The threesome fight!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Robishere

The threesome fight!

Post by Robishere »

A1E3062F-971D-4D28-8412-F5FB3F49D9C4.jpeg
So I went and took 3 brands with similar length blades and worked them hard for a month each to see which one ended up in my pocket the most at the end. My cutting talks were similar to all, they were all worn in jeans, all started with a sticky sharp blade. I was looking for:

Ergonomics: was it comfortable to open, use, slip in and out of pants, painful in the hand? Etc

Cutting performance: measured in was the blade useful in slicing different materials, push and slice cutting, pushing through material, general blade geometry.

Build quality: does it feel like quality or cheap?

I compared many other traits of these knives to see if they would be in my pocket or safe and why.

Benchmade M4 freek
Spyderco Gayle Bradley 2 M4
Zero tolerance 0562 cpm 20v

Findings:

Ergonomics: Benchmade. The gb came close but I do not care for the half pound weight, nor the flipper in front of my finger cutting. The spyderco felt too sharp and thin for repetitive tasks.

Slicing: Tie. Benchmade and Spyderco. The Benchmade is about a full flat grind where the spyderco gets thick fast after the hollow grind.....the spyderco also has an annoying end at the hilt of the blade rather than a sharpening choil....yet the benchmade has an ANNOYING coating to protect from staining which acts as a constant drag on the blade. It takes more effort to shove the coated blade through anything. The ZT was a DEAD FAIL as it is super thick. Right behind the edge it widens to almost 1/8”. The zt thickness is right up to the tip. The “Hinderer grind” is a gimmick to make it look like a slicer but really this is like a sharp crowbar. The zt can “chop” and but branches and traffic cones but fears slicing phonebook paper as it is too fat for most things.

Environmental: ZT...the zt can survive rain and harsh weather with stainless, cf, and titanium. Second was the Benchmade as the blade is protected and thirdd was spyderco which I left at home if it was raining.

Build Quality: Tie. Spyderco and ZT. The ZT is a stronger lock than spyderco, and the ball bearings are much smoother. The spyderco is FULL lined and solid. (Unlike most of the U.S.A. Spydercos it does not feel cheap and flimsy. The titanium chaparral, and both Gayle Bradleys are works of art for smoothness, centering, handle finishing, even grinding, and glass like movement. The para whatever’s honestly feel like dollar store knives to me. I LOVE the lined natives in g10 and s35vn though and some others.....this is only my personal taste).

Action: Spyderco. The Spyderco can be felt in low light, is smooth and quick, and while harder to grab and open than a para whatever, it is acceptable. The Benchmade is carried tip up only, hence pulling it out of the pocket snags the thumb studs and it regularly opens half way and sliced my thumb often. The zt was very smooth and fast, but it was a PIG to get out of the pocket sitting as it carries so incredibly low a guy cannot get a hold of it without straightening the leg and fishing for it, and it is very bulky and the flipper drags a lot. Both the zt and spyderco have solid locked blades where the benchmade wobbles. If the benchmade does not wobble it is too stiff to open. The partial liners and plastic handle is likely the culprit...just mush for a handle...and a plastic unlined handle with a painted black blade at this cost in this range? Get serious.

So what is in my pocket?
For work (I am an off road heavy duty mechanic) the Benchmade. From morning till home it rides with me as a work knife that slices, I can drop it and smack the handle and not care. For home and weekends

For evening and weekends : Spyderco. It is simply a slicer and smooth and classy and a pleasure for occasional use.
For sale: zt. Over $400 canadian for a knife that doesn’t want to cut, weighs a ton, hard to get out of pocket, it is a lot like having a hatchet in my pocket.

Ultimate Winner: Spyderco. It exudes class and elegance. It is a slicer (not a prybar, or hatchet, or screwdriver) and people ooh and aah over it. Non knife people pick it up and say it is just frigging CLASSY. The ONLY reason it does not go to work is the narrow tip, and water I am around or it would be with me everywhere. I let the benchmade take that abuse and it is still an awesome cutter.
If you have not ever picked up a Gayle bradley 2....handle one for a while in the shop some time....then try to go back to a para or unlined plastic spyderco or benchmade and you will see what you have been missing.

PS:
Spyderco $216
Benchmade $267
ZT $426
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
Maximumsmoochy

Re: The threesome fight!

