I've got a Dragonfly problem

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

I've got a Dragonfly problem

Post by Doc Dan »

I have got a real Dragonfly problem. I just received my DF Salt PE in the mail. I won't review it at this time. It is the usual wonderful Spyderco F&F. The problem is, I have 7 DF's now, and at least two or three more I plan to buy! Help! I have a Nishijin (we need a new run) in ZDP-189, foliage green G10 (the one that got me hooked), 4 FRN DF's in VG-10 of different colors, and now a yellow Salt in H1. I like pocket knives, but I think I have a problem. :D :D :D

I love these little knives. It is true that I carry the Urban LW and the Chaparral LW more, but for sheer light carry and enjoyment of collecting, the DF is about as perfect a knife as can be. It is hard to believe this design is at least 25 years old. It is still one of the best small pocket knives ever made, and maybe the best. It is a genius design.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Re: I've got a Dragonfly problem

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:19 pm
I have got a real Dragonfly problem. I just received my DF Salt PE in the mail. I won't review it at this time. It is the usual wonderful Spyderco F&F. The problem is, I have 7 DF's now, and at least two or three more I plan to buy! Help! I have a Nishijin (we need a new run) in ZDP-189, foliage green G10 (the one that got me hooked), 4 FRN DF's in VG-10 of different colors, and now a yellow Salt in H1. I like pocket knives, but I think I have a problem. :D :D :D

I love these little knives. It is true that I carry the Urban LW and the Chaparral LW more, but for sheer light carry and enjoyment of collecting, the DF is about as perfect a knife as can be. It is hard to believe this design is at least 25 years old. It is still one of the best small pocket knives ever made, and maybe the best. It is a genius design.

I hear ya! Now you need the hawkbill Salt, SE Salt, and wharnie!!
And we REALLY need a Dodofly and Reverse S Dragonfly! Oh, and some blacked out Dragonfly Salts. And some FFG LC200N Dfly Salts.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

How many times did I say that Sal was visited by gods when he designed the Dragonfly ?! The man is a genius and Dragonfly is his best design ever IMHO :spyder: Now, a 2.75 inch blade lenght Dragonfly (just a stretched Dfly2 with swedge and all) would be the best edc folding knife ever... at least for me :eek: Please Sal, do your magic and give us the king of edc knives as you gave us the king of little big knives ! A flash batch maybe ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:

It's a disease ... my next purchase will be a tattoo Dfly2 ... eye candy :) I had one and it was stolen from me :mad:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I love my DF.I only wish there will be an XL in the future.And a fixed version...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Doc Dan wrote:
I have got a real Dragonfly problem.....The problem is, I have 7 DF's now, and at least two or three more I plan to buy! Help!.....
:D sounds like you're going to pull ahead again soon Doc, but the score is tied for now :D

From newest to oldest:
Waved VG-10 (My latest Spyderco)
Pakawood HAP40
Hawkbill H-1
HAP40 Sprint
Superblue Sprint
PE H-1 Salt
British Racing Green ZDP-189 (My first Spyderco)

Dragonflies aren't a problem they're a solution :)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Sorry Doc, no help available here.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am planning to get the wharncliffe when it comes out. I would have gotten it in one of my recent orders but the knife has not been released. And a hawkbill is definitely in the mix, but over here, "saw teeth" are against the law, and that little knife looks mean. Still, when I go to the ocean I can probably justify it by taking along some tackle.

I really want to see some more upgraded versions. I did not buy the wood scaled version because I have never seen a picture of one that appealed to me (I love wood done right). I missed out on the organ HAP-40 due to bills and other things. What I would really like to see is something with more bling, like a red nishijin, pine cone, polished ivory G10 (dragonfly inlay welcome), etc, scales, along with blue FRN and some new colors.

These things make the perfect gift. It is not too big and intimidating, and is surprizingly functional as a real knife. It will do things larger knives from some makers cannot do, like actually cut through a box instead of forcing through it, cut an apple into paper thin slices, etc.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I'm just hoping for a DLC Salt with LC200n.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

We could start up a support group here....wait a minute! That's how the Dragonfly virus gets spread! This is probably Spyderco's funnest knife this side of the Bug.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

You're all doomed as soon as Spyderco announces the Dragonfly 3.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Doc Dan wrote:
I have got a real Dragonfly problem...

...for sheer light carry and enjoyment of collecting, the DF is about as perfect a knife as can be. It is hard to believe this design is at least 25 years old. It is still one of the best small pocket knives ever made, and maybe the best. It is a genius design.
Ha, I think that's one of those good 'problems' to have, Doc.

I feel the same way about this perfect little design.
zhyla wrote: You're all doomed as soon as Spyderco announces the Dragonfly 3.
I honestly couldn't think of anything I would want to change in the basic design. Except D shaped pivot holes.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I just counted mine - 7 is apparently the magic number :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've only got 1 at the moment, and am trying to hold out for a sprint/exclusive of the warnie! Though that zdp189 is always tugging at me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thanks, Doc... This thread made me realize I have a Dragonfly problem as well. I don’t have any! :confused:

The only one I bought was a gift for my father. I think that’s going to change soon! I just need to decide which one to buy. Probably going to pickup the hawkbill first. Wharncliffe is on the short list as well.
-Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:40 am
Thanks, Doc... This thread made me realize I have a Dragonfly problem as well. I don’t have any! :confused:

The only one I bought was a gift for my father. I think that’s going to change soon! I just need to decide which one to buy. Probably going to pickup the hawkbill first. Wharncliffe is on the short list as well.
The standard DF is such a good all around performer I would buy one of those, as well, maybe first. I love the G10, but they are very pricey right now. But, the FRN literally is so light in weight that it never feels like it is in your pocket. I think only the Roadie is a smidgen lighter in knives of this size. I always take the clips off of mine and drop them in my pocket (except my Salt, which is clipped in my swim trunks).

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I need a Dragonfly problem, I regret not purchasing the HAP40 and the V-Toku2 models. My collection includes a orange handled VG-10 version and a PE H1 model.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ShaneInDenver wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:52 am
I need a Dragonfly problem, I regret not purchasing the HAP40 and the V-Toku2 models. My collection includes a orange handled VG-10 version and a PE H1 model.
If you can find a V-Toku2 on the secondary market for around $100 or less...I'd say go for it. It's a great knife and fun steel to use. I carried mine almost everyday for a few months until I recently got the AEB-L Urban. Giving that a shot now as my small daily carry...though that Dragonfly is itching for its spot back!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

No 'saw teeth' Doc? Well I have been pushing for a PE hawkbill for a while :D

We need more color variety, blues and reds.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I only have one and it's so awesome I haven't found the need to get another one yet! I've gotten so used to the teeth that I have a hard time imagining using a plain edge Dragonfly. ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr