Compression Lock questions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zippifish

Re: Compression Lock questions?

Post by zippifish »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:08 pm
I like almost everything about the compression lock. It's light, adaptable to a variety of designs, very strong in the open position and uses minimal parts.

But, the one issue I have with it, is it does not keep a knife securely closed for me. It was enough of an issue that I sold my compression lock knives and stopped buying them.

Which is a shame, because I planned to EDC an ATR 2 when they were brought back.

There are a ton of designs I'd love to try out, but I value my health and safety over that.
I only have experience with one comp lock knife (Para 3) and there is no way the blade on that knife will come open unless you are trying to deploy the blade. I can take the knife by the handle with blade closed horizontal to the ground and shake the knife as forcefully as I can trying to use momentum and gravity to force the blade open and it will not move. The action on it is as slick as a greased pig and it will drop shut when the comp lock is pressed so it's working as it should, maybe I just got lucky and got a good one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For me the compression lock is a great idea technically and an ingenious design, no doubt.

Still, it´s not my favorite:

- Hard to engage with gloves and/or really wet, cold fingers
- In some models (Kapara the only one I had of those) the lock tab is a bit small and too recessed for thicker fingers
- Can open in the pocket / no bias towards closing (so not "pulled" in the closed position by a spring like the backlock)
- In one handed operation the knife is held just in a quite unsafe (concerning dropping the knife) "pinch grip"
- Requires a certain lock interface I assume, so constructing a REALLY thin bladestock / knife is problematic (I guess)
- Open back of the handle makes the grip more uncomfortable than a closed back (the closed back of for example a backlock digs into the palm less)
- Not really ambidextrious

It´s pros:

- Very easy to "learn", so flicking and one handed operation can be done by people who have little experience with folders and/or don´t want to "practice" a bit
- Open back makes cleaning easier
- Fun to "fidget" without having much dexterity and finger strength
- Knife CAN be closed without fingers in the blade path, though as said only in a "dropping-friendly" pinch grip

So, concluding: I prefer both backlock and CBBL over the comp.lock, both can do everything the comp.lock can at least as fast and a bit more safely.

Imho the comp.lock is good for smaller, more "office" knives (by that I mean knives that are not used in too harsh conditions): It´s fine on the Sage for example, but the Shaman on the other hand should be a backlock no doubt. It´s meant to be and looks like a hard use knife, and I can see a big and beefy craftsman with thick fingers, wearing gloves in the cold and doing some hard work run into problems with a comp.lock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

These are some great and informative insights into the compression lock , thank you. After reading some of the posts that give negative reviews (along with positive reviews ofcourse), my "morale" level for the compression lock has dropped slightly. Now, my intent for use of, say, the Spyderco Sage 5 Light Weight, will not be to abuse it, or overuse it. I would use it for an everyday carry and utilitarian cutting tool. Do you think as long as one does not go overboard with it, like stabbing steel car doors or throwing it at rock maple wood targets, the compression lock on a knife of that size range should hold up and one won't slice off a finger with it?

Wartstein my friend, you pretty much summed it up for me. This knife will not be as "outdoor hard user friendly" as the Endura, or, Pacific Salt, but, for any lesser cutting purposes, it will be fine. And the cosmetics of it's design are excellent. Thank you for "boosting my morale" on the compression lock.
vivi

Post by vivi »

SEF,

I've never hears of anyone having issues with a compression lock keeping a knife safely locked open, even during hard use. I put a DLC Para 2 through **** and the comp lock was 100% safe and reliable at staying locked in the open position.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had a Para 2 that I screwed up doing acid etching on it and created a TON of blade play, so much that I could completely tighten down the pivot screws and there was still play, and the lock bar was slammed all the way over against the other liner. The blade jiggled in every direction but still couldn't be forced closed. Locks like this become more safe the further they wear into the blade tang, the later the lock up the more the lock bar needs to travel to unlock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you, Vivi and David, for that, it assures me of the durability and safety of this lock.

Do you think the upcoming Caly 3.5 Light Weight will be a Lock Back or use the Compression Lock?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:26 pm

Wartstein my friend, you pretty much summed it up for me. This knife will not be as "outdoor hard user friendly" as the Endura, or, Pacific Salt, but, for any lesser cutting purposes, it will be fine. And the cosmetics of it's design are excellent. Thank you for "boosting my morale" on the compression lock.
SEF, I'm a bit afraid I did not make my point exactly: In no way I meant a comp.lock knife is only or better suited for "lesser cutting purposes"!! It's a very strong and reliable lock when the blade is locked open, no doubt!!

