Caly 3.5 Light Weight: Any News?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Meadowlark

Re: Caly 3.5 Light Weight: Any News?

Post by Meadowlark »

Halfneck wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:33 pm
Sal - are they going to be screw construction?
Though I may be mistaken I'm pretty sure screwed construction was confirmed some time ago.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Sal, thanks for the update.

After going crazy last year, I told myself no new knives this year but I'll make an exception for this one.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Matus wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:22 am
The way that is worded is sounds like the Caly line is made by an external company, not Spyderco themselves, but maybe I am reading it wrong.
Any Spyderco that's not made in the Golden, CO USA plant is outsourced to a non-Spyderco factory who produces the knives for Spyderco
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Matus

Post by Matus »

I guess I had the wrong idea about the non-Golden production sites. I kind of assumed that Spyderco has their own plants elsewhere rather than outsourcing production to 3rd parties. Nothing wrong with that, just lack of knowledge on my side. It still amazes me though that they can have the same model made over a long period of time and even after a long break AND keep this running over decades. But it is very apparent they have this part figured out.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:37 am
I believe the design is sound and will serve a particular niche market. The FRN has grip and it's less expensive than G-10 or Carbon Fiber. It's a fairly large blade for the size of the package. We can do colors and steels.

Cool! I wonder how that niche market is described: Calyheads? People who want a lot of leaf blade in a slim handle that disappears into the pocket? If so, that makes me a HUGE Calyhead.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matus,

We've been working with select OEM manufacturers in several Countries for decades. 3 in Japan, 2 in Italy, 2 in Taiwan and several in China. They are made to our designs, our specs, steels, etc. They are all QC'd in Golden.

sal
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

sal wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:21 am
Hi Matus,

We've been working with select OEM manufacturers in several Countries for decades. 3 in Japan, 2 in Italy, 2 in Taiwan and several in China. They are made to our designs, our specs, steels, etc. They are all QC'd in Golden.

sal
I find it pretty impressive that regardless of country of origin every single Spyderco and, I'm assuming, Byrd knife first makes it through golden QC before purchase.
Matus

Post by Matus »

sal wrote:
Hi Matus,

sal
Thank you for the explanation sal. As someone who has a lot of direct contact with suppliers at work (a very different business field), I have a lot of admiration and respect how you managed to keep consistent products over many model lines and literally decades.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Matus. We try.

sal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

sal wrote:
Hi Matus,

sal
And this is why it's worth paying for a Spyderco. Currently seems there's a number of designers and start ups that are contracting with Chinese manufacturers. I have no problem with this. But when I pay $150 to $200 for a supposed premium knife and there's no QC; resulting in gaps in the scale to liner fit and a liner lockbar that has less than a half a millimeter of engagement. Oh and no response to emails either... Let's say the value of my Spydercos just increased a great deal. Thanks Sal and company.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Bump. Please Sal, trow us a little bone. The steel maybe 😊
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:07 pm
Bump. Please Sal, trow us a little bone. The steel maybe 😊
As I mentioned in my Caly thread, it'd be neat to see it in spy 27.

Think that's a possibility?
z1r

Post by z1r »

Saw a Caly 3.5 in the SFO today......must resist.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

z1r wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:43 pm
My son, I release you of all your oaths. Do tell…something…. anything 😬
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:25 am
z1r wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:43 pm
My son, I release you of all your oaths. Do tell…something…. anything 😬
Probably the CF ZDP-189 Version my guess. I believe they came back into production and started shipping this year.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
sal

Post by sal »

They are beginning to come in, but the maker is a small maker and has limited capacity. We can get a couple of hundred pieces per month but have to store them until we have enough to begin shipping to collectors and current orders.

The Caly 3.5 is one of those "evolved" designs beginning with the Calypso Jr, UKPK, Caly 3, etc. Now that the maker is "back on track" after a few years of storms, I look forward to have the opportunity to design other variations based on the "spirit" of the design. We have an FRN version in-the-works an I'd also like to eventually create a 4" version. We put out a 4" Caly years ago, and I think I can refine the concept.

sal
anycal

Post by anycal »

Wow! That is great news! I am looking forward to the new Caly 3.5, and am interested in the larger version as well.
Peter
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Hey Sal, can you say whether or not the Caly 3 will be planned to come back? Personally I think the 3” blade is perfect for the Caly design, and just the right size blade for general multi-use utility and edc tasks a pocket folder demands.much respect to you and thank you for the updates Sal.
:bug-red-white
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

sal wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:55 am
They are beginning to come in, but the maker is a small maker and has limited capacity. We can get a couple of hundred pieces per month but have to store them until we have enough to begin shipping to collectors and current orders.

The Caly 3.5 is one of those "evolved" designs beginning with the Calypso Jr, UKPK, Caly 3, etc. Now that the maker is "back on track" after a few years of storms, I look forward to have the opportunity to design other variations based on the "spirit" of the design. We have an FRN version in-the-works an I'd also like to eventually create a 4" version. We put out a 4" Caly years ago, and I think I can refine the concept.

sal
Hi Sal,

Is it too much to ask what specific iteration of the Caly 3.5 lw is currently trickling into storage until enough surplus is on hand for reveal?

Great news!
z1r

Post by z1r »

Pretty sure it was ZDP, I didn't fondle it since I already have one. But, owning one, you can see my temptation to get another.

Very happy to hear that a LW version is in the works. I will definitely be waiting!