Caribbean vs Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Caribbean vs Military

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:45 pm
kodai78 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:22 pm
Check out the cutting test in this review. https://knifeinformer.com/spyderco-mili ... 0v-review/
I own 2 Millies and I love the knife. I can’t bring myself to purchase the Caribbean because it is butt ugly. Everything else, steel, lock, blade shape is right up my alley and the knife will go to the top of my list when they change the handle.
I own a PM2 in S110V and a Spydiechef in LC 200N. Both steels are great. I would go with the Military hands down. You won’t regret it.
spyderco has received similar feedback to this many times on this forum. even most people that love the knife don't care for the handle. it hasn't seemed to phase them in the least. i'm not sure if they're just standing by a purpose-built design for what it is or what, but they don't seem to care that everyone wants to see some changes made to the handle. i wonder if it's selling well enough to see new iterations with different scales. if it's not selling well enough because of the scales, does spyderco change the scales like most people want, or do they just discontinue the model and start over on something else?

edit: for the record, the looks really turned me off initially, but they've grown on me enough for me to consider buying and using one as my ocean knife. the holdup for me is more about the handle shape. i don't like pinky hooks and would much rather see the handle narrow toward the end like the manix 2 does.

Firstly, if you've paid attention to any of the known changes (CQI and such) you'd know they do listen, but these changes don't just pop up whenever the squeaky wheel squeaks. It's a slow process. They may have changes in the works but there could also be dozens of models in line first.

Second, the handle issue you have is somewhat moddable if you're so inclined. You won't be able to get it as pointy as a Manix 2 but you can mostly eliminate the hook without getting into the liner and make it look factory done.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:05 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
kodai78 wrote:
Check out the cutting test in this review. https://knifeinformer.com/spyderco-mili ... 0v-review/
I own 2 Millies and I love the knife. I can’t bring myself to purchase the Caribbean because it is butt ugly. Everything else, steel, lock, blade shape is right up my alley and the knife will go to the top of my list when they change the handle.
I own a PM2 in S110V and a Spydiechef in LC 200N. Both steels are great. I would go with the Military hands down. You won’t regret it.
spyderco has received similar feedback to this many times on this forum. even most people that love the knife don't care for the handle. it hasn't seemed to phase them in the least. i'm not sure if they're just standing by a purpose-built design for what it is or what, but they don't seem to care that everyone wants to see some changes made to the handle. i wonder if it's selling well enough to see new iterations with different scales. if it's not selling well enough because of the scales, does spyderco change the scales like most people want, or do they just discontinue the model and start over on something else?

edit: for the record, the looks really turned me off initially, but they've grown on me enough for me to consider buying and using one as my ocean knife. the holdup for me is more about the handle shape. i don't like pinky hooks and would much rather see the handle narrow toward the end like the manix 2 does.

Firstly, if you've paid attention to any of the known changes (CQI and such) you'd know they do listen, but these changes don't just pop up whenever the squeaky wheel squeaks. It's a slow process. They may have changes in the works but there could also be dozens of models in line first.

Second, the handle issue you have is somewhat moddable if you're so inclined. You won't be able to get it as pointy as a Manix 2 but you can mostly eliminate the hook without getting into the liner and make it look factory done.

i certainly wasn't trying to imply that spyderco doesn't listen to their customers. i know they do. if anything, that's why i find it surprising that i haven't seen anything about this one. it's such a common complaint.

also, you have done more to change my view on this knife than anyone. your thread made me take another look and give it a second thought. now, you're showing me exactly what i need to see. that detail pic could really be a game changer for me. when you're talking about your pockets, a few mm can make a huge difference in how well something carries. (twss) thanks for the picture! :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Not everyone hates or wants to mod the Caribbean’s handle. For the record, I like it lots. It’s perfectly in keeping with Spyderco’s well-established chance-taking on people’s tastes.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:05 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
kodai78 wrote:

Nice mod, David.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joining the "hook at the end of the handle-discussion", I must say I totally like such a hook, as long as it does not impair a good four finger grip.(by making the actual grip-area too short).

Of course that's strongly correlated to the particular hand size of a person.

