the best ever imho...) plus the slim carry clearly wins for me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VashHash wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:04 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
VashHash wrote:
....I don't feel like I'd notice a whole 1.5oz but maybe I'm less sensitive to weight.
Depens on the pants I am wearing for me. In jeans, I really don´t care for (less) weight. In summer shorts I do..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:08 am
Wow Lance, I still haven't had the pleasure of holding a Caribbean yet, but it sure looks like its ergos would be hard to beat. I believe the handle would fill my grip much better than the military.

S110V is a chore to use sometimes. And I say this having used it more than any other blade steel. It's very stubborn in sharpening, to the point where the edge retention does not make up for it. A few days ago, given this was very strong and thick cardboard (5 layers thick/4 inches wide — it padded the corners of a filing cabinet in shipment), I made about 10 cuts and the s110v millie went from hair whittling to no longer shaving. It was at ~10dps with ~12dps microbevel. The edge completely blunted. I think if you're careful with your cuts and use great technique s110v will go a long way, but don't expect wild edge retention. I think LC200N would be more enjoyable to use. I do like the comp lock better as well.
I agree 100%. This is exactly my experience, time and time again. I own two s110v paramilitaries, and the edge retention is not as amazing as I was hoping for. And compared to the extra time/frustration it takes to sharpen, I'm beginning to think it's not worth it.

I can get s110v sharp and paper slicing without too much trouble. But it has stubborn burrs, and for me has been impossible to get that next level of sharpness. Which takes away a lot of the enjoyment for me. I would rather have less edge retention, but a more enjoyable/successful, sharpening experience.

I just got the Caribbean, it's very ergonomic, same weight as PM2. I have yet to sharpen it, but I'm hoping for a more fun experience than my s110v
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wartstein my friend and others: While some who have used the Military have said they have used it to the excess and have never broken the tip, is it very likely that mechanically the Spyderco Caribbean blade is truly tougher and more durable than the Millie, especially with hard use, such as camping out on an island or in the mountains?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Pelagic wrote: .....
S110V is a chore to use sometimes. ....... It was at ~10dps with ~12dps microbevel. The edge completely blunted. I think if you're careful with your cuts and use great technique s110v will go a long way, but don't expect wild edge retention. I think LC200N would be more enjoyable to use. I do like the comp lock better as well.
Man, you are way more brave then me, I would never go for that steep of a angle on high carbude steel. I sharpen S30V at about 15 dps (give or take) with about 20 dps micro. It is freehand, so cant tell for sure.
I have a Waterway and LC is such a nice steel, respond very nice to Medium ceramic and then some 10 and 5 micron diamond paste and the edge is so nice.
EDIT: I forgot, I read your thread about S110V, very nice write-up. ....Like, I dont need a supersteel like S110V, but I want to try it at some point.
Surfingringo wrote:
I’m a salt guy normally but I much prefer the Military over the Caribbean. Carries slimmer, MUCH more comfortable in hand (at least for me), better action, better/stronger detent.
How much weaker is the detent on Caribbean? Can you compare Millie and Caribbean to PM2 (coz I have one)
Oh yeah Lance, great job on Waterway, trully a master desing. :spyder:
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Every Taichung knife that I have owned had a lighter detent. Is the Caribbean typical of other Taichung folders with ball detents?

Also curious what makes the ergos so different? I thought the Caribbean looked to be hand filling with a nice palm swell.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:11 am
Every Taichung knife that I have owned had a lighter detent. Is the Caribbean typical of other Taichung folders with ball detents?

Also curious what makes the ergos so different? I thought the Caribbean looked to be hand filling with a nice palm swell.

It could be stronger for sure. I dunno what's up with Taichung's detents, the Southard is a PITA to open via thumb hole, it's the strongest detent I own. The ergos are fantastic for me, I don't get the complaints myself. It's exactly what I want in a handle. Maybe some just want a choil I dunno.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ferider

Post by ferider »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:11 am
Very much so. The only exception is the Smock.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I don’t own a Military and have never handled one not that they don’t interest me. I can tell you the Caribbean is probably my favorite Spyderco.

You would have a lot easier time sharpening the Caribbean too.

Some people are talking about the weak detent on the Caribbean. Yes the detent is a little weak but I have no problem thumb flicking or Spyder flicking it and it’s never opened in my pocket ( not clipped to it just in there )
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:30 am
Pelagic wrote:

I agree 100%. This is exactly my experience, time and time again. I own two s110v paramilitaries, and the edge retention is not as amazing as I was hoping for. And compared to the extra time/frustration it takes to sharpen, I'm beginning to think it's not worth it.

I can get s110v sharp and paper slicing without too much trouble. But it has stubborn burrs, and for me has been impossible to get that next level of sharpness. Which takes away a lot of the enjoyment for me. I would rather have less edge retention, but a more enjoyable/successful, sharpening experience.

