Lil Native Back Lock or Techno 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Lil Native Back Lock or Techno 2?

Post by Doc Dan »

I am still thinking of these two knives and cannot make up my mind. The Lil Native is small and thick, has decent steel, G10, a back lock (my preferred lock), and it has a point on the blade. The blade seems it would be a decent slicer (not DF slicer, but ok). It is also not heavy.

The Techno has no point, but is interesting and has Titanium for scales. The blade is a bit thick and I worry about it fitting my big hand. I like the looks, however. I also worry about the finger guard getting in the way of opening, and the ergos. This is a lot of money to put into a knife I might not like.

I should point out that I have large hands, but I can still use a DF or an ULW, okay. A Native without using the choil is a 3 finger knife, if that gives some perspective.

Do any of you have these knives (preferably both) and can give me some perspective on usage, feel in the hand, and a size comparison? Also, which knife do you prefer, and why?

(don't suggest Chaparral, ULW, of DF, as I have multiples of these)

Thanks
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
spyderg

Re: Lil Native Back Lock or Techno 2?

Post by spyderg »

I’ve got an original Techno and just recently picked up a lil’ Native lb. I too get a 3 finger grip on a Native 5 without the choil. The lil’ Native using the choil is a full 4 finger and feels great in hand. I chose it over the comp lock due to the comp having a wire clip. The wire clip is what keeps me from using my Techno, digs in like no one’s business on what would otherwise be a decent grip. I’ve carried it clipless in my back pocket a few times but that’s usually reserved for a traditional. Plus I don’t really trust it to stay closed even though it was never an issue.
I think the lil’ Native would make for a better knife if you use it a lot, the Techno 2 a bit more for showing off, occasional use.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Lil Native is certainly the more practical knife IMHO. I just really wish it had the standard jimping.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lil Native
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Lil Native will be a better knife in most any situation.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have and love both. But since your question is either/or, I’d say get the Lil’ Native. It’s the more capable, IMHO.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks! You folks are telling me the same thing I was thinking. I was leaning towards the LN strongly, but the Techno is so cool.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:03 pm
Thanks! You folks are telling me the same thing I was thinking. I was leaning towards the LN strongly, but the Techno is so cool.

A more exciting question would be : Lil'Native or Rhino ?! I own both and ...ask me :D
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Techno does look cool! But lil native appears pretty comparable to the urban, which for me is also 4-finger with the choil and 3-finger without. The flat spine of the lil native wouldn’t cramp your thumb while using the choil. I think I would prefer the backlock on such a small knife over a comp lock or frame lock.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Take the amount you would have spent on the Techno 2 and Get the Lil Native and spend the difference towards the upcoming lightweight police 4
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:27 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

A more exciting question would be : Lil'Native or Rhino ?! I own both and ...ask me :D
Hahaha! I'm afraid to ask after you have been after me to buy a Lil Native. You might be hard on my wallet! :D :D :D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:39 pm
elena86 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Hahaha! I'm afraid to ask after you have been after me to buy a Lil Native. You might be hard on my wallet! :D :D :D

Allow me to quote a living classic( a certain Doc about the backlock Manix2 ;) ) : Rhino is a "superior knife" in almost every way ... thinner blade stock, way thinner behind the edge, longer cutting edge, arguably better steel, nicer scales ... you name it ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:04 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:39 pm
elena86 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Allow me to quote a living classic( a certain Doc about the backlock Manix2 ;) ) : Rhino is a "superior knife" in almost every way ... thinner blade stock, way thinner behind the edge, longer cutting edge, arguably better steel, nicer scales ... you name it ....
Well, you got me there! hahaha! The only thing that I do not love is the lock on the Rhino (not that I hate it). I ordered a Lil Native back lock a few hours ago. We'll see how it is. The Rhino is still on my list to buy, however, at some point. I like pocket knives so these two appeal to me, tremendously.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:47 am

Lil Native is certainly the more practical knife IMHO. I just really wish it had the standard jimping.

+1 It really needs jimping
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
benben

Post by benben »

Okay, so not a direct comparison to your question.......I have a Comp lock Lil' Native and the original Techno, I'll take the Lil' Native everyday of the week! As already stated here, it's just a more practical knife.

*******And the Lil' Native is fine withOUT any jimping, I don't miss it one bit on this knife!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

benben wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:05 am
Okay, so not a direct comparison to your question.......I have a Comp lock Lil' Native and the original Techno, I'll take the Lil' Native everyday of the week! As already stated here, it's just a more practical knife.

*******And the Lil' Native is fine withOUT any jimping, I don't miss it one bit on this knife!
Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. I had arrived at that conclusion, but just wanted to make certain. KW will ship mine out today, probably. I'll start using it as soon as I get it and see how it is. I love the looks of it, for certain, and the blade shape should be very useful. I wanted a little tank of a pocket knife, but could not convince myself on the Techno 1 or 2. But this knife in back lock rose to the top of my want list.

Where is the slip joint version?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050