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

Thanks for the review and thoughts. Like many, I've also come to the conclusion that the GB2 is a winner, and it is my go to for work or play. Love my Militaries too, but I appreciate what you mean about the plastic/rattley feel vs. luxury of the Taichungs.

Enjoy hollow grinds!
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Robishere wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:33 pm
If the benchmade does not wobble it is too stiff to open. The partial liners and plastic handle is likely the culprit...just mush for a handle...and a plastic unlined handle with a painted black blade at this cost in this range? Get serious.

I just have to make a little correction. That Benchmade's handle isn't plastic. It's G10.
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Interesting and fascinating comparison.

I have that ZT and it is indeed a brick. But I enjoy it sometimes, and it is a top notch flipper.
But $400+ for the ZT 562 -- that just doesn't sound right at all, unless everything costs twice as
much up in the frozen north.

The GB2 is an interesting choice of a Spyderco. I have the GB1 and was carrying it recently. Don't stab anyone with it since it has no guard.
I got mine at a time when I had no M4 in my life and it was one of the few production Spydercos with M4. Since then there has been a flood
of M4 exclusives from Blade HQ, so that is not the factor it once was.

My favorite Benchmade is the infamous Griptillian -- and I have often thought that the GB2 is like another rendition of the Griptillian.
The Griptillian is all about utility and a decent price. The GB2 from Taichung, if it is anything like my GB1 is over the top in fit and finish.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I question what you were cutting with that GB2 for a month straight. That thing is pristine with no sign of the slightest patina or scratch anywhere. Not trying to be an a$$, just an honest question. A non stainless knife "worked hard" for a month straight should certainly show some signs of wear.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

That's a nice review and I'm inclined to agree with a lot of it, especially re materials and ergonomics. Carrying and deployment is important, and as you say, a knife that one has to fish out of the pocket or negotiate around a thumbstud is a knife that has serious drawbacks. I'd like to know what you think of the performance of the steels themselves? Obviously the GB2 is M4, but I'm not familiar with the BM or ZT steels (although I'd guess something like 20CV or maybe S30V, for a VERY premium price at that.) Spyderco's M4 is one I'm fond of, a nice balance between toughness and edge retention.

One thing though, and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this, perhaps you dismiss the build quality of "para whatevers" too hastily? You were careful to make clear that it was just your personal view, and there's nothing wrong with that, but have you handled any of the recent PM2's/Para3's? (Many, many variants over the past couple years.) I think their build quality is phenomenal, capable of taking anything that one could throw at a tool designed for the specific tasks that they are. They certainly aren't as stout as a ZT, but I don't know if I'd call them plasticky; my carbon fiber 52100 Para/Military family feels (and IS) super strong. Just a thought, and just curious, I'm eager to hear what you have to share!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 pm
Robishere wrote:
If the benchmade does not wobble it is too stiff to open. The partial liners and plastic handle is likely the culprit...just mush for a handle...and a plastic unlined handle with a painted black blade at this cost in this range? Get serious.

I just have to make a little correction. That Benchmade's handle isn't plastic. It's G10.
Well, I do know that it is g10.... however the way it is polished it is unlike any other g10 I have felt. Most Micarta or G10 is rough or has texture. This benchmade is like a barbie dolls legs.
Both the peel ply spyderco cf and true cf of the zt have far better grip. It feels great to fit the hand, and repetitive use is no problem, but if not for the grooves and cuts in it it would be hard to hold.
It is bends and flexible compared to the zt or taichung spydie.
It is still a good slicing workhorse and is a dream to sharpen or use, but the build looks and feels cheap by comparison. On the other hand I will put it through things I would never use the Gayle Bradley for.
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I enjoy your enthusiasm and glad you found what you like. Those are all excellent knives, except for the BM...nah just kidding :D

Your review compares three very different knives and offers many subjective opinions. It's hardly scientific so I have a hard time drawing value from the comparison. I have all three models myself (sold the BM only because of redundancy in my collection) and feel each has its own distinct pros/cons.

