Favorite "HARD USE" Blade Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Favorite "HARD USE" Blade Steel

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I know that the title might be a bit of a "curve ball" for some of you because there are some of you who use the same blade steel for virtually every type of cutting job. Also some people think that these newer/better supersteels might automatically be better for really hard use but I don't necessarily believe that's the case in every application. But I think it's fair to say that most of us here at Spyderville who have gotten spoiled rotten on many different premium blade steels on plain edged and Spyderedged. We certainly have those advantages over many other well known knife companies in my humble opinion.

I've got two blade steels that I often refer to as my go-to, "Hard Use" blade steels. Actually there are more than two blade steels on my wide range of Spyderco "User Knives" that I work with on a variety of cutting jobs. But the two I find myself going to the most lately are VG-10 and H-1. Now I pretty much just use H-1 in Spyderedge but I use VG-10 in both edge types.

Over the past 12 to 15 years VG-10 has been my personal "go-to", high performance hard user steel in both SE & PE. VG-10 has the distinction of being a great performer in SE & PE both in a wide range of jobs>> it's also not a difficult steel to re-sharpen that gives it good advantages working in the field. I believe we are in probably the greatest era for what I like to refer to as the "SuperSteels". However most of the newer SuperSteels get the majority of their accolades and bragging rights in plain edged uses. For most Hard Use steels I tend to like a steel that you can work with in SE & PE both. Please also tell us the advantages you find in Serrated edge use as well as Plain Edged uses.

VG-10 has probably been my long time ultimate favorite hard use steel in many of my Spyderco models over the years in both Spyderedge blades in plain edged blades. But I must admit that I really like the old reliable 440V for Spyderedges especially for brutal uses>> but it is a monster to re-sharpen :eek: . 440V is not half bad in PE but in SE that old 440V is a real "bulldog" of a performer.

OK guys & girls let's all talk about what your favorite hard uses blade steels are? And tell us which steel you like best in plain edge and which steel you think is best in serrated and/or Spyderedges and "why"??. OK let's talk Hard Use blade steels.
Pelagic

Re: Favorite "HARD USE" Blade Steel

Post by Pelagic »

3V... Holds an edge for a long time and can handle anything. No worries about "is this task too much to ask of this blade?" just use it and go. It does NOT have poor edge retention.

4V is tied with 3v. Much better steel for performance, but for really hard use or in environments where mistakes are unavoidable, 3v is preferred.

I have not tried H1.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

H1, 154CM :D , S30V
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I would say s35vn i have two natives in it one half serrated. Both hold an edge excellent but I've also nicked both edges cutting things that had unexpected metal in them. The edges cleaned up easy even tho i suck at sharpening.
But vg10 is good too.
I have often wondered if for hard use ease if sharpening is more important than edge retention as in "hard use" its a given you will either dull it or damage it, or at least a good possibility, in which case something akin to aus-8 might actually be better!
lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:30 pm
3V... Holds an edge for a long time and can handle anything. No worries about "is this task too much to ask of this blade?" just use it and go. It does NOT have poor edge retention.

4V is tied with 3v. Much better steel for performance, but for really hard use or in environments where mistakes are unavoidable, 3v is preferred.

I have not tried H1.
I can't wait to get the Province.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like a good 1095 quite a bit. H1 is pretty awesome but has limits (somewhere on here are pics of a Rock Salt edge rippling from chopping a coconut). M4, 3V, Cruwear are all winners.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

PE H1, VG-10, ESEE 1095 are good hard use steels. I haven't tried the hi tech tool steels but those are definitely good for hard use if corrosion isn't an issue.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Depends on what one calls hard use.

And if they are talking about folders or fixed blades.

For folders S30V or S35VN will handle just about anything that I have seen over the decades. That's stuff that folders should really be used for in the 1st place.

For fixed blades?

INFI, SR101 and CPM 4V.

Put INFI and SR101 though **** and back (Extreme abuse on purpose) and more than a few times and have never seen them fail. I tried to hurt 4V and couldn't do it even at high hardness and very thin behind the edge.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:11 pm

For folders S30V or S35VN will handle just about anything that I have seen over the decades. That's stuff that folders should really be used for in the 1st place.

For fixed blades?

INFI, SR101 and CPM 4V.

Put INFI and SR101 though **** and back (Extreme abuse on purpose) and more than a few times and have never seen them fail. I tried to hurt 4V and couldn't do it even at high hardness and very thin behind the edge.
If anyone would know, it's this man right here ^^^^^^^^
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:38 pm
Ankerson wrote:

For fixed blades?

INFI, SR101 and CPM 4V.

The only reason the Province isn't in INFI is because it's not available to Spyderco or anyone else outside BUSSE. ;)

And the knives would have been a lot more expensive also, a lot more.

And it was my 1st thought. :D :eek:

I chose 4V because it holds an edge VERY well and it's bullet proof, perfect for the Province.
vivi

Post by vivi »

H1 and S7
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:46 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

For fixed blades?

INFI, SR101 and CPM 4V.

The only reason the Province isn't in INFI is because it's not available to Spyderco or anyone else outside BUSSE. ;)

I chose 4V because it holds an edge VERY well and it's bullet proof, perfect for the Province.
Your the biggest reason I'm getting the Province.
You know your steel Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:14 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:46 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

For fixed blades?

INFI, SR101 and CPM 4V.

Your the biggest reason I'm getting the Province.
You know your steel Jim

Shouldn't be too much longer, light at the end of the tunnel as they say. :spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

H1, 440C, VG10, and the CrMoV used in the economy Spyderco Byrds and others.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hmm...based solely on my experience, I'd go with K390, CPM REX 45, CPM M4. I've pushed these steels pretty hard and they hold up very well.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Don't have real "hard use" experience with too many steels, but another vote for VG10. My sabre grind Endura in that steel is probably more "hard use" than I'll ever need...

/ ESEEs 1095 has been mentioned. Sure it is "hard use" (I have a Laser Strike) but really dulls too fast imho.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Lc200n and m4, 3v, 4v, or cruwear.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
ferider

Post by ferider »

For my toughest Spydercos (Chinook and Tuff) there is no choice. But 440V and and 3V are a great fit of course.

For Military, PM2 and Manix 2, where I have the choice, it's CPM CruWear.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Another vote for M4 here. I like that it's tough, holds it's edge pretty well and is fairly easy enough to get a super sharp edge back after use. DLC or Satin is fine for me, I've got both.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Cruwear for sure! I’ve used my CW Manix2 for a lot of harder use. But I’ll mention the knives I’ve probably been the hardest on are my GEC #15 in 1095 and my lrg Insingo Sebenza, s35vn and both have held up amazing. Only minor damage, nothing a good sharpening couldn’t take care of doing things like cutting metal downspouts and thick recycled tire rubber mats with bits of metal in them.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?