Anyone enjoying the Roadie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hash_Slice

Anyone enjoying the Roadie?

Post by Hash_Slice »

Not sure anyone enjoys the Roadie as much as I do but it would be awesome to see a sprint run of this knife in S35VN, Carbon Fiber scales, and blue anodized titanium screws that can be taken apart for cleaning and maintenance. Am I crazy to ask for this to happen?! :eek:
jpm2

Re: Anyone enjoying the Roadie?

Post by jpm2 »

Been meaning to get one for a while, think I will with the next purchase.
I'll have to try the base model to see if I would like it in a more premium version.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have 2 at the post office to collect but cannot get there.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I love mine, would really love a sprint solid CF one as well.
Attachments
Spyderco Roadie
Spyderco Roadie
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I've only got one thus far, but I enjoy carrying it as a backup and it doesn't scare off non-knife people.
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:09 pm
I have 2 at the post office to collect but cannot get there.
That sucks... Hope you get back on your feet soon!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m looking forward to trying out this little knife. There are many here who own them and I think Sal said he often carries one. Maybe they will chime in.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Nebrasketball

Post by Nebrasketball »

I have two of them, I like to have one when I carry something larger like my Yojimbo, Manix 2, or PM2. It’s handy to pull out and use when I have a minor cutting task.
VG-10, H-1, 154-CM, LC200N, S30V, S35VN, S110V, M390, 20CV, CTS B70P, RWL34, AEB-L, N690Co, BD-1, XHP, 8cr13mov, CRUWEAR
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

As I've said in every other Roadie thread that's been created, the blade stock is too thick for a knife of this size.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I wasn't aware it's so TINY. :eek: Now it makes sense it comes without any clip. Guess I'll switch over to the Sqeak to cover the N690Co spot in my collection. Maybe even the pink one. ;)

About the Roadie and this category of spydies: Loved the idea of having a choice between different handle colors in the Roadie, but that is just too small. There's just one other tiny non-keychain clipless Spydie in my collection, the Dog Tag, and despite the fact that it's a very cool and capable little knife, I happen to not carry it at all... Just prefer my knives clipped to their pocket. :o
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I never cottoned to the Squeak so I have high hopes for the Roadie.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
olywa

Post by olywa »

The Roadie is one of my favorite little coin pocket knives. Takes a great edge and opens boxes and blister packs like nobody's business.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Hash_Slice wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:47 pm
Not sure anyone enjoys the Roadie as much as I do but it would be awesome to see a sprint run of this knife in S35VN, Carbon Fiber scales, and blue anodized titanium screws that can be taken apart for cleaning and maintenance. Am I crazy to ask for this to happen?! :eek:
I'd buy it.

Although I'd rather see it in 20cv/204p/m390.

Personally I'd also like it in Maxamet too (although I'd take K390 instead), but I think the market would probably prefer it in a stainless.

I've been swapping back and forth between the Roadie and the Fallkniven LTC as "watch pocket" EDC lately, and I find the Roadie more ergonomical and with superior fit and finish, but the Supergold on the Fallkniven definitely makes it the winner between them for me.

Another consideration would be some kind of textured titanium scales.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I have the roadie simply for it’s small size, no clip, and slip joint. It’s my go to for my suit pants and athletic shorts because I just throw it in my pocket. No bulk or rough edges. The choil gives this little guy a big grip, and I have a little bigger hands than normal from the pic above.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I wish it had a super thin blade.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Handled one at BLADE and really liked it. That said I can see what people are saying about the blade thickness. Still want one though.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

The blade thickness is great and I’ve never used it for any tasks and wished it was thinner. I also like the thickness because it’s a comfortable edge to put your thumb on when adding pressure to the tip. I never feel like the blade will break either, and any thinner I don’t know the dimples would be possible.
Dane

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I would like a larger one (maybe bigger than a 58mm sak but smaller than a 74mm) in a thinner stock
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think for general use, n690 and current blade stock are pretty good choices.

For "knife guy" uses, it would be awesome to see a sprint in a thinner blade stock.

You can get them reground, if you want to. I noticed that the BM Proper has a bunch of regrinds being done to make it slice better. I was actually thinking about getting my LTC reground thinner, and a thinner roadie in a higher end steel would really suit me. Not sure how it would do in the general marketplace, though.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Changed my mind. :) Ordered an orange Roadie. It's my favorite color after all. ;) So I may not carry it too much. Same as the Dog Tag. Still an awesome knife. I'll give the Roadie a chance. :) Oh, and it's cheaper, too. :D
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

archangel wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:59 pm
Changed my mind. :) Ordered an orange Roadie. It's my favorite color after all. ;) So I may not carry it too much. Same as the Dog Tag. Still an awesome knife. I'll give the Roadie a chance. :) Oh, and it's cheaper, too. :D
Orange is what I got, too.i was torn over it or the blue.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050