I just got the Caribbean, it's very ergonomic, same weight as PM2. I have yet to sharpen it, but I'm hoping for a more fun experience than my s110v
Yeah. If you use it correctly it has its place, but it's just "touchy" imo.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

VashHash wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:04 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
VashHash wrote:
According to the specs the carribean is 4.20 oz and the auto 2 is 5.5 oz. To each their own though. My CF S90V millie comes in right at 4oz. I don't feel like I'd notice a whole 1.5oz but maybe I'm less sensitive to weight.
When you are holding them side by side, the difference is big. I'm not sensitive to weight, but I'm not going to carry a heavier, smaller version of my favorite knife just because it has a button. I can open my knife just as fast(or faster) than the Autonomy 2 can.

I like the Autonomy 2, but not as an EDC work tool. It would serve well as a center console resident or in a tool pouch.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:07 am
Pelagic wrote: .....
S110V is a chore to use sometimes. ....... It was at ~10dps with ~12dps microbevel. The edge completely blunted. I think if you're careful with your cuts and use great technique s110v will go a long way, but don't expect wild edge retention. I think LC200N would be more enjoyable to use. I do like the comp lock better as well.
Man, you are way more brave then me, I would never go for that steep of a angle on high carbude steel. I sharpen S30V at about 15 dps (give or take) with about 20 dps micro. It is freehand, so cant tell for sure.
I have a Waterway and LC is such a nice steel, respond very nice to Medium ceramic and then some 10 and 5 micron diamond paste and the edge is so nice.
EDIT: I forgot, I read your thread about S110V, very nice write-up. ....Like, I dont need a supersteel like S110V, but I want to try it at some point.
Surfingringo wrote:
How much weaker is the detent on Caribbean? Can you compare Millie and Caribbean to PM2 (coz I have one)
Oh yeah Lance, great job on Waterway, trully a master desing. :spyder:
If you want a supersteel I would recommend maxamet, zdp189, or s90v over s110v any day. S90v has nearly the edge retention of s110v without the ultra stubborn burrs at the cost of some corrosion resistance. Maxamet doesn’t burr at all if you learn to sharpen it with the right amount of pressure which makes sharpening a breeze (though I wouldn’t want to reprofile it on a sharpmaker), and zdp is surprisingly easy to sharpen because of the lack of vanadium.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Pelagic wrote:

I couldn’t agree more on the s110v analysis. Those are my feelings exactly. The steel is fussy about taking high levels of “sharp” and offers no performance advantage to someone who sharpens early and often. I don’t dislike the steel but there are many others that are better suited to my uses. I think for a guy who only wants to pull out the edge pro once ever couple of months and is ok with using his edges well into the fairly dull “working edge” stage, s110v makes a fine option. I also think steels like that are very suitable for skinners and fillet knives where a “working edge” can actually perform better than one at higher sharpness.

Regarding the Caribbean handle, it has good ergos but just doesn’t fit my hand as well as the Millie does. The Caribbean handle seems a bit taller and the edges feel more hard/square than the Military.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Check out the cutting test in this review. https://knifeinformer.com/spyderco-mili ... 0v-review/
I own 2 Millies and I love the knife. I can’t bring myself to purchase the Caribbean because it is butt ugly. Everything else, steel, lock, blade shape is right up my alley and the knife will go to the top of my list when they change the handle.
I own a PM2 in S110V and a Spydiechef in LC 200N. Both steels are great. I would go with the Military hands down. You won’t regret it.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

kodai78 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:22 pm
Check out the cutting test in this review. https://knifeinformer.com/spyderco-mili ... 0v-review/
I own 2 Millies and I love the knife. I can’t bring myself to purchase the Caribbean because it is butt ugly. Everything else, steel, lock, blade shape is right up my alley and the knife will go to the top of my list when they change the handle.
I own a PM2 in S110V and a Spydiechef in LC 200N. Both steels are great. I would go with the Military hands down. You won’t regret it.
spyderco has received similar feedback to this many times on this forum. even most people that love the knife don't care for the handle. it hasn't seemed to phase them in the least. i'm not sure if they're just standing by a purpose-built design for what it is or what, but they don't seem to care that everyone wants to see some changes made to the handle. i wonder if it's selling well enough to see new iterations with different scales. if it's not selling well enough because of the scales, does spyderco change the scales like most people want, or do they just discontinue the model and start over on something else?

edit: for the record, the looks really turned me off initially, but they've grown on me enough for me to consider buying and using one as my ocean knife. the holdup for me is more about the handle shape. i don't like pinky hooks and would much rather see the handle narrow toward the end like the manix 2 does.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C