Para 3 love??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
deepdiver17

Re: Para 3 love??

Post by deepdiver17 »

eRoc wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:10 am
Could be wrong, but prior to the Para 3 and Lil' Native, there wasn't much(any?) knives smaller than the PM2 that were USA made compression locks. The PM2 was my only knife for years but like a lot of people I wanted a smaller package.
Im on that same boat, I love the compression lock, but in a professional setting I just felt the PM2 was a bit too big, and on slimmer pants it really shows. the Para3 with a deep carry clip from lynch or mxgear, IMO is great for office/discreet carry. I can see where it gets a bit cramped when flipping open and messing with it, but I got used to it, and I love it. I have the s30v, Blade HQ M-4 and now have a maxamet on the way. Hoping to keep adding to the collection.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Lol. I feel the same way as the OP about the Para 2.

I really have a lot of trouble getting into the Para 2 (the only thing that has turned it around for me is the Aramis scales), and I could never figure out what all the fuss was about.

I like the Para 3 _a lot_ better than the Para 2. I think it's just that we all have unique hands, and they all fit different knives differently. So the best knife for one guy isn't the best for another.

What is it that Sal says? All good, just different?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For me personally, IF I'd want a Para 3 (I don't): Just the lw version.
And IF I'd want a small comp.lock knife in general (I don't... ;) ): I'd skip the Para 3 and wait for the Sage LW no doubt.

And in reality my "small knife spot" is perfectly covered by Delica and Chap LW....

But I gladly join the choir: Great, that Spyderco has knives for almost anyone, and so many seem to enjoy the Para 3! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

For anyone on the fence or maybe have some and not sold on the Para 3, do yourself a favor and try the new LW.

It blows all my G10 models out of the water, and maybe it's because the wire clip?

The only issue I had on my G10 Para 3's is the factory clip, absolutely awful. But, a simple swap to a Lynch or MXG and it makes it a great EDC knife.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I personally think the Para 3 is a great knife. For me, sometimes the appeal of a knife lies in its balance in a number of areas - carryability, edc functionality, ergonomics, steel, corrosion resistance, etc. - Some knives may excel in one category or another, but I find that I gravitate towards knives that are "pretty good" in as many categories as possible. I think that is why the Para 3 is a great knife for me. Sure, it's maybe not the "best" at or in any one category.. but, depending on the configuration, it's pretty d*** good at all of them.

That said, I can definitely understand what jdw is saying here and I see his point completely.. there is just so much subjectivity when it comes to different people, and I think that's ok! Some knives just don't fit your hand as well as others and that really effects your overall perception of them. Doesn't matter how nice the knife is if you can't grip it comfortably.. I feel this way about the Smock. There is a lot of love going around for that knife, but I just can't seem to warm up to it as much as as try because I can't shake the feeling that a thin little tree branch would be more comfortable in my hand. To each their own I guess.. Fortunately, there is something for everyone!

^ and I must second Cscotsss take above on the Para 3 LW. It has seen a lot of pocket time already for me this summer and I don't see that changing. Great all-around edc.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

For me the straight spines of the Military series knives are the biggest factor to liking them. Something about the way the thumb ramp into the straight spine down to the piercing tip works that just makes almost every other design feel a little clunky to use to me.

I think this is because the straight line down to the tip makes it easy for your brain to anticipate where the tip will end up therefore making it feel like an extension of my hand.

That being said regarding the Para 3, I think it's the PM2s ugly little brother... like really it's not nearly as sleek of a knife, and the way it had to be compressed to work like its bigger brother makes it look stubby. Though I find myself carrying a Para 3 more than a PM2 despite not having the same love for it simply because it can to 95% of the things a PM2 can all while being easier and lighter to carry plus when I hand it to people to use it doesn't get stupid comments such as " are you going to skin gators after work with that thing!?"

In my opinion it does require an aftermarket deep carry clip though because the original clip gets me right in the palm of my hand and is a pain. But the new lightweight model fixes this and makes it so easy to carry I forget it's there!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:37 pm
I personally think the Para 3 is a great knife. For me, sometimes the appeal of a knife lies in its balance in a number of areas - carryability, edc functionality, ergonomics, steel, corrosion resistance, etc. - Some knives may excel in one category or another, but I find that I gravitate towards knives that are "pretty good" in as many categories as possible. I think that is why the Para 3 is a great knife for me. Sure, it's maybe not the "best" at or in any one category.. but, depending on the configuration, it's pretty d*** good at all of them.
I totally respect your opinion and I am with you that in such a question a lot of subjectivity is involved!

