What are the odds we see a Mantra 3 LW?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

What are the odds we see a Mantra 3 LW?

Post by steelcity16 »

I really like the Manta 3, but I'm not a CF fan, and i'm carrying mostly LWs these days. a Mantra 3 LW would be an instabuy for me. Anyone else want an FRN Mantra 3?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Re: What are the odds we see a Mantra 3 LW?

Post by Sharp Guy »

I might consider it. I love my Mantra and planned on buying a Mantra 3. But I ultimately decided not to because it's almost a cross between the Mantra and Sliverax. A FRN Mantra 3 might just get me to try one if the FRN color is right.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

I would like to see one in 52100, Hap40 or V-tuko2 as long as it doesn’t have the recurve thing going on. I hate sharpening my Mantra 3 compared to my Mantra 1 because of it.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I like this knife better than the paramilitary2 and para 3, too bad for me they changed from m4 to s30v.

I figure cf is lighter than frn, so they couldn't call an frn version LW?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:00 pm

Firstly I don't think that cf is necessarely lighter than FRN.
For example: The cf Chaparral is about 15% heavier than the FRN version (admittedly the CF is in fact a CF / G10 laminate, so not "pure" CF as it is on the Mantra).

Secondly a FRN LW version probably would have no or very reduced liners which would make it lighter (see Para 3 vs Para 3 lw)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:05 pm
jpm2 wrote:

For example: The cf Chaparral is about 15% heavier than the FRN version (admittedly the CF is in fact a CF / G10 laminate, so not "pure" CF as it is on the Mantra).

Secondly a FRN LW version probably would have no or very reduced liners which would make it lighter (see Para 3 vs Para 3 lw)
My CF military (pure like on the mantra)is much lighter than my g10 version. I can't imagine an frn model being any lighter.
I think either handle material will require the same amount of liner, for the compression lock spring.

If there are any models out there in pure cf and frn, and anyone has them, maybe they can weigh them and get our question answered?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

jpm2 wrote:

I like this knife better than the paramilitary2 and para 3, too bad for me they changed from m4 to s30v.

Yeah, if they did a LW version I think it would be cool to see them go straight to production with something different like 4V. I think they could sell a ton of the Mantra 3 LWs in 4V. Especially with a nice deep carry wire clip and maybe a different earth tone FRN color. A DLC/earth tone variation released at the same time as the Satin would really be icing on the cake.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:56 pm
Wartstein wrote:
jpm2 wrote:

My CF military (pure like on the mantra)is much lighter than my g10 version. I can't imagine an frn model being any lighter.
I think either handle material will require the same amount of liner, for the compression lock spring.

If there are any models out there in pure cf and frn, and anyone has them, maybe they can weigh them and get our question answered?
Hold up, we have something else to clarify first.
Spyderco lists the mantra3 as Carbon Fiber/G-10 Laminate.
If that's the case, frn would be lighter for sure.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jpm2 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
jpm2 wrote:

Interesting discussion!!

What I meant was the following:

The current CF version of the Mantra has "regular" sceletonized (I guess) liners.
If a lightweight model in FRN was constructed in the way the Para 3 lw is done (so with almost NO liners), that one would be lighter than the LINERED CF Mantra...

I don't know if FRN or CF is lighter when it comes to let's say pure weight per cubic inch of material, but I guess you're right and CF would "win"... Still, if one could design handle scales for a LINERLESS knife the same way (and as light) out of CF like it's possible out of FRN, I also don't know. In any case it would be quite costly I guess, MUCH more so than "just" attaching two CF slabs to metal liners...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:42 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
jpm2 wrote:

Hold up, we have something else to clarify first.
Spyderco lists the mantra3 as Carbon Fiber/G-10 Laminate.
You're right, I got that wrong! Yes, I am sure in that case an FRN model would/could be lighter than a CF/G10 version, even if they both had the exact same liners. At least the Chap FRN is more than 10% lighter than the CF/G10 version.