Caribbean vs Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pancake

Caribbean vs Military

Post by Pancake »

So uh yeah, in summer I am going to buy (another) :spyder:

I have been thinking about these two, Caribbean leaf and S110V Millie. I want to buy another big-ish all purpose folder.

While I dont live anywhere near water, I really like my Waterway beaing fully rustproof, so Caribbean has a point there, but also S110V is also a very stainless. On the other hand, I never had a super super steel like 110V (talking about edge retention), so it could be a nice experience as well.

Edge lenght is almost the same on both.

Handle is for sure super comfy on both. Dont really care for choil (not a priority)

Lock: while I love my compression lock on my PM2, I dont think that linerlock is any worse.

Carry: well, only RHTU on Millie......Caribbean wins here.

So, what would you choose? Or do you have any other models that I might consider?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
SG89

Re: Caribbean vs Military

Post by SG89 »

Native Chief
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:26 pm
Native Chief
Already have one :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lol awesome. People that have the Caribbean really seem to love it.
Spydergirl88
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

For me,the Caribbean wins.No choil and superior lock,plus 2 blade shapes to choose from.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

My opinion, the Caribbean destroys the Military.

The Caribbean is the best folding knife Spyderco has ever made.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Caribbean.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I love the Caribbean. I do not have a Military. The Caribbean is a wonderful, utilitarian, and robust design. Please don't consider me a heretic, Crux :)

What if Spyderco were to create a knife that had a mix of Caribbean and Military Features? The Milibbean? The Caritary?

I hope there will be a Caribbean Light Weight!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I hope there will be a Caribbean lightweight too
Spydergirl88
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

If you plan on using the knife for endless cutting nothing beats a Military, especially one in S110V. If the knife will be carried often but used only moderately the Caribbean is a more compact package and lets you carry it however you prefer, plus it is basically rust proof so there's no worries there.
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:21 am
I hope there will be a Caribbean Light Weight!
As a person that spends a lot of time at the beach, in the water and on a boat that would be an automatic buy for me. :)
ferider

Post by ferider »

The Military.

BTW s110v is Spydercos most corrosion proof steel after H1 and LC200N. But harder and more wear resistant.

Maybe the compression lock is safer. People say this, but what they really mean is that its more fun to play with :) Note that on my Militaries, the detent is better.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I’m a salt guy normally but I much prefer the Military over the Caribbean. Carries slimmer, MUCH more comfortable in hand (at least for me), better action, better/stronger detent.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Each is spectacular and I’m happy not to choose

Sal’s latest thinking in knife-design does not make stale his earlier thinking.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Autonomy 2 if it's legal in your area.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:18 pm
So uh yeah, in summer I am going to buy (another) :spyder:

I have been thinking about these two, Caribbean leaf and S110V Millie. I want to buy another big-ish all purpose folder.

While I dont live anywhere near water, I really like my Waterway beaing fully rustproof, so Caribbean has a point there, but also S110V is also a very stainless. On the other hand, I never had a super super steel like 110V (talking about edge retention), so it could be a nice experience as well.

Edge lenght is almost the same on both.

Handle is for sure super comfy on both. Dont really care for choil (not a priority)

Lock: while I love my compression lock on my PM2, I dont think that linerlock is any worse.

Carry: well, only RHTU on Millie......Caribbean wins here.

So, what would you choose? Or do you have any other models that I might consider?

Of the two knives, I have only owned the CPM S110V Military. It is a terrifically designed knife, comfortable and solid. How much do you like sharpening? S110V will probably require a bit more time and effort with sharpening than LC200N. (Although I must say that I have not had any significant issues with sharpening S110V, at all.)
Both are great Glesser designs and I dare say you'll be quite happy with whichever one you choose. :)

BTW, you seriously need to change your avatar. Makes me hungry every time I see it! :p :D :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Guys, you dont make my life any easier!
I am still not sure which one to get...... I think sensible think would be wait for Release no. 3 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand maybe there will some sprint run of Milie.....That would be cool.

But for now, its still 50/50 for each model.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'd go for a caribbean, personally, but i don't care for the military and i would find the caribbean more useful in a salty environment. i don't like the tip down carry of the military. i prefer the compression lock to the liner lock. i like the blade shapes on the caribbean more than the military. i've never sharpened s110v, but lc200n is a dream to touch up, so i'd definitely prefer it based on what i've read. the only thing i like better about the military is the handle shape, but i don't really care for either of their handles. if you don't want a choil and you want a maintenance free folder, get the caribbean.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Military is your best bet ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have a Millie, don't have a Caribbean, would still choose the latter personally...

Both offer exactly the same edge length, but while the Military is a bit long when closed for a comfortable carry, the Caribbean is even shorter than the Chief you already own in that regard, even shorter than an Endura... for me that's a plus, others won't care.

What still speaks for the Military are its great ergos, gripping that knife somehow feels like sitting back in an old, comfy, leather-armchair... ;)
But the Caribbean looks very comfy too (never held one though).

When looking at it, I am always a bit worried how thin and fine the Militarys tip is. But since I almost never carry mine, I can't tell how durable the tip really is or not.

To make your life even more complicated: If you want a larger knife in a "supersteel", what about an Endura in ZDP 189 (TOO "super" and hard for me, but can be found for a very good price) or in HAP40 (my choice, easier to sharpen, but harder to find)?

Of course it offers a little less edge (but not by much) compared to Caribbean and Milli (its more in the Chiefs range), and has a backlock like the Chief. That would be a big plus for me, but if you want to maybe try different locktypes maybe not for you...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)