Starting to buy Spydercos in pairs!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Starting to buy Spydercos in pairs!

Post by cycleguy »

Want to keep them pristine. Want to use them. Now buying in pairs.

This sickness is getting expensive... :spyder: :p

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Evil D

Re: Starting to buy Spydercos in pairs!

Post by Evil D »

Well that's one way to do it...have a user and have a desk fondler. I have only bought duplicates of sprint runs but now I do have three Sliveraxes but they'll all be different in a ways once I'm done with them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Haha. I have the same sickness. I feel much better about using my knives when I have a backup.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Have only done this a couple of times. Once with the initial green G10 204p PM2 sprint and then the Maxamet mule. No regrets on either. The former allowed me to gift a decent PM2 to a friend's son who had already started building backyard forges at 15. The latter gives me an excuse to get some fancy scales on a workbench mule one of these days in addition to the mule with Halpern's on a chore knife.

I get the 'take it out and look at it' thing I suppose. Would like one of the Abel Reel Native's for that. But in practice, I like to use them. That doesn't preclude getting two of something.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 pm
I must be different...I primarily only have sprints and exclusives and am excited to use all of them and not worry about how they look. Granted I clean and touch up each knife after each day of use. A pristine knife, in my eyes is a waste of money, engineering and a great tool that someone else may be missing out on while you keep it tucked away in a box :rolleyes:

Like me itching for a Rex45 Military...plenty of people have them or don't use them, or advertise them on the secondary market for $250+...which I refuse to pay :mad:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
jacala

Post by jacala »

Yea, I know what you mean.
I've accidentally doubled-up on a few PM2's and PM3's.
But I've deliberately bought two each of Aqua Salts and Jumpmaster 2's so that I have a "user" and a "safe queen" of each.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I can understand both sides; 1) They're meant to be used, and who knows, especially when it comes to Sprints, there might be some poor soul who can't find one that's been sold out for a while... 2) there are some pieces that one just couldn't imagine living without, and the only real way to guarantee that happy life is to have a user and a pristine backup.

I've got pairs of the 52100 Military and PM2, and I rationalize that by telling myself they both took over a year to sell out, so I'm not depriving anyone lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I use all of my Spyders and want them to be and looked used.

I have only one single backup: For my VG10 Stretch 1, since I once already lost the single piece I had of this model and it was hard to find a replacement at the time... so I thought it would be better to have two, just in case.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83983&p=1333009&hil ... t#p1333009
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am usually wondering about myself just buying one at a time. I guess if you have no shortage of cash, buying two at a time would be fine, but even then I use all of my knives and I am not using them so hard they look beat to heck. I expect all of my Spydercos to outlive me and be in pretty good shape. Now losing one could certainly happen -- but I don't think I am so attached to any one knife that I couldn't go on with life if that happened. Let's say I lost my Rex45 PM2. That would be sad, but I could carry my Rex45 Military if I just wanted to have Rex45 in my pocket, or carry an M4 PM2 -- so life goes on. No losses so far so this is all academic.

If I collected comic books (which would be about the last thing I would do), I would read them, not keep them in sealed bags like some people do.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:06 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I must be different...I primarily only have sprints and exclusives and am excited to use all of them and not worry about how they look. Granted I clean and touch up each knife after each day of use. A pristine knife, in my eyes is a waste of money, engineering and a great tool that someone else may be missing out on while you keep it tucked away in a box :rolleyes:

Like me itching for a Rex45 Military...plenty of people have them or don't use them, or advertise them on the secondary market for $250+...which I refuse to pay :mad:
Black wolf supply has some Rex45 Militarys in stock for $191.97

I bought a V-toku2 Stretch(when no one else had any left) from them a while back and had a pleasant experience.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'd love to do this but it would be just me and my collection living in my car once I got caught!!😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now that my work load has picked up and many bills are now paid in full I'm going to start again buying favorite models in pairs myself. For two reasons>> one for a "user" and one for the collection and/or for a "Back Up Unit" ( BUU). I've got "Back Up Units for about 5 models in my user rotation and I'm going to start making a habit of it.

My biggest hope at this time would be for the hierarchy at the Great Spyder Factory to start making many more models in PE & SE both just like they used to back in the early days. There are just so many models over the years that I've literally craved to be offered in both edge types. I would so much love to again re-start a collection of SE & PE pairs of Spyderco models again just like in the "Gold Ol' Days" :cool:
jdw

Post by jdw »

Albatross wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:28 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I bought a V-toku2 Stretch(when no one else had any left) from them a while back and had a pleasant experience.
Thank you for the tip. I was able to grab one for a decent price as well. I appreciate it.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
juggler

Post by juggler »

I did that a couple of times but ended up selling the backup knives eventually: tastes evolve and new knives keep being introduced ;).

I could see myself buying a few variations of my favourite models, though.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

SpyderSeth wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:19 pm
Haha. I have the same sickness. I feel much better about using my knives when I have a backup.
I can't really enjoy using a knife without a safe queen,either.I try to look at it as an investment in my peace of mind :D
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

jdw wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:56 am
Albatross wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:28 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Thank you for the tip. I was able to grab one for a decent price as well. I appreciate it.
Hey no problem, I'm glad the info was useful.