Ouroboros G10 polished and contoured

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hambone56rx

Re: Ouroboros G10 polished and contoured

Post by hambone56rx »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:09 am
hambone56rx wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:19 pm
David,

How well do you think this could be done to a PM2? Getting the contoured scales could solve my itch for the Shaman! :D

Thanks!

Hamilton
You can definitely polish it but you may not be able to get as much grain to show through. You need to really contour it a good amount to get that much grain to show, and on a PM2 I think you'd end up going too far and expose a liner if you tried. I would talk with someone who makes custom scales and ask for them to make some extra thick and then they can be contoured down to look like this.
David,

Thanks for the feedback! I would be less concerned on the appearance and more concerned with the feel in the hand.

Thanks for being awesome!

Hamilton
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Wow D, that’s just awesome... It looks like a full-custom piece with the contouring you’ve done, very nice work.

Sorry for not weighing in sooner, life’s been crazy hectic this last month, but wanted to post here even if it is a little late because of the effort David’s put into this piece. I love to see folks taking the initial designs of mine and making the knives their own.

Modders rule,
- Paul
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

hambone56rx wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:46 pm
Evil D wrote:
hambone56rx wrote:
David,

How well do you think this could be done to a PM2? Getting the contoured scales could solve my itch for the Shaman! :D

Thanks!

Hamilton
You can definitely polish it but you may not be able to get as much grain to show through. You need to really contour it a good amount to get that much grain to show, and on a PM2 I think you'd end up going too far and expose a liner if you tried. I would talk with someone who makes custom scales and ask for them to make some extra thick and then they can be contoured down to look like this.
David,

Thanks for the feedback! I would be less concerned on the appearance and more concerned with the feel in the hand.

Hamilton
David,

Following up on this, how well would micarta contour? I might not be able to contour it as much as a Shaman or your Ouroboros, but it would be Significantly cheaper doing it on the soon to be mass produced PM2 in Cruwear and Micarta than the Shaman in Z-Wear and Micarta.

Hamilton
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

That looks awesome mate, very unique and interesting knife.
Is that a type of skinning knife?
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Beautiful work!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

hambone56rx wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:03 am
hambone56rx wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:46 pm
Evil D wrote:
hambone56rx wrote:
David,

Thanks!

Hamilton
David,

Hamilton
David,

Following up on this, how well would micarta contour? I might not be able to contour it as much as a Shaman or your Ouroboros, but it would be Significantly cheaper doing it on the soon to be mass produced PM2 in Cruwear and Micarta than the Shaman in Z-Wear and Micarta.

Hamilton

You should be able to polish micarta the same way, it just depends more on the design of the knife/scales and how thick they are. The problem with the Para 2 is that it has nested liners, so you can only round off/bevel the edges so far before you sand through and expose the liner. However, this new micarta/Cruwear PM2 has exposed full liners which is a whole new world of modding since you won't run into this same issue and at the very least you could bevel the scales all the way until they're rounded and flush with the liners. It'll also be much easier for the average guy to make scales for. The grip will get much thinner and it'll melt in your pocket.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Stunning; great work David :spyder: