Caly 3.5 Light Weight: Any News?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Caly 3.5 Light Weight: Any News?

Post by sal »

We don't know yet.

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

A little voice in the back of my head was wishing for Reveal 7, but I understand these things take time.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

So I just discovered and read through the thread. I am very happy to see new life in the Calypso line. I have owned one of every Calypso design. The crown jewel of my collection is an original Calypso fully serrated with a perfectly straight blade.

I know I have said the Caly 3.5 was the perfect knife. That there was nothing I would change. It also may be too late to throw in my opinions. But if we are talking about changing it. As someone who has had a Caly of some kind in their pocket for the last 10 years. One thing that I missed on the Caly 3 and Caly 3.5 was the spine relief of the Calypso and Jr. It fits into the light weight design, it goes back to its roots, and it improves the already outstanding slicing power of this blade.

This was the second biggest desire of my 3.5. The first being that it could be a compression lock. I prefer open construction for easy cleaning, but don't like a liner lock.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Has the steel been decided upon? Would love to see this in LC or other rust resistance stainless. I"ve slowed down on my Spydies but this will be a must have.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I just discovered the Caly line and am curious about this. I have Caly 3 in Hapy40 and the Caly 3.5 in ZDP. I don't find either to be heavy knives at all. So other than the option to have fun with different steels I'm not super excited about this. What am I missing? With they light weight be like the FRN UKPK? Linerless G10 like on the original UKPK? I love those designs and they were the "gateway" if you will for me into the Caly line.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:52 am
I just discovered the Caly line and am curious about this. I have Caly 3 in Hapy40 and the Caly 3.5 in ZDP. I don't find either to be heavy knives at all. So other than the option to have fun with different steels I'm not super excited about this. What am I missing? With they light weight be like the FRN UKPK? Linerless G10 like on the original UKPK? I love those designs and they were the "gateway" if you will for me into the Caly line.
Caly 3 & 3.5 aren't what I'd call heavy knives either but they're also not what I'd consider to be light weight. The full liners and steel back spacer definitely give them a little heft. I would hope they've found a way to minimize the weight considerably. Otherwise it'll just be a FRN Caly 3.5. Similar to the how the Chaparral LW & Sage LWs aren't much lighter than their counterparts. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'll like the Caly 3.5 LW as much as I like those other LW models
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bemo wrote:

True and good observation! "Lightweight" with Spyderco ofen times means "FRN (FRCP)" but not always necessarely substantially less weight (yet sometimes indeed, see Para 3 / Para 3 LW for example).

If we´re talking linerless FRN, that would lower the weight noticeably indeed (see for Example: FRN ffg Endura WITH liners 3,4 oz, FRN ffg Pac Salt WITHOUT liners 2.5 oz)

What "lightweight" also can mean (besides more or less reduced weight): More affordable. As far as I know: If an FRN knife sells well, so that the costs of the FRN molds pay themselves off at some point, FRN knives can be made with less production costs and sold for a lower price
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Well perhaps by going the LW Native route it will make it more cost effective for this model to have different colors and steels. Perhaps it will attract a whole new group of users to this great design. Of course this doesn't bode well for my bank account. I already have 5 different models of the LW Native 5 just because of the great design and variety of steels available at an accessible price point.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bemo wrote:
I see your point about the term "lightweight", but it is considerable when you look at it in terms of percentages. As Wartstein mentioned above, a linerless FRN version of the LW Caly 3.5 could be upwards of 25% lighter than it's G-10 counterpart. Assuming Spyderco are targeting an appropriate price point to meet a sales quantity and pay for the handle molds, we should see a very affordable alternative to the steel liner versions.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Does lightweight mean either nested scales or linerless scales? Or does it refer only to the frn weight reduction over g-10? Or both?
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Nested liners*
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Meadowlark wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:11 pm
Does lightweight mean either nested scales or linerless scales? Or does it refer only to the frn weight reduction over g-10? Or both?
Welcome! Total guess, but I think nested liners and FRN.
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

looking forward to this. the slipjoint variants get their fair share of love, I bet an FRN Caly would sell just as well.

Superblue like the 2010-ish sprint would be icing on the cake!
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Is the Caly 3.5 LW still going to to be made in Japan by the original maker? I’d really like to see the initial release in something besides VG-10 (or any of the S??Vs). CTS-XHP would be great, or 20CV/M390/204P. MagnaCut would be a dream come true, but, I think, highly unlikely.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Catamount,

The answer to your question is still not known. Many issues involved including quantities, capacity and delivery have not yet been determined.

sal
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Is it decided the liners will be nested as opposed to full skeletonized?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Let us know what you can, when you can. I've always loved the really long blade vs handle in this particular model, and a LW would be great. If it's a hit, maybe there could even be a Salt down the road, but I say that about every knife.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

I think full skeletonized liners with frn scales would be great and still qualify the model as lightweight.

Any agreement?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:04 pm
The design is finished. The prototype has been made. We feel the market demand is large enough to create the model. I believe it will happen. All things in time.

sal

I'm a part of that market! Take my money!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

DMgangl wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:06 pm
...I know I have said the Caly 3.5 was the perfect knife. That there was nothing I would change. It also may be too late to throw in my opinions. But if we are talking about changing it. As someone who has had a Caly of some kind in their pocket for the last 10 years. One thing that I missed on the Caly 3 and Caly 3.5 was the spine relief of the Calypso and Jr. It fits into the light weight design, it goes back to its roots, and it improves the already outstanding slicing power of this blade...

Interesting observations. Like you, I'm a Caly diehard and still regularly carry a C3 in VG10, even though I have many newer Spydercos in better steels. (Just cut my thumb on a C3.5 yesterday, sad to say.) Putting a Caly Jr-style spine relief on a Caly 3 is an interesting idea. It would making pressing down on the spine with the thumb somewhat uncomfortable, but on the other hand, would make it more a piercing blade and perhaps marginally (measurably?) lighter.

Wouldn't a competent knifemaker be able to modify, and put a spine relief on any non-relieved-spine blade?

The other Caly Jr / Caly difference to consider, is that the Caly Jr has a "straighter curve" to the edge, which I like. The C3 and C3.5 have a bit more belly (but not much). The Caly Jr is less "leaf shaped" and more "arrowhead shaped."

I agree with you, that the C3 and C3.5 are the knives closest to perfection that I've ever handled. Except for the vertical blade rock on some. I really appreciate their slim comfortable handles, their disappearing act in the pocket, their great edge:overall-length ratio, and their small-belly blades that handle somewhat like a wharnie, but with an acute tip.

The Calys have reasonably small ricasso areas, which I also appreciate. If I were designing my own idealized Caly, it would be a LOT like a C3.5 but with the choil about 1/4 into the blade and 3/4 into the handle, for a bit more edge in an already efficient package. Would like to see the Chap's stop pin integrated into the Caly design, so those blades don't budge when open. But these are very small niggles I have for an excellent design.