Compression Lock questions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Compression Lock questions?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Regarding the Compression Lock mechanism for folders, what are some of the upsides and downsides to this? Several past, present, and future Spyderco knives utilize the Compression Lock (such as the upcoming Sage 5 Lightweight). What are features about it you like, vs features you dislike? I have noticed some on the forum prefer the traditional back-lock mechanism over the Compression lock. Is this because in your experience or opinion the back lock is more reliable and safer or is it because the compression lock gets in the way of a specific method of opening and closing said knife?
Evil D

Re: Compression Lock questions?

Post by Evil D »

I'd be ok if it got a larger detent ball and deeper hole to increase the retention, but that may also require a larger gap between the blade and liners so it may not be realistic. Stronger detent is really the only thing I'd want more of but that alone doesn't stop me from carrying it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Personally I prefer the compression lock so much, I almost don't use or buy any knife without it anymore. For me it's not necessarily about speed of closing (which it has been argued recently, that it's not any faster than the lock back specifically. And I think that is actually fairly accurate when your taking about starting from a cutting grip).

What I like about it, is the "ease" of closing. The PM2 spoiled me to start. Pressing the lock mechanism and watching the blade effortlessly close itself almost like an auto, was my awakening. No longer did I have to press hard on a lock bar, only to then have to flip the knife around and manipulate the blade closed, which I have cut myself doing a few times. And while it's not the end of the world, I'd certainly prefer to avoid it. There is almost zero chance of me being cut whilst closing a compression lock knife, and it doesn't take hardly any effort or manipulation to operate, and I love that.

Now that I've gotten so accustomed to it, I don't even mind the 2 move method for some of compression locks that I can't seem to get to drop shut, like the Caribbean. Still very smooth and easy, with a near zero risk of being cut. Not many other locks can claim that combo. Every lock back in the world requires more finger strength, and manipulating during closing. (Assuming one handed closing obviously)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:02 am
I'd be ok if it got a larger detent ball and deeper hole to increase the retention, but that may also require a larger gap between the blade and liners so it may not be realistic. Stronger detent is really the only thing I'd want more of but that alone doesn't stop me from carrying it.
This
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It's almost a self cleaning mechanism and if not it's open so it can be cleaned easily. I agree its biggest downfall is probably detent. Especially for larger blades which is why they designed a self close mechanism for the szabo folder. I think it's one of spyderco's best designs. I carry spyderco backlocks daily but that's only because they don't make every knife with a comp lock. Getting sand out of backlocks is interesting though. I really like how they incorporated the comp lock into the autonomy and autonomy 2. They left a space for the push button to pass through the handle. This means that sand can't get behind it to stop its function. It'll just push it out. I've been to the beach with the autonomy 2 and got it very sandy. I didn't even take it apart to clean it. Just rinsed it with fresh water and it worked. I've found the salt knives tend to hold sand in the lockbar area. I usually take them apart after the beach. No experience with a carribean yet but I think it's the perfect use of the comp lock. A nice rust proof knife that's easily cleaned out. A minor issue mentioned is the pinch from comp locks. I've felt it a few times but it's not that bad. It also can be put in really tight spaces allowing interesting blade shapes to be used.

It doesn't hold up well to throwing in my experience. Yeah I throw folders sometimes. My native 5 lw has never had the lock kick out from throwing. I had a para 2 that actually unlocked when it hit a tree. It didn't stick so the impact disengaged the lock. I think that's the only time I've had a comp lock disengage during "use". People also complain it's not ambi but I can use a comp lock with either hand.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Definitely my favorite lock - combines strength, durability, and safety - plus, it's fidget-friendly
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I have to agree (yet again lol) with much if what has been said above. The comp lock is easy to use, safe, and strong. I also can use it ambidextrously if I need to; it's not really any more awkward than manipulating any other switch or etc with my left hand. I also agree about the detent; a couple of my PM2's feel just a tad light on the detent, but I hasten to add I've never experienced any unintended openings or whatever. Mind you, nothing about my appreciation of compression locks should be taken to mean I have anything at all against back locks or liner locks etc, I guess while I'm fond of those locks I'm extra fond of compression locks ;)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Evil D wrote:
That's a good point; do you think it would be possible to achieve the stronger detent effect we're contemplating by simply increasing the size in AREA of the detent ball, that is, not making it any "taller" but just "wider" (if that makes any sense lol)? Maybe not even by very much, just enough to give the recess a little more to grab onto? Just a thought, I'm by no means an engineer :rolleyes:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

If you find yourself opening and closing your knife without cutting anything frequently, you'll probably love the compression lock. It's super quick to flick open and closed again. If I'm actually gripping the knife for use though, I find the back lock less awkward to close and the bias towards being closed is a nice bonus in pocket.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

It flicks and pinches almost every time I open my knife. Some models are horrible.
I hate that I have to jocky the grip out to my finger tips to engage the small lock well. It's almost inoperable with gloves.