Still, let me explain why I personally respectfully disagree with some of your points:

- Carryability: I think, for that quite small amount of edge you actually get, you have to carry quite a bulky package, compared to for example Delica, or Sage, let alone Chaparral
- EDC functionality: Again, for carrying such a rather bulky closed knife, there is too little edge for many EDC tasks. Plus, the 3.7 mm bladestock is imho not necessary at all in such a small knife, and lessens its slicing capabilities (Chap 2mm, Delica 2.5mm, Sage 3.0 mm)
- Ergonomics: I admit, I never OWNED a Para 3. But my hand JUST so and so fits on the regular handle of the PM 2, so the Para 3 will certainly be too small for a good 4 finger grip behind the choil. That means, on an actually quite long handle (consider the "hook" at the end!) I HAVE to choke up for a good four finger grip.. don´t like that, when the total handle length in fact WOULD offer enough space for a good 4 finger grip if shaped differently

Again, I totally respect your opinion and am glad, that with the Para 3 Spyderco obviously has made a knife many people enjoy!

My points are just my contribution to the discussion and only my 2 cents of course.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:53 pm
DSH007 wrote:
I totally respect your opinion and I am with you that in such a question a lot of subjectivity is involved!

Still, let me explain why I personally respectfully disagree with some of your points:

- Carryability: I think, for that quite small amount of edge you actually get, you have to carry quite a bulky package, compared to for example Delica, or Sage, let alone Chaparral
- EDC functionality: Again, for carrying such a rather bulky closed knife, there is too little edge for many EDC tasks. Plus, the 3.7 mm bladestock is imho not necessary at all in such a small knife, and lessens its slicing capabilities (Chap 2mm, Delica 2.5mm, Sage 3.0 mm)
- Ergonomics: I admit, I never OWNED a Para 3. But my hand JUST so and so fits on the regular handle of the PM 2, so the Para 3 will certainly be too small for a good 4 finger grip behind the choil. That means, on an actually quite long handle (consider the "hook" at the end!) I HAVE to choke up for a good four finger grip.. don´t like that, when the total handle length in fact WOULD offer enough space for a good 4 finger grip if shaped differently

Again, I totally respect your opinion and am glad, that with the Para 3 Spyderco obviously has made a knife many people enjoy!

My points are just my contribution to the discussion and only my 2 cents of course.
Hey Wartstein! I don’t think there is anything at all wrong with disagreeing with someone else, especially when it comes to knives, and I appreciate that you are able to communicate your opinions respectfully.

After reading your comments, I pulled out a Para 3 and a Delica to compare. (I’ve never handled a Sage so I can’t speak to that particular model, and I consider the Chaparral (great knife!) too small to offer a truly fair comparison to the Para 3.. kind of an apples-to-oranges thing.) A few observations/thoughts:

You are absolutely correct, the Delica does have a narrower overall profile in the pocket, especially at the “hump” of the thumbhole opener. But only slightly.. maybe a few fractions of an inch/centimeter. When laid down next to each other on the non-pocket-clip scale, again yes, the Delica is thinner than the Para 3, but only by maybe half the thickness of a g10 scale. So yes.. technically, the Delica does have a smaller profile, but overall, I’d say they are pretty similarly sized knifes. Yes, it may be “bulkier” than the Delica, but I don’t think the added girth in the Para 3 constitutes “bulkiness” overall. And if it does to some.. well for me, let’s just say I’m not trying to fit my knives into any skinny jeans. In my head, the Para 3 does not occupy an unreasonable amount of space in the pocket and I can carry it comfortably. I do have a deep carry pocket clip on my Para 3 which helps out with this considerably..

Where I must disagree with you is where you state “there is too little edge for many edc tasks.” Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this statement is untrue.. it may very well be the case for you that there is too little edge for your preferences. For me though.. I do not find edge length on the Para 3 to be an issue. Comparing with the Delica..which, correct me if I’m wrong, you seem to insinuate is sufficient for your edc tasks.. the Para 3 has an almost identical sharpened edge length.. in fact, it may beat out the Delica by “just the tip.” (haha, I’m eye-balling these measurements.. not real scientific, I know..). I also do not find that the Para 3’s blade thickness hinders a majority of cutting tasks that I’ve used it for. No, it’s certainly not the longest blade out there, or the sliciest but it is generally more than sufficient for me.

