Shaman Swap!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Shaman Swap!

Post by curlyhairedboy »

With the HRC testing complete on both shaman models I own, I wanted to conduct a blade swap for a few reasons.

1) I'd love to put s90v to hard daily use, but the CF scales would rapidly get chewed up by nails/screws/keys in my jeans pocket. The G10 on the original shaman (my EDC) is already scuffed up.

2) The incredibly well finished CF scales might pair well the softer stonewashed finish of the s30v blade. The s90v blade has jimping and a Spyder hole that feels more aggressive.

So I went ahead and swapped blades! The s30v stonewashed blade does match very well with the CF scales. Likewise, the aggressive s90v works well in the hand with the grippier g10.

Now I'll be able to put this s90v blade through some real work in the garage. For now, I'll keep the s30v for nicer occasions :)

And if you're worried about fit and finish, both knives had perfect centering and drop shut action before the swap.

They also have perfect centering and drop shut action after the swap. These are an absolute credit to the Golden crew!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Pelagic

Re: Shaman Swap!

Post by Pelagic »

Nice swap. Good to put that s90v through use.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

One of these days my custom scales will be finished and I'll swap out the Jade scales. I was thinking I'd put them in the S30V, but the black g-10 has grown on me. Probably just save the Jade scales for a rainy day.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:29 pm
Nice swap. Good to put that s90v through use.
It's been really good so far with some yard work and brush trimming this weekend.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Sweet. Sounds good. Share some photos when you can?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Very nice. Thanks!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

The stonewashed S30V and carbon fiber looks so classy.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:48 pm
One of these days my custom scales will be finished and I'll swap out the Jade scales. I was thinking I'd put them in the S30V, but the black g-10 has grown on me. Probably just save the Jade scales for a rainy day.
What are your custom scales made out of? Can you say by who? I like the smooth G10 factory scales more than i thought i would, but still have been poking around aftermarket scales to see what's available. Thanks in advance.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Shepardcc on instaG has been working on some Python Micarta scales for me. Lanyard Hole and extra clip holes deleted. His backlog is about 15 weeks though. Mine will hopefully be ready this month or next. I ordered about 15 weeks ago.

Should look something like this....
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm also looking into custom scales. Did a bit of CAD modeling over the weekend based on caliper measurements, but I'm sure these are gonna need tweaks to actually fit.
Screenshot_20190713-160031_Onshape.jpg
unknown-2.png