Spyderco: Your factory edges are sharp!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco: Your factory edges are sharp!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

While this particular situation involves a Byrd folder, the Byrd Cara Cara 2, to be exact, this applies to all Spyderco knives. I gifted someone a Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara 2 and they were very surprised at how sharp the factory edge is, right out of the box. They are used to other folders and thought someone had specially sharpened it by hand. That is very amazing! Thank you.

I am sure there are "edge afis" and sharpeners here who can get the edges even sharper but that is still a great testimonial.
Jazz

Re: Spyderco: Your factory edges are sharp!

Post by Jazz »

Yes, they usually are very sharp. Only if the edge angle is not to my liking do I sharpen them myself right off the bat.
- best wishes, Jazz.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

+1 Shaving sharp out of the box with an exceptional consistency. Thank you Spyderco! :spyder:

What's a better first impression of a knife?
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I don't buy as many Spyderco's as I once did, but the last three I purchased this year had perfectly even edge grinds and were literally hair shaving shaving sharp out of the box. Spyderco seems to be at the top of their game in the sharpening department! Thanks Spyderco!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The first time I sliced rope with a brand new Byrd Rescue 2 I was amazed. If I ever handed it to someone to slice rope, I'd say "using that to cut rope makes you want to buy one doesn't it?" Every time they've said "YES IT DOES".
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

All of my Spydies came very sharp, but the sharpest was/is my brand new Endela SE... flies through phonebookpaper effortless like it (the paper, not the knife ;)) was thin air...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

It's a race between cold steel and Spyderco for best factory edge
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:31 am
It's a race between cold steel and Spyderco for best factory edge
Never owned a cold steel knife, but they must be good if they match Spyderco sharpness-wise... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
carrot

Post by carrot »

There's a premium knife company I bought from that had/has loads of praise from the IKC when I first got into knives. It was my first knife, and it came dull as a butter knife. I had to learn to sharpen real quick.

My second knife was an Endura, and it came classically Spyderco sharp. Talk about making a first impression.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

This, in my experience, is getting to be a rarity. I can't tell you how many times I have to sharpen brand new, premium knives from other manufacturers that cost way too much to have to do so. Keep up the great work Spyderco!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
archangel

Post by archangel »

Mako109 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:37 pm
I don't buy as many Spyderco's as I once did, but the last three I purchased this year had perfectly even edge grinds and were literally hair shaving shaving sharp out of the box. Spyderco seems to be at the top of their game in the sharpening department! Thanks Spyderco!

Care to share with us which 3 models you acquired?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

All of my spydercos have come super sharp. I've only had a problem with one, my persistence. It was sharp, but the bevel is off and the sharpmaker hits the shoulder on one side at the 40 degrees setting. So it needs a reprofile. Thinking of sending it to Golden to see how their service is.

My Kershaws and Zero Tolerance knives needed work. Funny the Chinese Kershaws are better than the American ones... For KAI being such a large company, they sure don't have great sharpeners. I think they need to invest in some robots.

Keep it up spyderco! I love being able to take a knife out of the box and use it immediately!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Always got great edges from spyderco and cold steel.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

More of the same here. Of the 20+ Spyderco knives that have passed through my hands the past 2 years, I think maybe 2 of them weren't razor sharp. I normally run every new knife on the UF rods, just a couple passes to give it that really sticky bite we all love...though it's probably unnecessary!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Most of them are very very sharp but a few I've got barely cut paper. My first one was sharp though and I was hooked :)
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

archangel wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:11 am
Mako109 wrote:

Sure thing:
Ikuchi CPMS30V
Yojimbo 2 Sprint CF/CPM20CV
Shaman 2 Sprint CF/CPMS90V

...also PM2 CPMS110V which came extremely sharp, but edge bevels not quite even compared to the three above if one is being picky. It's not bad and I know I can even it out myself. This is my first S110V and the edge holding property is remarkable.
Last edited by Mako109 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Wups double post. Sorry.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Mako109 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:25 pm
archangel wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:11 am
Mako109 wrote:

Sure thing:
Ikuchi CPMS30V
Yojimbo 2 Sprint CF/CPM20CV
Shaman 2 Sprint CF/CPMS90V

...also PM2 CPMS110V which came extremely sharp, but edge bevels not quite even compared to the three above if one is being picky. It's not bad and I know I can even it out myself. This is my first S110V and the edge holding property is remarkable.

Why the Ikuchi?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

All of the Spydercos I have ever had came very sharp! My Large Sebenza came very dull, was frustrating to say the least. Keep up the good work Spyderco!
Josh
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yes, one curious thing in the knife industry which I've always wondered about, is that making a good knife, and giving it a proper sharp edge from the factory, seem to be two completely different things.

John Juranitch commented on this in his seminal book The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening.

In the old days, edged tools like pocketknives and axes were often not shipped with a sharp edge from the factory at all. They were sold in a state called 'edge ready', and it was expected that the customer had the skills and knowledge to apply the exact type of edge grind and finish they needed.

Most Japanese kitchen knives (at least most of the ones sold in Japan) seem to be sold with a similar understanding, that the customer will do the final edge tuning to their personal preference.

A lot of modern knives really don't seem to be that much different than that, IMHO.

Spyderco and Mora are about the only two manufacturers I've encountered, that have high quality, refined edges straight out of the box.

I resharpen most new knives before I use them. The Spydies and Moras are the only ones where I use the original edge until it dulls a bit, then thin out and resharpen.