With regard to ergos, I will concede that I do also have trouble getting a good full four finger grip behind the choil on the Para 3. My pinky finger rests kind of on/behind that “hook” you mention. I don’t necessarily find this uncomfortable, but it is not ideal. That said, I’m a fan of choils.. which seems to be another controversial opinion I have, depending on who you ask.. and I find the Para 3 to be quite comfortable, even more so than the Delica, when gripped using the choil.

I guess when it comes down to it, I’m just reiterating my original point. The Para 3 is not necessarily “the best” at any one category, but its overall balance of being “pretty good” in a number of categories is what appeals to me and, I think, is what appeals to so many other users as well. If I know I’m going to need a knife for a specific task, I’ll carry a larger knife, or a smaller knife, or a slicier knife, or a more comfortable knife. But as an all-around edc knife, I can put a Para 3 in my pocket and go about my day knowing that I’ll probably be ok using it for any basic cutting tasks that may come up. When I go on a trip, or on vacation, and don’t have access to my entire collection, there is probably a Para 3 in my pocket for this reason. Or a Native. Or the Brouwer. A well-balanced, "all-around" knife that fills a variety of roles pretty well. I certainly appreciate that kind of balance in a knife and I think it’s pretty awesome that Spyderco offers so many great knives for us to choose from!

When it comes to knives, I don’t think that there are any wrong opinions. Some people just like what they like and dislike what they dislike and nothing anyone says is going to change that (think choils, tip-up vs. tip down, lock preference, Boye dents, scale preference, and on and on..). And of course there is the undeniable subjectivity of it all.. ****, everything I've just written here praising the Para 3 may go right out the window if the person reading it has a different sized hand than mine! How could I possibly tell that person that they are wrong for disliking a knife that they cannot hold comfortably?! If someone disagrees with you, their opinions aren't wrong.. they're just different. And that's ok!

Anyways.. I always try to appreciate different perspectives than my own.. thanks for sharing you thoughts Wartstein, and hopefully I haven't bored you and everyone else to death with mine! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DSH007 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:58 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:53 pm
DSH007 wrote:

Hey Wartstein! I don’t think there is anything at all wrong with disagreeing with someone else, especially when it comes to knives, and I appreciate that you are able to communicate your opinions respectfully.

After reading your comments, I pulled out a Para 3 and a Delica to compare. (I’ve never handled a Sage so I can’t speak to that particular model, and I consider the Chaparral (great knife!) too small to offer a truly fair comparison to the Para 3.. kind of an apples-to-oranges thing.) A few observations/thoughts:

You are absolutely correct, the Delica does have a narrower overall profile in the pocket, especially at the “hump” of the thumbhole opener. But only slightly.. maybe a few fractions of an inch/centimeter. When laid down next to each other on the non-pocket-clip scale, again yes, the Delica is thinner than the Para 3, but only by maybe half the thickness of a g10 scale. So yes.. technically, the Delica does have a smaller profile, but overall, I’d say they are pretty similarly sized knifes. Yes, it may be “bulkier” than the Delica, but I don’t think the added girth in the Para 3 constitutes “bulkiness” overall. And if it does to some.. well for me, let’s just say I’m not trying to fit my knives into any skinny jeans. In my head, the Para 3 does not occupy an unreasonable amount of space in the pocket and I can carry it comfortably. I do have a deep carry pocket clip on my Para 3 which helps out with this considerably..

Where I must disagree with you is where you state “there is too little edge for many edc tasks.” Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this statement is untrue.. it may very well be the case for you that there is too little edge for your preferences. For me though.. I do not find edge length on the Para 3 to be an issue. Comparing with the Delica..which, correct me if I’m wrong, you seem to insinuate is sufficient for your edc tasks.. the Para 3 has an almost identical sharpened edge length.. in fact, it may beat out the Delica by “just the tip.” (haha, I’m eye-balling these measurements.. not real scientific, I know..). I also do not find that the Para 3’s blade thickness hinders a majority of cutting tasks that I’ve used it for. No, it’s certainly not the longest blade out there, or the sliciest but it is generally more than sufficient for me.

With regard to ergos, I will concede that I do also have trouble getting a good full four finger grip behind the choil on the Para 3. My pinky finger rests kind of on/behind that “hook” you mention. I don’t necessarily find this uncomfortable, but it is not ideal. That said, I’m a fan of choils.. which seems to be another controversial opinion I have, depending on who you ask.. and I find the Para 3 to be quite comfortable, even more so than the Delica, when gripped using the choil.

