Sliverax bearing race CQI progression

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Sliverax bearing race CQI progression

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:45 am
Jhuffy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:10 pm
Is there any program in place to swap models out for the updated version? I just purchased mine about a week ago and it is the first model shown in your post. Thanks for any information!

You need to contact Spyderco over the phone and ask them. I suspect that there isn't, since the earlier models aren't technically defective in any way, they just decided on a different way of doing things. It may be easier to return the one you bought and contact a dealer and ask them to personally check for this sort of thing on the next one you buy. If you call and explain to them what you're looking for most of the reputable dealers will do what they can to make you happy. If not, you probably should find a different dealer.
That's the one problem with CQI. People who bought the original version now have a knife that's valued less and may not perform quite as well as the updated version. I have a first run Kapara and now that it's been updated I'd prefer to have the newest version. Had I known it would be updated so quickly I would've waited to buy. I'm happy with the knife overall. So I'll keep it rather than go through the hassle of selling it to buy the latest and greatest
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:32 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:45 am
Jhuffy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:10 pm
Is there any program in place to swap models out for the updated version? I just purchased mine about a week ago and it is the first model shown in your post. Thanks for any information!

You need to contact Spyderco over the phone and ask them. I suspect that there isn't, since the earlier models aren't technically defective in any way, they just decided on a different way of doing things. It may be easier to return the one you bought and contact a dealer and ask them to personally check for this sort of thing on the next one you buy. If you call and explain to them what you're looking for most of the reputable dealers will do what they can to make you happy. If not, you probably should find a different dealer.
That's the one problem with CQI. People who bought the original version now have a knife that's valued less and may not perform quite as well as the updated version. I have a first run Kapara and now that it's been updated I'd prefer to have the newest version. Had I known it would be updated so quickly I would've waited to buy. I'm happy with the knife overall. So I'll keep it rather than go through the hassle of selling it to buy the latest and greatest

It's the age old "new and improved" dilemma. If it's new and improved then you've found something wrong with what I've been buying this whole time so it's another way of saying we've been selling you an inferior product all this time. I'm not sure how Spyderco could handle this sort of thing without swallowing the cost of a bunch of knives. It would be nice if there was a kind of recall process where the CQI could be applied to older models but that isn't always possible.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jhuffy

Post by Jhuffy »

I appreciate the reply! We will see if Cabella’s cares.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

If we start asking too loud for exchanges to get CQIs, they might just stop working on the mid-production improvements. (That's probably what I'd do when faced with this kind of dilemma.)
phaust

Post by phaust »

Just want to say awesome info, pics, and comparison