So for my particular handsize: Hook on Stretch 1 or Milli: Great!
On Para 3: Would hate it probably (don't have a Para 3)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:44 pm
Joining the "hook at the end of the handle-discussion", I must say I totally like such a hook, as long as it does not impair a good four finger grip.(by making the actual grip-area too short).

i don’t mind it in hand, but i hate it in pocket. my knives spend more time in my pocket than in my hand.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:42 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:44 pm

i don’t mind it in hand, but i hate it in pocket. my knives spend more time in my pocket than in my hand.
That's indeed a good point!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I think the Caribbean would've looked better in Rastafarian colors (black green yellow red). It would be fitting for its name and would appeal to many US coastal and Caribbean customers. It would make it even more one of a kind than it already is.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
jdw

Post by jdw »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 am
I think the Caribbean would've looked better in Rastafarian colors (black green yellow red). It would be fitting for its name and would appeal to many US coastal and Caribbean customers. It would make it even more one of a kind than it already is.
That's a really great call. I would probably already own one in that color scheme and your reasoning is really solid.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:15 pm

also, you have done more to change my view on this knife than anyone. your thread made me take another look and give it a second thought. now, you're showing me exactly what i need to see. that detail pic could really be a game changer for me. when you're talking about your pockets, a few mm can make a huge difference in how well something carries. (twss) thanks for the picture! :)
You can grind the point down quite a bit. I don't think you can get it all the way down close to the liner though because you might end up exposing the blade tip but you can round it off a good amount.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I got curious so I took mine apart, there would still be a bit of a hump at the end, definitely more than a Manix but far less than there is now.

You could go a bit further and grind down the kick area where the blade hits the stop pin when closed and that would nest the blade into the handle further and then you could round it off even more, but you would also push the thumb hole down into the handle further so that's a trade off. There's a good amount of space between the edge and the lanyard tube when closed (I suspect because the same handle has to accommodate the sheepsfoot blade) so there's lots of room to push the blade in further.

~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I consider the Caribbean (leaf blade) to possibly be the best Spyderco folder they've ever made. However, I can also foresee the Military still being around long after the Caribbean has come and gone. I'm not sure how well the latter is selling and for how long. Personally, I like the Caribbean's handle, but I don't think it's particularly attractive. It's purely function-based, which is not a bad thing, except that it seems to turn a lot of people off.

I would love to see a Caribbean in an all-black G10 handle, with the smooth area under the clip contact point left intact, but that's just me, and I don't foresee it ever happening. Shape-wise, I like it fine the way it is.

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 am
Irie mon, the idea appeals to me, but then I like the bumble bee.

With two extra colors exposed, the handle would be extra grippy.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I’m obsessed with a sheepsfoot blade and everything else about the Caribbean just not the scales. Please give us some TI or CF scales and I’m all over this. A combination blade would be awesome too.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Caribbean kicks Jaws' dorsal fin :)

SharkSeal.jpg
SharkSeal.jpg (13.15 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:26 am
I got curious so I took mine apart, there would still be a bit of a hump at the end, definitely more than a Manix but far less than there is now.

You could go a bit further and grind down the kick area where the blade hits the stop pin when closed and that would nest the blade into the handle further and then you could round it off even more, but you would also push the thumb hole down into the handle further so that's a trade off. There's a good amount of space between the edge and the lanyard tube when closed (I suspect because the same handle has to accommodate the sheepsfoot blade) so there's lots of room to push the blade in further.

this post is amazing. thanks for going through all that trouble. believe it or not, that actually makes both versions more attractive to me. i wish there was a manix 2 lw salt in lc200n, but even if there was, i’d still get a se sheepsfoot caribbean.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
anycal

Post by anycal »

Wouldn't that change where the detent ball lines up with the detent hole on the blade?

Evil D wrote:

Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

anycal wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:09 pm
Wouldn't that change where the detent ball lines up with the detent hole on the blade?

Evil D wrote:

Yikes... didn't consider that. :o
~David
JaxBaron

Post by JaxBaron »

My choice is the Caribbean. The Caribbean is a knife I was very hesitant to purchase because of the scales. I have since purchased the leaf and sheepsfoot plain edge versions and have come to like the funky scales. It gets my vote!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:18 pm
anycal wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Evil D wrote:

Yikes... didn't consider that. :o
it’s alright. i wouldn’t be messing with that. just removing that little bit of handle would probably suffice.
current collection:
spyderco steels: