Problem with Maxamet PM2 from the new run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mtbg308

Re: Problem with Maxamet PM2 from the new run

Post by Mtbg308 »

I just ordered a maxamet pm2 about 15 minutes ago from opticsplanet and use my $15 coupon, but I’m gonna cancel now before it’s shipped. Love my S110v Pm2 I got a couple days ago from them and got excited about this one being available, but not gonna chance the max till the next production maybe, or explanation. This max was on bought on impulse for about 2 days pay. But I’m on a beer budget and can afford to wait and see for sure.

Thanks for the post and I hope spyderco responds... but no response is usually not a good thing imho.

I also hope that Spyderco knows when I searched for maxamet, to look forward to my max order, this link pops up front page on google and may cause others to avoid maxamet, like myself. Just trying to help spyderco out a bit. Hint hint... ya’ll getting called out ;)

Personally, I think you should have gotten a new replacement knife and need to contact spyderco so we all can get up-to-date.

Cheers!
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Alright guys got a mystery package in the mail unexpectedly today and it was a replacement Maxamet PM2! Spyderco sent me a beautiful copy... probably the best action on a knife I've ever had and everything else about it is perfection. Yes it took a little bit and I was somewhat in the dark through the process but overall it worked out.

Along with the knife I have a letter written to me by Kate Mastriano who is Sal's assistant. In the letter she says the blade must have been from a very early batch where heat treat was suspect and that they've issued me a new Maxamet PM2.

So I'm guessing there was at most only a few blades that fell into this first batch and I wouldn't be surprised if they were never intended to go out into the consumers hand but happened to slip by on accident.

Knowing Spyderco they've gotten their HT down and they're producing proper Maxamet blades by now this one is just a fluke. Also the first runs of Maxamet PM2's and Para 3s were selling just as fast as a sprint run knife so if this was a major issue we most likely would have heard more about it by now but everyone seems to be pretty content with their copies.

For everyone doubting or worried about making the purchase I would say you've got nothing to worry about at all! They're well into production of these guys now so any bugs have been ironed out and if you come across issues Spyderco has your back.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Mtbg308 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Personally, I think you should have gotten a new replacement knife and need to contact spyderco so we all can get up-to-date.

Cheers!
Spyderco got back to me, I made a post and I'll probably throw it in my original post for anyone who comes across in the future.

That being said in my opinion I'd go for the Maxamet PM2. You're probably safe from any chance of getting an early HT model by now and it's a wicked knife... I honestly think they step these up a notch over a regular S30V PM2, just about as perfect as you could ask for in a production knife.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Awesome!

Funny there was no communication though, lol.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:13 pm
Awesome!

Funny there was no communication though, lol.
Right!? I just sent my knife to them and magically a new one appeared in the mail some 6 weeks later.

I was directly emailing Sal and also sent my knife addressed directly to him vs the warranty department so I'm thinking maybe I just skipped past the warranty department. We know Sal is a busy guy so I'm not surprised he may not have had the time to write me some update emails. Anyways its over and sorted now so I'm a happy customer.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

That's nice to hear! To me, the strangest thing about the whole episode was that there ever existed a piece of steel that actually would bend under the pressure a human hand could exert. Carbon, tool, stainless, exotic...I would never have thought any ferrous alloy would yield to that little force. But, what do I know, duhhh lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Another theory why it took so long was maybe there were none in stock and the wait was for more to be made?
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:15 pm
That's nice to hear! To me, the strangest thing about the whole episode was that there ever existed a piece of steel that actually would bend under the pressure a human hand could exert. Carbon, tool, stainless, exotic...I would never have thought any ferrous alloy would yield to that little force. But, what do I know, duhhh lol
Non treated steel or very poorly treated steel bends fairly easy, also considering it was at the tip where it's super thin theres not much backing it. I'm sure most of us could bend a cheap fork or spoon with pressure from our hands because its thin untreated metal, similar situation here.

Needless to say I cant do that to the new one at all Haha.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

jpm2 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:02 pm
Another theory why it took so long was maybe there were none in stock and the wait was for more to be made?
I didn't think about this but theres actually a really good chance you're right on the money here... that'd make the most sense actually!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Genotoxic wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:10 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Non treated steel or very poorly treated steel bends fairly easy, also considering it was at the tip where it's super thin theres not much backing it. I'm sure most of us could bend a cheap fork or spoon with pressure from our hands because its thin untreated metal, similar situation here.

Needless to say I cant do that to the new one at all Haha.
Ahh, point taken. Again, what do I know duhhh...lol
But truly, I'm glad you got sorted out, and with a nice perfect Maxamet PM2! I really do think we are dealing with a thoroughly decent organization.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:31 pm
Genotoxic wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:10 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
But truly, I'm glad you got sorted out, and with a nice perfect Maxamet PM2! I really do think we are dealing with a thoroughly decent organization.
Thank you! Also I agree, Spyderco is among the best in the business. This whole situation didn't make me doubt them as a company if anything it made me respect them more!