I just meant that stylewise and just for my personal liking a big and beefy harduse-knife, that one would maybe use with gloves in the cold, is better suited by a backlock. And that's ONLY for the ease of engaging the lock in that specific conditions, NOT for the actual use of the knife. Don't think a Shaman and its comp.lock could ever fail on you!!

It's also mostly personal preference. A bit like one might prefer a leaf shaped blade or a drop point, aestheticwise I like the ingenious and sophisticated comp.lock. more on smaller knives than on big, heavy, beater-tools...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderEdgeForever

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:07 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

SEF, I'm a bit afraid I did not make my point exactly: In no way I meant a comp.lock knife is only or better suited for "lesser cutting purposes"!! It's a very strong and reliable lock when the blade is locked open, no doubt!!

I just meant that stylewise and just for my personal liking a big and beefy harduse-knife, that one would maybe use with gloves in the cold, is better suited by a backlock. And that's ONLY for the ease of engaging the lock in that specific conditions, NOT for the actual use of the knife. Don't think a Shaman and its comp.lock could ever fail on you!!

It's also mostly personal preference. A bit like one might prefer a leaf shaped blade or a drop point, aestheticwise I like the ingenious and sophisticated comp.lock. more on smaller knives than on big, heavy, beater-tools...
Wartstein my friend, I sincerely thank you for clarifying this for me, it helps greatly and as I said in the other post above, you and others have "reassured" me about the greatness of this locking mechanism! :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zippfish,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:04 am
Hi Zippfish,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the comp lock because it is strong and easy to use. It also creates a knife with open construction which is lightweight and won’t foul up with dirt, sand and pocket lint. Some folks like that it doesn’t require you to put your fingers in the path of the closing blade. It is also fun to fidget with.

It’s weak points are that it lacks a bias towards closing and it isn’t ambidextrous. Some have an issue with the lock pinching them when opening it. I have only experienced that on one knife.

The back lock and comp lock are probably my two favorite locks but I think I prefer the back lock. I appreciate the bias towards closing and I aesthetically enjoy the look of a back lock and it’s closed construction.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:41 pm
SEF,

I've never hears of anyone having issues with a compression lock keeping a knife safely locked open, even during hard use. I put a DLC Para 2 through **** and the comp lock was 100% safe and reliable at staying locked in the open position.
Vivi, I just wanted to point another forum member (in tve "Endela thread" to your in the signature linked video "how to close backlocks one handed", but it's not the vid demonstrating several different methods... could you link THAT vid once more?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:20 pm
Vivi wrote:
SEF,

Vivi, I just wanted to point another forum member (in tve "Endela thread" to your in the signature linked video "how to close backlocks one handed", but it's not the vid demonstrating several different methods... could you link THAT vid once more?
I'll make a new one and post it there. I don't have the link to the old one anymore.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:52 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:20 pm
Vivi wrote:
SEF,

I'll make a new one and post it there. I don't have the link to the old one anymore.
Thanks, that´s nice of you!
I´ll have to get into that streamable-thing myself, I know... But tbh, I have never even made any video (of any kind, not only mobile phone), let alone POSTING one... ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:01 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:07 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wartstein my friend, I sincerely thank you for clarifying this for me, it helps greatly and as I said in the other post above, you and others have "reassured" me about the greatness of this locking mechanism! :)
SEF, I´m glad if I could clarify.

But to be honest: I don´t think you really need reassurance by others concerning locks or knives! From what I noticed, you are a really quite experienced and seasoned knife-user yourself, probably more so than I am, so I am sure you have your own strong opinions, right?... ;)

As for the compression lock: I´d really like to emphasize once more: Just that I personally prefer backlock and CBBL, does not make me think in any way, the comp.lock would be not a good one!! It certainly IS, just one prove for that beeing that so many people generally and even more so on this forum totally love it.
And I myself really want a Kapara once more (had to sell mine :( ) and a Shaman, both comp. lock knives.

We should never forget: Exactly BECAUSE most people on this forum like Spyderco knives so much and are so deeply into them, we´re discussing quite tiny details frequently, and it sometimes may sound as if we really dislike some features or designs.... when in fact we only like them JUST a little less than other options, but STILL LIKE THEM.