Spyderco Amalgam!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

Spyderco Amalgam!

Post by soc_monki »

Got my amalgam in yesterday! All I can say is, why don't I hear people talk about this knife more?? It is large (nearly 9 inches!) but very light, and it rides in the pocket extremely well! I love the blade shape, it flips awesome, despite some saying it has a weak detent. Honestly, it's on par with my zt 0562cf detent, not too strong and not too weak. Just right! I haven't tried spydie flicking it yet, but the hole works, obviously! Flips great. I kind of like how you have to time the closing so you get out of the way of the flipper tab. You don't have to, of course. You can close it in two steps and that works just fine too.

It has a sound all it's own. Kind of a muted, higher pitched thunk when opening, with a little swish sound while the blade swings out. On closing you get a satisfying little ting/gong sound, hard to describe. I love it!

Only improvement? Get rid of the choil. Its not a deal breaker, but that extra cutting edge would be nice! However, I appreciate this blade, and I'm sure I'll use the choil area, so no big deal!

Easily made its way to the top with my favorite Spydies as soon as I handled it. Like a spyderco made ZT, with a really sharp edge out of the box! Love it!!

Thanks Brian Lai, Sal, Eric, and everyone else who had a hand in developing this knife. I'm so glad I could add it to my collection!!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
shunsui

Re: Spyderco Amalgam!

Post by shunsui »

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

That Amalgam, looks like an awesome knife...
Congratz, soc_monki
Nice pics shunsui :)
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

B33C3586-423A-4683-BA82-3F0C855EA164.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

I love mine as well. The timing of closing it and getting your finger clear of the flipper tab quickly becomes second nature. ‘Light Switching’ the flipper tab rather than loading it is the way to go. Super smooth, almost drop shut action. The detent is light on all the ones I’ve handled. It is not a deal breaker imo. Overall it just feels great. I’m glad you like it.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Love mine too, including choil. Modded it for easier closure, and that has turned out to work very well in use.

BTW, interesting comparison to the skinny Slicer above. Never occurred to me that they were so similar in shape.
Last edited by ferider on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

Attachments
89F6BE9C-B704-46CC-8FA3-478E0174CEF8.jpeg
Last edited by Redman5006 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

ferider wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:03 am
Love mine too, including choil. Modded it for easier closure, and that has turned out to work very well in use.

BTW, interesting comparison to the skinny Slicer above. Never occurred to me that they were so similar in shape.
I love that mod for that knife. Awesome job. Congrats on the Amalgam Soc_Monki
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

spyderg wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:56 am
Wow. That blade shape looks terrific on that knife. It's got a postmodern Bowie thing going on.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:41 am
spyderg wrote:
Wow. That blade shape looks terrific on that knife. It's got a postmodern Bowie thing going on.
Thnx, I’m quite happy with how it turned out. I always wanted a Schempp Bowie, (planned on removing the top hump/guard on the bolster) but the wire clip kept me away.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

spyderg wrote:
That mod makes this knife look perfect! I want one.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The amalgam is amazingly solid.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Carried the Amalgam all day yesterday. For an almost 9 inch long knife, it is very slim in pocket and so easy to carry. Don't feel the heft like you do with a Manix 2, and it's easier to get your hand around when reaching into your pocket.

It is supremely fun to flip, or flick, or even slow open with the spydie hole. I've been two stage closing it mostly, disengaging the lock, letting the flipper tab hit my finger, then either closing with my thumb or shaking it. Such a satisfying knife to use!

I did disassemble and clean it, just for curiosities sake really. Little bit of KPL, and she went back together perfectly, no need to mess with centering. That's one thing I've found about more expensive knives. 9 times out of 10 they go back together and center pretty much close to perfect. Just did my 0562cf and same thing. Just tightened everything up and checked it and perfectly centered. The amalgam is just as easy, I just snugged it all up, checked, then did a final tightening and it's all perfect!

I hope they never discontinue this knife, or at least wait a little while. I'm going to pick another up one of these days. It is just that good. I've even come to grips with the choil lol!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:55 am
Got my amalgam in yesterday! All I can say is, why don't I hear people talk about this knife more?? It is large (nearly 9 inches!) but very light, and it rides in the pocket extremely well! I love the blade shape, it flips awesome, despite some saying it has a weak detent. Honestly, it's on par with my zt 0562cf detent, not too strong and not too weak. Just right! I haven't tried spydie flicking it yet, but the hole works, obviously! Flips great. I kind of like how you have to time the closing so you get out of the way of the flipper tab. You don't have to, of course. You can close it in two steps and that works just fine too.

It has a sound all it's own. Kind of a muted, higher pitched thunk when opening, with a little swish sound while the blade swings out. On closing you get a satisfying little ting/gong sound, hard to describe. I love it!

Only improvement? Get rid of the choil. Its not a deal breaker, but that extra cutting edge would be nice! However, I appreciate this blade, and I'm sure I'll use the choil area, so no big deal!

Easily made its way to the top with my favorite Spydies as soon as I handled it. Like a spyderco made ZT, with a really sharp edge out of the box! Love it!!

Thanks Brian Lai, Sal, Eric, and everyone else who had a hand in developing this knife. I'm so glad I could add it to my collection!!
My understanding is that the choil on this knife allows for clearance of the compression lock.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:18 pm
soc_monki wrote:

My understanding is that the choil on this knife allows for clearance of the compression lock.
I believe you’re thinking of the Smock. On that knife the choil is necessary to clear the button on the comp lock. Not the case on the Amalgam, on it the choil is there to be a choil. From what I can tell looking inside, the blade could come all the way back to the flipper tab and still not end up in the cutout for the lock as on a few other recent designs.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

spyderg wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:35 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:18 pm
soc_monki wrote:

I believe you’re thinking of the Smock. On that knife the choil is necessary to clear the button on the comp lock. Not the case on the Amalgam, on it the choil is there to be a choil. From what I can tell looking inside, the blade could come all the way back to the flipper tab and still not end up in the cutout for the lock as on a few other recent designs.
No I am not thinking of the Smock I am thinking of the Amalgam. I will have to take a closer look at mine when I get home.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

The choil is well away from the lock. The choil is a design choice, not a necessity. Of course I have seen that the tropen has exposed blade at the lock cutout...? Is the smock similar?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

soc_monki wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:33 am
The choil is well away from the lock. The choil is a design choice, not a necessity. Of course I have seen that the tropen has exposed blade at the lock cutout...? Is the smock similar?
Nope, the blade on the Smock is safely within the handle. There’s no cutout for lock access as it employs a button attached to the lockbar to disengage. The choil has to be on the Smock to fit around said button when closed.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

spyderg wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:40 am
soc_monki wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:33 am
Nope, the blade on the Smock is safely within the handle. There’s no cutout for lock access as it employs a button attached to the lockbar to disengage. The choil has to be on the Smock to fit around said button when closed.
Good to know!