CTS-XHP Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

CTS-XHP Thread

Post by Catamount123 »

CTS-XHP is probably my favorite of the steels that Spyderco uses. I haven't seen much discussion about it here lately, so I decided to start this thread. For me, there is just something special about how it takes, and holds, a fine edge. I also appreciate its relatively high toughness (for a stainless steel). The Hundred Pacer and Chaparral LW are the two models I currently have in this steel. One of my grails is the brown Knife Center Manix 2 LW exclusive. I would love to see them do another run, so I can get one for a reasonable price. There are rumors of another Shaman exclusive coming around August. I am really hoping it is Cutlery Shoppe releasing one in XHP with orange G-10 scales. Hopefully, one of the many forthcoming Para 3 LW exclusives is in XHP as well.

I don't know what the current supply/availability situation is, but I really want to see more regular production models in this steel. All the sprints and exclusives are commanding high prices these days, so there seems to be some demand out there.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
steelcity16

Re: CTS-XHP Thread

Post by steelcity16 »

Agreed. It is a great steel and I would have much preferred Cutlery Shoppe to have used that rather than S90V in their Manix LW and Native LW exclusives. They have a great thing going with their orange CTS-XHP combo, especially in DLC. Hopefully we will see a Para 3 LW and some other ones from them soon. I would love to see them do the DLC version of the Manix LW in XHP rather than S90V, but we will have to see what happens. I think XHP would sell out about 10 times fast than S90V based on how long their other S90V exclusives sat around.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Very good all around steel.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

XHP is a great stainless steel no doubt about it, but I prefer M390 over it. It feels like the same steel but turned up one notch in every single attribute. Same amazing fine edge holding if not even better, coupled with better stain resistance and ease of sharpening. I don't own any knife in XHP anymore, but I would definitely re-purchase it if given the chance in a knife that's attractive to my uses. So I agree with you, I want more, both XHP and M390! :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Agreed! CS should have done those LWs in XHP. I would have bought both. When I see orange I think about a field knife and then I think about field sharpening on a pocket stone where XHP would be my preference. I did buy the Manix but passed on the Native because I already had a Native5 in both S90V and S110V. I am unsure why there have been so many S90V Natives but none in XHP or Cruwear?

Anyway, bring on more XHP! Good all around stainless. I would also like to try some CPM154 and see how it compares to XHP. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Like always I start by making clear, that I am not a steel expert by any means. So I can´t fully keep apart to what amount differences I experience between two or more steels are really due to the steels themselves, and how much to grind, blade stock, different use and so on.
But on the other hand it´s not like I´d know nothing bout steels, I use and sharpen frequently several knives in different steels.

XHP I have on my Chap FRN, and I am really amazed by its properties. I always say it feels like a "slighthly, but noticeable better S30V" (and I really like S30V!!). Sharpens at least as easy, but seems to hold an edge longer and I never had any chipping- or rolling.

Now of course the Chap (my only XHP knife) is somewhat unique due to it´s 2mm ffg blade (the only Spyderco offering this as far as I know - the Centofante has 2mm stock either, but in sabre-/hollow grind). So some of the properties I experience with the steel might in fact partly be more due to the way the blade is made. On the other hand: IF that is true, the thin grind should rather be a negative factor when it comes to edge holding and stability, but as said: The XHP (and / or the Chap) does really good in that regards. And to be clear: I really don´t use my XHP Chap like a "gents folder" but often in wood- and smaller bushcraft-tasks and don´t baby it at all...

So, concluding: I am perfectly fine with Spydercos S30V. But: If they´d change every S30V folder to XHP, I would not complain... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:59 am

I would also like to try some CPM154 and see how it compares to XHP. :)

+1
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above: Question to all of you who know more about steels than I do: Do you also feel that there´s a lot similarity between S30V and XHP, the latter performing just sligthly "better"? Or is that/my impression more based on that I have not really experienced too many different steels?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:08 pm
Added to my post above: Question to all of you who know more about steels than I do: Do you also feel that there´s a lot similarity between S30V and XHP, the latter performing just sligthly "better"? Or is that/my impression more based on that I have not really experienced too many different steels?
XHP is indeed performing better, at least in the production knives I've had in both steels. It holds that fine edge longer and is easier to sharpen than S30V. It's a really good steel, it feels way different than it should for a D2 steel with a bit of extra chromium. I would rate it somewhere between S30V and M390 overall, an improved CPM D2 in every regard if any one of you guys had the chance to use some a few years back. I think the main plus over S30V is its fine-edge retention, something that S30V always had problems with.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I would totally get an orange shaman in XHP!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Wartstein wrote:
Do you also feel that there´s a lot similarity between S30V and XHP

viewtopic.php?t=59149
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ekastanis wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=59149
Thanks!! Interesting. So in this scenario S30V holds an edge better than XHP. Would not have guessed that...

But maybe regular and various EDC use would show different results than the very specific task "rope cutting with a certain pressure"?
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:24 pm
But maybe regular and various EDC use would show different results than the very specific task "rope cutting with a certain pressure"?

I believe you're probably right, and the OP of that thread mentions something to the same effect.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:24 pm
ekastanis wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=59149
Thanks!! Interesting. So in this scenario S30V holds an edge better than XHP. Would not have guessed that...
That was for a coarse edge. Let me put it like this: if you ever want to shave with your Military, pick the XHP, not the S30V copy :)
jdw

Post by jdw »

I would like to see a rerun of the brown XHP M2 LW that was available for a while. It was a handy hiking knife that I ended up losing somewhere along the way.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:03 pm
Oh yea!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:07 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:03 pm
Oh yea!
I guess I would either...
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I like it in the Hungarian... I've gutted a few deer and opened a few boxes with that one. It seems to sharpen well for me, which is good because the edge retention is not as good as M390 or S90V in my experience. Maybe a tad better than on my reground D2 Benchmade AFCK, though XHP is definitely better to sharpen.

If I like the model it definitely wouldn't hold me back from buying more...if it was fun color scales for XHP and black for S30V I'd probably even choose it over the S30V.
jdw wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:00 pm
I would like to see a rerun of the brown XHP M2 LW that was available for a while. It was a handy hiking knife that I ended up losing somewhere along the way.
Another good reason for a run in orange!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I had a good experience with it when I tested it on a manix 2. I just didn't have the money when it came out and they haven't released anything in it that I wanted.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

emanuel wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:54 am
XHP is a great stainless steel no doubt about it, but I prefer M390 over it. It feels like the same steel but turned up one notch in every single attribute.
I actually have a totally different take. I feel like M390 takes a finer edge more easily, and XHP takes a coarse, working edge and holds it better. M390 does a better job of "super sharp" for me, and XHP does a better job of "working sharp."