Bulk Pre-Order

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
standy99

Re: Bulk Pre-Order

Post by standy99 »

I’m in on M4 anything chartreuse
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have a hard time seeing this working. A lot of valid points brought up already. Getting enough people to agree on a model and material combination is one thing, but I feel like getting people to wait the amount of time it requires to get a knife into production without complaining would probably be the hardest part. Especially if they've put up the full cost of the knife. IIRC, dealers submit orders for exclusives at least a year before they plan to see it in production.

Spyderco literally changed the structure of their catalogs because too many people were complaining about waiting for a prototype they saw in a catalog, let alone a knife they paid for. We've all seen how some people act when their $5 pre-order hasn't been released yet. :rolleyes:
-Nick :bug-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

First, the knife would probably have to be Golden model.
Second, there really are not that many different combinations I think most will be completely opposed to (Salt, Cru-carta, M390/g10). I think most on here have pretty good taste in materials and I believe we could come together.

If it was a a way to ensure you would basically get a sprint run,that you might actually have a choice in, I’m willing to wait a year or so. Also, I can spend the time looking and paying for other knives I want, and not constantly reserving X amount of money for a sprint or exclusive that pops up.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:08 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:35 pm
Who gets to collect the money and place the order? What happens if that person opts to take the money and disappear?
Make them a regular dealer. Maybe DLT, BladeHQ or Knifeworks. If they had 500 of them pre-sold, they'd almost certainly be willing to take a chance on the rest of the MOQ.
Why not just bug your favorite dealer for an exclusive? That's what you are really talking about now, not an actual group buy.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Let's get a thor Damascus chief going with G10 to keep cost down and put Damasteel in everyone's hands.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Such an approach would not have to be limited to "only" steel, handle material or color... what about BLADE STYLE or LENGTH or THICKNESS?

For example I think I´ve read several times that people would like a PM2 featuring a longer blade (so extending all the way to the end of the handle when closed and not leaving a "gap"). I personally would like to see that exact same thing in the new Endela (its blade could be about 8mm longer and still fit into the handle).
I totally get that in the "mass-models" the blade length has to match certain legal restrictions (so for example stay under 3.00" or 3.5""), but to produce just one sample with longer blades should not be too hard to do (other than modifying a HANDLE, especially the molds for an FRN handle, lengthen the BLADE a bit should not be a too big deal or too costly).

You could extend that to blade STYLES or STOCK: Like the Tanto PM2 Eric shows in a vid (though I personally am not interested in that specific model), or a 2mm instead of 3mm stock Stretch and so on...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Another blade shape would be nice as well. Something like a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe on a model they are usually not on. Or, maybe a modified wharncliffe on an existing model.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm confused. Are we back to wishing for a Spyderco Custom Shop for the umpteenth time?
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Interested. Depending on the knife.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Pick one of the 3 most popular knives, make it out of one of the 3 most popular steels. Pick an inoffensive color and put a subtle( not big and gaudy) spyderco forum logo on it. I really can't see something like this being a flop.
Personally I'd love to see this come to pass as a Military but I know that's a bigger knife than many can carry or have use for. No problem with a Manix 2. a Native 5 or a PM 2. A para 3 would also go well but just not for me.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

VashHash wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:28 pm
Let's get a thor Damascus chief going with G10 to keep cost down and put Damasteel in everyone's hands.
This sounds like fun :D
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What about the PM Tanto that Eric Glesser showed?
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

amateur blacksmith wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:47 am
Pick one of the 3 most popular knives, make it out of one of the 3 most popular steels. Pick an inoffensive color and put a subtle( not big and gaudy) spyderco forum logo on it. I really can't see something like this being a flop.
Personally I'd love to see this come to pass as a Military but I know that's a bigger knife than many can carry or have use for. No problem with a Manix 2. a Native 5 or a PM 2. A para 3 would also go well but just not for me.
Also, with a pre payment Spyderco knows exactly how many to make with no over stock.
Dane

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I guess I’m not that imaginative. Cruwear or M4 or rex45 and micarta para3 or pm2 would be a homerun for me.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:42 pm
I'm confused. Are we back to wishing for a Spyderco Custom Shop for the umpteenth time?
:D

M4 DLC or 204P, G10, Shaman, yep sounds good...
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Sounds like you are describing an Exclusive. Just a matter of finding out the minimum quantity and fronting a bunch of money and you should be on the air. Do a Manix 2 in Rex 45 and I'll buy one.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

This DLT PM2 issue is another reason why I recommended doing something like this. We don’t all have to waste our time trying to get a knife we could pre order, and everyone who wants one can get one.
Dane