Caribbean vs Native 5 Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Virox96

Caribbean vs Native 5 Salt

Post by Virox96 »

I am considering getting a bugout bag type of knife in LC200N. I have a PM2 and a Manix 2 LW for EDC, but would like something that I can be sure won't rust. I have been looking at the Caribbean (not sure which version though) and the Native 5 Salt. Are there any suggestions? Does someone have experience with both?
Wartstein

Re: Caribbean vs Native 5 Salt

Post by Wartstein »

I've only owned a S35 VN Native LW once, never a Caribbean.
But from what I know: The only thing I'd prefer on the Native generally is its great backlock, other than that Carribean, no doubt. More blade and proportionally even more actual edge than the Native (no choil on the Caribbean!).. makes it a lot more versatile imho.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They are quite different, pretty much everything aside from steel is different. Aside from obvious size difference (and that's a big one) the ergonomics are very different, weight is different, size when folded and in your pocket are very different. I only have the Maxamet N5 but I like the overall Native 5 LW model enough that I'd also buy the Salt version if other models weren't a priority over it.

For my needs and preferences the Caribbean is as near perfect of an EDC/hard use folder that I've ever had. It packs a lot of edge in a Para 2 sized handle, it doesn't have any finger grooves or choils to force your grip, it slices well, it has a great lock. It may be the last EDC folder I buy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I have both and my vote would be the Caribbean leaf. Very well designed blade and handle, thin behind the edge and acute at the tip.

Lc200n has near 3v class toughness according to Larrin’s testing, so the keen grind isn’t something to worry about. I consider it Sal’s best designed knife.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I love the Native5, but the Caribbean reflects some of Sal’s latest thinking in knife design. That’s worth considering in addition to the high opinion others and I have of the knife.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I own multiple versions of the Native5 and the Caribbean Sheepsfoot SE. My vote would also be for the Caribbean. Both are great knives but the Caribbean offers so much more capability with a full size handle and 4" of cutting edge, vs. 2.5" for the N5.
JaxBaron

Post by JaxBaron »

I would choose the Caribbean. I owe both the sheepsfoot and leaf plain edge. Great large working folders.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Caribbean will be a better knife in every way. I have the PE Leaf Caribbean and it is about as perfect as a knife gets in my book.

The Native, while it's a great knife, I feel the choil takes up too much of the blade. It's too big to be so small, whereas the Caribbean is the opposite.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I vote Caribbean in the style of your choice. Leaf or sheepsfoot. Plain or serrated. It's just awesome. Great balance in the hand and has a longer cutting edge than the Native. So far I have found the edge retention of the LC200N to be about on par with S30V.

The only improvements I would like are more jimping or a thumb groove for better ergo. Another option for the scales would be good too but the yellow jacket look is pretty cool.

BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I own both of these knives and frequently EDC both. I would with out a second of hesitation pick the Caribbean Salt. If you’re bugging out you may want the additional defensive capability a larger blade like the Caribbean Salt offers.

The Caribbean is probably my favorite Spyderco and I seriously cannot recommend it enough! (I own the PE leaf btw)
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Virox96

Post by Virox96 »

Thanks for all the replies. The Caribbean it is. Now I must decide between the leaf and sheepsfoot. It will probably be plain edge as sharpening might be easier. My dealer has the sheepsfoot in stock. So it depends on my patience, haha.
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

I have 6 Natives and 3 Caribbeans respectfully.

Caribbean for your situation or purpose. You never want to be short on blade size.
Instagram: @my_blade_life
Spyderco only EDC... :D
Virox96

Post by Virox96 »

Pulled the trigger. Got the sheepsfoot with a deep carry clip, in case it becomes my edc.
Virox96

Post by Virox96 »

I received my Caribbean, awesome knife but with the pivot and lock still being a bit stiff I flicked it closed and now there is a nick in the blade from the lanyard tube. Should I just send it back?
Virox96

Post by Virox96 »

Here are some pics. :(
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg