Pic Request!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
40mm

Pic Request!

Post by 40mm »

Can anyone do a size comparison photo of a Pacific Salt (bonus points if its serrated) vs a Benchmade 940? I'm looking for a pic from directly overhead with both knives open. Thanks in advance!
PSquared

Re: Pic Request!

Post by PSquared »

The ONLY H1 knife I have in plain edge and it's the one you want a photo of a serrated one ;)

40mm

Post by 40mm »

Haha! Perfect, thanks so much!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just don't get the 940. That's a face only a mother could love...a mother who's also drunk and has lost her glasses. I'm really not into many BM designs but that one in particular really just hurts my eyes. What am I missing?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Well I've had two 940s and sold them both. I don't dislike the look and the feel in hand and carry is really good. BUT....the action is kinda finicky and I had an Omega spring break on one of them. I just don't like the complexity of the design overall especially compared to a Salt knife. I like simple. No liners, no washers, no worries. 940 is a great knife, just not for me.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:09 am
I just don't get the 940. That's a face only a mother could love...a mother who's also drunk and has lost her glasses. I'm really not into many BM designs but that one in particular really just hurts my eyes. What am I missing?
Oh come on Evil, its not THAT bad. Like, when you close an eye, maybe both, then is looks kinda ok.
I think the handle is a bit weird. Like I dont get those valleys in the middle portion of the handle.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
It´s not very likely that I´ll ever try a non-Spyderco-folder again, not cause there´s anything wrong with other brands (they might very well have great products), but somehow I happen just to be attracted to Spydercos.

That being said: IF I´d try a Non-Spyderco, it could really be the 940... exactly because I find that a bit weired design and how it might feel and work in real life interesting.
And on the practical side I´d like the long actual edge in a very slim and carryfriendly package.
Not a fan of the axxis-lock though. Works effortless, no doubt, but has a tendency to open in the pocket and the omega-springs DO break eventually...(though, as I always add to be fair: BM sends new springs for free even to Europe, and installing those is quite easy).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Had a 940 variant four different times over the years, sold it four times. Kept thinking I was missing something, but it never clicked.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Only BM's i own are the Lum designed ones, Onslaught and Dejavoo don't really like any other except the model 42 :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:02 am
Evil D wrote:
It´s not very likely that I´ll ever try a non-Spyderco-folder again, not cause there´s anything wrong with other brands (they might very well have great products), but somehow I happen just to be attracted to Spydercos.

That being said: IF I´d try a Non-Spyderco, it could really be the 940... exactly because I find that a bit weired design and how it might feel and work in real life interesting.
And on the practical side I´d like the long actual edge in a very slim and carryfriendly package.
Not a fan of the axxis-lock though. Works effortless, no doubt, but has a tendency to open in the pocket and the omega-springs DO break eventually...(though, as I always add to be fair: BM sends new springs for free even to Europe, and installing those is quite easy).
Ok. Time for An intervention. Friends don’t let friends buy 940’s or ugly knives. :o :D :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve never cared for the 940, but they’ve made worse too!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I kept a single Benchmade; other ones have come and gone quickly after receiving them.
The 940 was one of the popular designs I've tried amongst others like the Griptilian and Barrage.
They just don't hit the sweet spot Spyderco does in my case.
But to each their own I suppose :)

And for those wondering, this is the Benchmade that didn't get sold/traded (yet):

A mint condition vintage Benchmade 850 Mel Pardue gentleman's folder.
Ivory Micarta handle scales with spectrum anodized titanium liners and bolsters.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful knife and I like it, but it has never been carried or used and will probably be sold that way in the future.
I'm just gonna stick to Spydies and some midtechs/customs :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For the record I didn't mean to turn this into a BM bashing thread, that's not what we're about here. The 940 is obviously a very popular knife and lots of people love it, it's just not my style. I've also always preferred brunettes over blondes so what do I know ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:37 am
For the record I didn't mean to turn this into a BM bashing thread, that's not what we're about here. The 940 is obviously a very popular knife and lots of people love it, it's just not my style. I've also always preferred brunettes over blondes so what do I know ;)
Not bashing BM. The 940 is impractical and ugly. Even Spyderco has made knives that were impractical and ugly and so has Buck. It happens. aBM has made some great designs and I own some. The 940 is not one of those. Spyderco makes more winners than losers and is my favorite brand. Spydercos usually have superior design and performance.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:26 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:02 am
Evil D wrote:

Ok. Time for An intervention. Friends don’t let friends buy 940’s or ugly knives. :o :D :D
Doc, my friend, since I know you're in hospital right now: If it makes you feel better, I promise I won't get a 940 anytime soon, alright? :D

(Tbh, I wouldn't anyway... ;) )

Get well soon!!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
anycal

Post by anycal »

I have a 940, and I like it. Actually in my pocket right now.

There are 'uglier' knives in the Spyderco lineup, in my eyes. One of a current releases. I'll leave it at that...
Peter
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Eye of the beholder! So glad we have so many options!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

anycal wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:04 pm
I have a 940, and I like it. Actually in my pocket right now.

There are 'uglier' knives in the Spyderco lineup, in my eyes. One of a current releases. I'll leave it at that...
Just joking around

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thick behind the edge, poor overall geometry, tiny slick handle, massive gap between the blade and handle where materials get hung up, gotta remove the thumbstuds to sharpen it at reasonably thin edge angles because of how stubby the blade profile is......940's have a lot of problems IMO.

The only BM I own is a fixed blade, the Azeria, but I plan to sell it when the Swick 5 releases. They do make some good designs like the Crooked River, Griptilian and Rukus, but there's always some niggling detail about them that makes me prefer a comparable Spyderco.

Their $25 blade replacement service is pretty awesome too.
:unicorn
anycal

Post by anycal »

Not every knife has to be configured for maximum cutting performance. Not for me. It has cut everything I used it for, fits my hands, I like using it, carries very well. Also, this one has sentimental value. It is a well made, solid knife. We like knives, right? ;)

The G10 version has a decent grip. Not sure how the aluminum feels. Sharpening has never been a problem. Don’t have to take the studs off on bench stones. I think I took them off when I used Edge Pro, but don’t remember. Been a while….

Peter