This lock is strictly for blade flickers. Reducing their knives to fidget toys.
ferider

Post by ferider »

For the normal Spyderco compression lock that I've used (PM[23] and Caribbean), there is a really thin margin between no blade play, good action, and no lock stick. Good action meaning no bounce, so the detent has to be strong enough - but if you strengthen it too much you get stick. The PM3 is particularly finicky due to the floating stop pin and single scale screw. Just grab it too hard and the action might change.

Now, the Smock is something else. Just perfect. I love that implementation, with the second detent and the closing button.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:46 am
^ This is incorrect and a dumb statement IMO. First, let me say that I like all the different locks and really have no preference. What I do like about the comp lock is that I can open the blade, use the knife, close the blade with ease and slide it back in my pocket. I can do that regardless of lock type but I find the comp lock a little easier than most. I also don't get pinched by comp locks and I rarely fidget with my knives anymore.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:53 am
Evil D wrote:
That's a good point; do you think it would be possible to achieve the stronger detent effect we're contemplating by simply increasing the size in AREA of the detent ball, that is, not making it any "taller" but just "wider" (if that makes any sense lol)? Maybe not even by very much, just enough to give the recess a little more to grab onto? Just a thought, I'm by no means an engineer :rolleyes:

The depth of the ball makes a big difference regardless of the size, if the ball catches in the hole from the very side of the ball it'll have more traction into the hole. The mods that people are doing where they open up the hole allows the ball to seat further in. The problem is you also need the ball seated into the lock bar a certain amount or it'll pop out, so there's a balance there that is tricky to dial in. Lock bar tension is another factor...my Southard's detent is so strong it's actually difficult to open via thumb hole. That's probably a combination of ball recess amount and the frame lock bar just being stronger than what we get in a compression lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ric

Post by Ric »

Like:
opens with a middlefinger flick
Or thumb
Or spydieflick
Great action and reliable
Save at closing (no finger in the path of the blade)
Easy 1 hand operation

Dislike:
Tricky to close left handed
Sometimes the finger is in the way at closing
No much space to actuate the CL (with gloves)
Smaller blade are hard to close without wrist flick

Overall i love it and it's my favorite lock by far.
I think everybody should give it a try.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me, the negatives would be that it's a handed lock (wrong handed for me) with no self close, limited blade retention when closed and little or no resistance to swinging freely. Of course those who like "flickable" folders would consider those last two to be pluses. Only positive I can see is that it's inherently stronger than a Walker style liner lock with a locking liner of the same thickness.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I had a thought the other day, when I was thinking about trying a left handed pm2, it kind of occured to me. Who says that it is left or right, I would prefer to use my thumb on my right hand and would require a so called left handed blade. Why is the lock on the finger side of the scale for right handed.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:31 am
Like:
opens with a middlefinger flick
Or thumb
Or spydieflick
Great action and reliable
Save at closing (no finger in the path of the blade)
Easy 1 hand operation

Dislike:
Tricky to close left handed
Sometimes the finger is in the way at closing
No much space to actuate the CL (with gloves)
Smaller blade are hard to close without wrist flick

Overall i love it and it's my favorite lock by far.
I think everybody should give it a try.
No intention to bash the comp.lock, but a backlock has absolutely all the Pro's listed, but non of the con's... just saying.. (though both really don't have to have a fingerbin the way when closing)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I have minor lock stick issues with mine. Mostly on my G10 para 3. Nothing crazy, but I hear this is pretty common. Doesn't bother me much...
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like almost everything about the compression lock. It's light, adaptable to a variety of designs, very strong in the open position and uses minimal parts.

But, the one issue I have with it, is it does not keep a knife securely closed for me. It was enough of an issue that I sold my compression lock knives and stopped buying them.

Which is a shame, because I planned to EDC an ATR 2 when they were brought back.

There are a ton of designs I'd love to try out, but I value my health and safety over that.
:unicorn
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:46 am
It flicks and pinches almost every time I open my knife. Some models are horrible.
I hate that I have to jocky the grip out to my finger tips to engage the small lock well. It's almost inoperable with gloves.

I've never experienced this "pinch" people complain about.

What I love about the compression lock is the ergos. With a liner lock or integral lock, you almost always have a hollowed out spot at your index finger so you can access the lock. Some models are very bad with that and it ruins the grip for me. The compression lock puts that hollowed out spot at the top and at a place where you never feel it. I've never used my compression lock knife as a "fidget toy". In fact, I never want to open it when I don't need to because I don't want to flatten the detent ball prematurely. So saying "this lock is strictly for blade flickers" is demonstrably false.