I guess when it comes down to it, I’m just reiterating my original point. The Para 3 is not necessarily “the best” at any one category, but its overall balance of being “pretty good” in a number of categories is what appeals to me and, I think, is what appeals to so many other users as well. If I know I’m going to need a knife for a specific task, I’ll carry a larger knife, or a smaller knife, or a slicier knife, or a more comfortable knife. But as an all-around edc knife, I can put a Para 3 in my pocket and go about my day knowing that I’ll probably be ok using it for any basic cutting tasks that may come up. When I go on a trip, or on vacation, and don’t have access to my entire collection, there is probably a Para 3 in my pocket for this reason. Or a Native. Or the Brouwer. A well-balanced, "all-around" knife that fills a variety of roles pretty well. I certainly appreciate that kind of balance in a knife and I think it’s pretty awesome that Spyderco offers so many great knives for us to choose from!

When it comes to knives, I don’t think that there are any wrong opinions. Some people just like what they like and dislike what they dislike and nothing anyone says is going to change that (think choils, tip-up vs. tip down, lock preference, Boye dents, scale preference, and on and on..). And of course there is the undeniable subjectivity of it all.. ****, everything I've just written here praising the Para 3 may go right out the window if the person reading it has a different sized hand than mine! How could I possibly tell that person that they are wrong for disliking a knife that they cannot hold comfortably?! If someone disagrees with you, their opinions aren't wrong.. they're just different. And that's ok!

Anyways.. I always try to appreciate different perspectives than my own.. thanks for sharing you thoughts Wartstein, and hopefully I haven't bored you and everyone else to death with mine! :)
Many thanks for your detailled and absolutely NOT boring ;) reply!

Good points, but let me share my still somewhat differing thoughts on those once more:

I still think the Para 3 is not one of the best examples, when it comes to the "balance of being pretty good in a number of categorities", three of those being carryability, EDC functionality and ergos..

- You´re right, it still carries small, for it is a small knife... but AMONGST those small knives it is one of the "bulky" ones, when you measure the "bulkiness to actual edge - ratio"... ;) But I´ll admit, I value small, slim and light carry probably more than most...

- EDC functionality: I think I did not really make my point here... :rolleyes: The Delica, just like the Para 3, actually HAS too little edge for my EDC needs... I like to have at least 3 " of actual EDGE (so not BLADE); so just for me neither the Para 3 nor the Delica have good "EDC functionality", but of course that is true just for MY personal use!

- Ergos: I guess it really comes down to if you like choils or not. Or to put it more precisely, on WHAT knives or knife-sizes you like choils.
I like choils in very small knives (DFly and Chaparral), where for my hand size the choil is mandatory to get a good four finger grip and the overall absolute handle length (regardless of how it is shaped) would not offer that; And then I like choils on bigger knives, where you still can get a good four finger grip BEHIND the choil.
The Para 3 (and the Native for example) happen to have just the size in which I don´t want a choil: They would have a handle long enough to offer a full four finger grip if shaped differently, but cause of the 50:50 choil taking away handle length, I HAVE to choke up for that. Not for me...

- But overall, you said it better than I could in the last two paragraphes of your post: Let me quote just one of your lines: "When it comes to knives, I don’t think that there are any wrong opinions" I could not agree more!!

Thanks again for the discussion! :)
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:34 am
Danvp wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:06 am
I did fall in love. And after a while I noticed I stopped carrying them. In that package the PM2 suits me better. When I want to carry a short blade I reach for my urban or ukpk. Am selling the para 3's one by one. Started with 7 now down to 5. I think I will keep one just for... you know...comparison maybe? Can't decide which steel to hold on to. S90V, 52100, maxamet, M390 or 204p. Choices, choices....
Wow, I feel like we're the same person! I also had 7 at one time, and am now down to 3. Just like you, when I want to use a shorter blade...I prefer a smaller knife overall, so like you...I'll grab the Urban, UKPK or Dragonfly most of the time. Today I've got a decent amount of work to do so I went with the Para 3 LW just because I want the stout blade of the Para 3. Pretty safe to say I'll always have 1 or 2 of these, there just not the holy grail I once thought they were. Mainly because I was so hyped up on all those sprints/exclusives that came out last year.
I know what you mean. I was on the same sprint/exclusive bandwagon. Don’t get me wrong, the para 3 is a fine knife however i feel there are better options when carrying a small one. The urban or ukpk takes less pocket space and still has great ergonomics. My taste of knives shifts over time and with use and experience. Often i also carry a fixed blade. To bad those things don’t fit my pocket. :D