New Police 4 and observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

Re: New Police 4 and observations

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:18 am
I am "lucky" in that I am for whatever reason more rational and "sensible" when it comes to fixed blades... I have 5 or 6, that will last me a lifetime, and just feel no urge to aquire more.
That's totally different when it comes to folders, but even in that I am "lucky" for I am exclusivly interested in Spyderco. That's not even a deliberate decision, nothing wrong with other brands, but just happens to be that way in my case.
I'm the same, in that I've filled every perceived niche need for different types of camping, hiking and hunting fixed blades. Same with high end Japanese kitchen knives. I don't really look at those kinds of knives anymore, 'cos I'm well served with what I already have.

As I like learning about knife history and thinking about the evolution of cutting tools, I'll sometimes add an interesting traditional working pocketknife pattern to the collection, but I'm pretty well covered in that regard, too.

I also only consider Spyderco knives among the modern folding knife manufacturers. Part of that is based on high quality and well thought out design, but I also feel that in buying a Spydie, I'm supporting an ethic of high integrity and human decency, which is increasingly rare in the corporate world, and should be applauded.

JonLeBlanc: Sorry to veer slightly OT. While you're getting the hang of posting pics, I hope you don't mind if I sprinkle another of mine into your thread. ;) :)

The P4 getting ready to prep the ingredients for a homemade hotsauce:

Oh no by all means lol, I'm glad somebody has been. After a couple days one further observation I'd make is that I kinda wish this model had a Boye dent. My thumb pad kinda hurts from all the unlocking I've been doing, and the lock mechanism is pretty stiff (that's a good thing of course), so a dent would make things a little easier. Maybe I can grind one on.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I thought the P4 LW was new, but realize now that it's upcoming lol.

:)
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

I had to check my P4 after reading this and it seems ok as far as corrosion on the liners. I’ll keep a close eye on it tho. I was very surprised by how much I love the knife. It’s got plenty of blade and is a breeze to carry. The k390 is fun to use and sharpen.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If you're on the fence about the P4 in K390, you owe it to yourself to try it.

For me, it's a fantastic EDC, but that may not be feasible for everyone because of legal restrictions.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

^yes to all the above. It's been said before, but there's little doubt this forum has been responsible for a nice uptick in sales for the Police 4!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:21 pm

After a couple days one further observation I'd make is that I kinda wish this model had a Boye dent. My thumb pad kinda hurts from all the unlocking I've been doing, and the lock mechanism is pretty stiff (that's a good thing of course), so a dent would make things a little easier.

+1 I was really hoping for a dent on the Police 4 LW as well
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry Steel City,

I have no plans at this tome to add one. You can to get the dent by adding one. Easier to take away steel than to add steel. Make sure that you open the knife to the maximum to get the dent right.,

sal
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

sal wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:55 pm
Sorry Steel City,

I have no plans at this tome to add one. You can to get the dent by adding one. Easier to take away steel than to add steel. Make sure that you open the knife to the maximum to get the dent right.,

sal
That's something I would consider doing as well; however, am I correct that making a structural alteration such as that would void the warranty?