Para 3 love??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Para 3 love??

Post by jdw »

I know that this is a really unpopular opinion but I still don't understand all of the love for the Para 3? It cramps and hurts my fingers to really use, it has a poorly designed clip, and now I own three on sheer hype. Can someone please help me understand what is so great about this knife? I understand that it is legal carry size for a lot of places but so is a Dragonfly. Thanks folks.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
TkoK83Spy

Re: Para 3 love??

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Should only take 1 for you to realize it's not for you! Hype doesn't change the knife, unless you have one that is an LW and wanted to try it compared to the G10 version.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
jdw

Post by jdw »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:30 pm
Should only take 1 for you to realize it's not for you! Hype doesn't change the knife, unless you have one that is an LW and wanted to try it compared to the G10 version.
Yep. I sold a Cruwear the first time around. I then bought a lw, a S35VN, and a s110 version to make sure that I didn't just not like the steel and it really was the ergos. I sold the Cruwear version on a hunch even though I love the steel and I think that was probably a good call at this point.
Last edited by jdw on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Wovoka
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

jdw wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:28 pm
and now I own three on sheer hype.

So many good Spyderco models get overlooked and eventually discontinued because people feel the need to buy the "hype" models instead of another model they may really like.
jdw

Post by jdw »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:40 pm
jdw wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:28 pm
and now I own three on sheer hype.

So many good Spyderco models get overlooked and eventually discontinued because people feel the need to buy the "hype" models instead of another model they may really like.
There is a lot of truth in that.
--Wovoka
jacala

Post by jacala »

I've got short stubby thumbs--the Para 3 fits me perfectly.Horses for courses.
inversion

Post by inversion »

My EDCs range in size from the Military to the Dragonfly, including three Para 3s that I rotate in. For me, I can't say I love one knife more than another. I like them all for different reasons. It just depends on what kind of mood I'm in. (Today, it's the Domino 204P Blue G-10 in my pocket.)

I might feel differently if the knives were seeing hard use. But they don't, so I value fidget-factor above absolute ergos.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I love my para 3s. They work fine for me, and the clip is just fine as well. Not everything has to be deep carry. I do agree the lanyard hole is ridiculously oversized, especially since I'll never use it! But other than that it's an almost perfect knife imo.

Not every knife will satisfy every user.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Don’t sweat it, JDW.
If it doesn’t work for you, just know that and move on. There are a number of regularly loved models that just don’t work for me (dragonfly & native). Don’t waste your time and money on these. It won’t change or get any better. Just be happy for the rest of us when a cool sprint comes out and save your money for the next one that works for you.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sell your Para 3s and save the money for spydies that you like. New Reveal coming out soon... Could have something listed there that is more to your liking. Great thing about spyderco is the sheer number of models both past and present :) :spyder:
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

The Para3 fits perfectly for my size hands. Liked it so much, that I have it in 4 steels( REX45, S90V, CPM M4, and CPM 4V). The most important thing is that you go for what you want and what works for you.
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
anycal

Post by anycal »

Also not for me, but that's OK. I do have one, and do use it occasionally. But then I always come back to it being very similar in size and carry to PM2, and I'd rather have the larger knife. There are other <3" knives that work better for me.

Now, my best friend got my original S30V Para 3. He loves it, and uses it all the time. I know because I have to sharpen it all the time. Tried to turn him to different knives over the years with no luck. Even gave him the new LW Para 3 recently. I was expecting little more excitement from him... :confused:
Peter
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yeah as others have said, if it's not for you it's not for you, some people might have smaller hands, or just appreciate the smaller size re carry, or the geometry, or etc etc. As the millennial generation likes to say, live your best life ;)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve let many interesting knives pass because I couldn’t hold them first, and I don’t like to buy to try if I can avoid it. If you don’t love them, send them on! Gotta be something for you to love in Spyderco’s lineup!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I am in agreement. I do not like the Para 3, not one bit. It is uncomfortable, has one grip and is too small, while also being too big. The only pro I can say about it, is that the action was perfect.

I owned an M390 and 4V, both found there way to other people. My Caribbean is 10x better, and not THAT much bigger overall. 0.5 inches longer, closed. 0.8 oz heavier.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think it's pretty easy to understand that not all models are for everyone. If something doesn't work for you just move on to something that does. The Para 3 and other models in that general size (Native 5, Sage, Delica, etc) fit my hand fine and I don't always want to carry a bigger blade. So they work out well for me. I have plenty of bigger models too (PM2, Manix 2, GB, Sliverax, Kapara, Advocate, etc) and I appreciate them as well. Or I go small and carry a Dragonfly or Chaparral. It's great that Spyderco makes something for everyone.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I couldn’t fall in love with the Para 3 either, but thank god Spyderco makes so many different knives!
Josh
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

I did fall in love. And after a while I noticed I stopped carrying them. In that package the PM2 suits me better. When I want to carry a short blade I reach for my urban or ukpk. Am selling the para 3's one by one. Started with 7 now down to 5. I think I will keep one just for... you know...comparison maybe? Can't decide which steel to hold on to. S90V, 52100, maxamet, M390 or 204p. Choices, choices....
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Danvp wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:06 am
I did fall in love. And after a while I noticed I stopped carrying them. In that package the PM2 suits me better. When I want to carry a short blade I reach for my urban or ukpk. Am selling the para 3's one by one. Started with 7 now down to 5. I think I will keep one just for... you know...comparison maybe? Can't decide which steel to hold on to. S90V, 52100, maxamet, M390 or 204p. Choices, choices....
Wow, I feel like we're the same person! I also had 7 at one time, and am now down to 3. Just like you, when I want to use a shorter blade...I prefer a smaller knife overall, so like you...I'll grab the Urban, UKPK or Dragonfly most of the time. Today I've got a decent amount of work to do so I went with the Para 3 LW just because I want the stout blade of the Para 3. Pretty safe to say I'll always have 1 or 2 of these, there just not the holy grail I once thought they were. Mainly because I was so hyped up on all those sprints/exclusives that came out last year.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Could be wrong, but prior to the Para 3 and Lil' Native, there wasn't much(any?) knives smaller than the PM2 that were USA made compression locks. The PM2 was my only knife for years but like a lot of people I wanted a smaller package. I think maybe when the Lil' Native came out everyone waited for sprints/exclusives. I think the hype train is there but because we all waited and didn't buy the production versions there may be an illusion that the market isn't there. So no sprints/exclusives in the Lil' Native yet.

For now I'll keep riding the Para 3 hype train. But I also have my ticket for the Lil' Native sprint/exclusive train if it ever comes.

If the Native ever get's compression lock I might sell all my Para 3/Lil' Natives, sit on the tracks and sacrifice my body to the compression lock Native 5 hype train.