But you found what you like and that's what this is all about. Congrats!
Last edited by Mako109 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Out of the three I think you made the best choice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Great unbiased review and I agree, all things considered the spyderco is the better buy.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Robishere wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:07 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 pm
Robishere wrote:

Well, I do know that it is g10.... however the way it is polished it is unlike any other g10 I have felt. Most Micarta or G10 is rough or has texture. This benchmade is like a barbie dolls legs.
Both the peel ply spyderco cf and true cf of the zt have far better grip. It feels great to fit the hand, and repetitive use is no problem, but if not for the grooves and cuts in it it would be hard to hold.
It is bends and flexible compared to the zt or taichung spydie.
It is still a good slicing workhorse and is a dream to sharpen or use, but the build looks and feels cheap by comparison. On the other hand I will put it through things I would never use the Gayle Bradley for.
The gb2 doesn't have peel ply cf, it has a carbon fiber/g10 laminate.
/End "that guy"

Interesting that the Benchmade is less grippy though. I would have thought it would be the other way. I really appreciate the breakdown, Both the freak and the gb2 are on my radar.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Para whatever feels like a dollar store knife? Yeah, me and Gordon Ramsey are both idiots...

Letterkenny reference for you seeing as you are Canadian
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:22 pm
me and Gordon Ramsey
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Capt J-rod

Post by Capt J-rod »

I understand your results and preferences. Please understand that I am not a knife guru. I came from a Kershaw, buck, case, Gerber lifestyle. I eventually evolved to a bench made mini-grip, which I bought two. I then got a pm2, a BM940, and most recently a para3 in 52100. ANY oaf the knives you describe are in the .0001% of guys that carry a knife. I would be flattered to own any of the above knives described. Thanks for the post, if I ever choose to cary at your level, it is much appreciated
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

What US Spydie feels ''cheap and flimsy'' to you?
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

spyderwolf wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:51 am
What US Spydie feels ''cheap and flimsy'' to you?
As an example I would pick the new unlined G10 native for example of “cheap and flimsy” as an example. Having just a pin and 3 screws connecting plastic to plastic, whether they are G10 or FRN, and a blade and bushings. They seem too flexible, the handles bend and flex, the blades tens to be stiff and “crunchy” in movement compared to the Taichung models. A better example are the frn dragonfly models. Seriously the frn dragonfly just feels like a knife you buy for $3 out of a bulk jar by a hardware store cash till. By comparison the Taichung titanium Chaparral is just stunningly smooth and well machined all around.
Some of the unlined frn spydies whether larger or ladybugs compared to the Taichung lined knives are like comparing a Saturn or Geo to a Rolls Royce.
That being said.... if you buy a GM does that mean a Cadillac or a Saturn? If you own a Ford is it a Lincoln mark something or F1...or a tempo?
I guess most brands have their high to low models. But the byrd models take things to an all new low.

I asked the owner of my favorite store why this trend is happening. When I was a kid the Buck 110 was THE KNIFE. Bone handled with brass bolsters and steel lined. It was what a knife WAS. Now for some reason...take 2 pieces of plastic of whatever kind, screw them together and put a blade inside and SHAZZAM! You have a pocket knife. Rough edges on the handle, rough action, not centered, needing constant adjusting, ground at random angles, wobbly junk......he said quite simply everything today is throw away. We do not fix a tv or appliance, we throw them away. We want more of everything and want it cheap.

What is hard about working 2 days or 3 days to get a jaw dropping good knife that you can pass on to your son?

Will we spend $1200 on an ipad that is obsolete in 2 years and throw it away, but not $250 for a knife we will have for 30 years? How many smart phones have people had that cost around $1000 and thrown out....and how many knives have we had that cost near $1000 have we had and thrown out in 2 or 3 years?

For a measly extra $100 or so I will always pick the fully lined Carbon fibre perfectly lined perfectly finished glassy smooth Spyderco vs any of the rough plastic flimsy models now. Once anyone handles my high end models all interest in the frn or para models is lost.
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:22 pm
Para whatever feels like a dollar store knife? Yeah, me and Gordon Ramsey are both idiots...

Letterkenny reference for you seeing as you are Canadian
Yes I am a Canadian if it matters somehow...and Gordon Ramsay is Scottish....
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

F174BC16-E9A2-41A9-8535-155B18469E6A.jpeg
This gives a rough idea of the thickness for slicing ability.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I can see this thread getting very interesting sometime today... *sits down with popcorn ready*
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

👀
Spydergirl88