Do you have "easy to sharpen / high edge retention"-pairs of your favorite Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Do you have "easy to sharpen / high edge retention"-pairs of your favorite Spydercos?

Post by Wartstein »

Edit Oct. 2020: Switched from carrying my REX 45 Manix LW to the BD1N a few days ago, and that made me remember this old little June 2019 thread I started once. So I thought I could revive it (man, my HAP 40 knives looked new back then! :rolleyes: ), since now I actually have another "easy to sharpen/high edge retention"- pair...- see my most recent post at the end of the thread.
Anyone else?

June 2019:

I love Spyderco folders, but I am not a "steel-junkie" at all. I am not really picky there, tried some steels, found out what works for my use and sharpening skills, and pretty much stick with these

Still, my two all time favorite folders of all brands (Stretch 1 and Endura 4) I wanted to have each in both an easy to sharpen plus an higher-edge-retention -steel, but I´d not go so far that I necessarely have to try these models in multiple (more than two) different steels (though I had an Endura in ZDP 189 once).

So below you can see Stretch 1 and Endura 4, both in HAP 40 plus VG10... ;)

Does anyone else have a similar approach? Or perhaps other kinds of "pairs" of the same model (for example G10 / FRN handle and so on)

Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Re: Do you have "easy to sharpen / high edge retention"-pairs of your favorite Spydercos?

Post by Evil D »

Not intentionally but since I like different steels for different reasons I have a pretty wide range of options on some, particularly the Military.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cycleguy

Re: Do you have "easy to sharpen / high edge retention"-pairs of your favorite Spydercos?

Post by cycleguy »

I can claim Delica 4 in: VG10, S30V, Vtoku 2, Zdp-189, M390, SuperGold 2, and Damascus. You can arrange those into pairs to see how many that makes!

VG10 has seen approximately 99.65% of the use so I can't offer any detailed experience comparing and contrasting them.

I seem to be content with VG10 as it seems to do everything I ask of it....

My Delica 4 pair is VG10 and VG10. Lost one, bought another, found the one I lost ... so have a pair of VG10 in us. Guess this makes VG10 go twice as long without resharpening ... does this now qualify as a super steel?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I really like these two, for both their similarities, and differences.

vivi

Post by vivi »

I like SE H1 because it's one of the few steels to offer both of these attributes.

I do touch-ups in about 30 seconds with a single white sharpmaker rod, but it holds an edge for a long time as an EDC.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:03 pm
I like SE H1 because it's one of the few steels to offer both of these attributes.

I do touch-ups in about 30 seconds with a single white sharpmaker rod, but it holds an edge for a long time as an EDC.
Never had an H1 knife myself, but from what I heard: What you say is really only true for SE H1 (so not PE), as you stated anyway, right?

And how much of this do you think is due solely to the H1, how much to the serrations? On my VG 10 comboedge Delica the serrated part of the blade stays sharp longer than the plain part, as it should be also in theory as far as I understand.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I feel like maxamet probably offers the best combination of edge retention and ease of sharpening of most any steel available. M4 is also a strong contender. I would vote for serrated H1 too but “edge retention” in serrated edges is much more difficult to measure, quantify and compare.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:35 am

Super nice looking edges there!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:16 pm
jpm2 wrote:

That's right!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:52 pm
I feel like maxamet probably offers the best combination of edge retention and ease of sharpening of most any steel available.
Agree 100%. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Maxamet is still mythical to me, but it’s on my menu and I’m certainly enjoying all the appetite-whetting talk about it.

But, truth be told, I could easily take any two Spydies in supposedly humdrum S30V or S35VN and be happy as a clam, provided I love each of the models. The Shaman and Native5 would do.

I could go for a supposedly lesser steel like VG10 and would be satisfied pairing my Superleaf with my G10 Dragonfly.

Unless we’re talking PE H1, I’m pretty sure Spyderco does not offer steels that have sub-par edge-retention. It does offer steels with less-than-fun sharpening response. S110V comes to mind.

So, between PE H1 and S110V, the permutations of pairs are likely more a reflection of preferred models in a person’s collection than “the best” steels.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:30 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:16 pm
jpm2 wrote:
That's right!
Thanks, they needed a little thinning and slicked up.
The apexes were polished at one time to see how they did, as I do with all new steels, but not now.
aebl is finished on the fine side of a doublestuff, k390 on the 2000 grit side of a Venev Dual Side Bonded Diamond Pocket Stone from Gritomatic.

I agree wear resistance to ease of sharpening ratio for maxamet is excellent.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Update 2020: My newest "easy-to-sharpen/high edge retention"-pair ;)

nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

You do love them oranges @Wartstein!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:40 am
You do love them oranges @Wartstein!
BURNT oranges, yes! :)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Nice update!

I've never bought knives for this purpose, but I have a bunch of delicas and dragonflys so I accidentally purchased and easy to sharpen and high wear resistance --> superblue/vtoku2 and K390
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I have stainless and non-stainless pairs.

For me, diamond bench stones make most steels feel quite similar during sharpening, so my focus is on edge strength, edge retention, and stainlessness(if needed). This means both stainless and non-stainless are necessary in my climate and the things I cut.

These pairs also seem to satisfy my "need" for more knives, because I own multiples of some of my favorite models. This means that any time I look at a new knife, I weigh the pros and cons; will it be better than what I already have, or will it do something the others won't? Generally I'm not swayed (anymore), even if I do still have a wishlist: my practical side tells me buyer's remorse is just a few clicks away. Fortunately, I have developed more of an appreciation for the knives I have, due to them getting a fair chance. It's hard to appreciate what you have, if there's always something "new" and "better" out there.

This new fidelity has brought about a second "honeymoon" phase with some knives, and that's just plain awesome.

Funny how a simple concept can create so many ripples.

I'll edit to post some pictures later.

Pardon the poor lighting, it's dark and the sun hasn't been around much lately... :confused:

Below are the Rex 45 and 204P Para 3s.

The M390 and K390 PM2s.

And despite being different models, they feel and look so similar, that I consider these two a pair as well. They are probably my most carried knives. The Rex 45 Shaman and S90V Manix 2.

Last edited by Albatross on Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

If you have LC200N, you only need one knife. It is the Goldilocks steel of the edge retention, toughness and stainless quandary. Ask me how I feel about LC200N :D
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:33 pm
If you have LC200N, you only need one knife. It is the Goldilocks steel of the edge retention, toughness and stainless quandary. Ask me how I feel about LC200N :D

I have a vague idea how you might feel about it, Fireman... ;)

Can´t wait to try LC200N myself (though I personally don´t need the degree of corrosion resistance).
And I will, as soon as the Pac Salt 2 in this steel is available in Europe! :)
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I really like zdp-189 for smaller blades, there is just something about the razor sharp edge and how long it holds that edge. It is comforting to just touch and slice when using a smaller blade.

I have always wanted to try s90v in something like the delica - thinner than the native. More stain resistant than zdp, and still just cuts and cuts. I never thought I would carry a delica as much as I have lately.

The delica has interfered with rextober, but the clip may come off the native soon...

I am not good with photos, but I have always been amazed at the blade length similarities between the manbug and dragonfly. Yet they feel so different size wise, in the hand.