Let's discuss Nitrogen steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Let's discuss Nitrogen steels

Post by Doc Dan »

I am really interested in these nitrogen steels. Spyderco is now giving us BD1N, LC200N, and H1, but there are many more out there. I have experience with 14C28N, but some of the others I do not.

I wonder at the various edge retentions of these steels and the hardness levels needed to give them the best performance. How critical is the heat treat to corrosion resistance? Some of these steels seem to be completely corrosion proof and some are resistant. What factors cause that scenario? Is it carbon content, or something else. Perhaps not enough N to form nitrides? Are there any with edge retention bordering on S110V or ZDP-189?

These are interesting steels and it seems there are a lot of questions around them. Some of the stuff out there is factual, and some of it is the stuff you find lying around in a cow pasture.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DutchBlades

Re: Let's discuss Nitrogen steels

Post by DutchBlades »

The only one I've got experience with thus far is Vanax 37. The edge retention was definitely on par with s90v.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

I wouldn’t really consider H1 as a nitrogen steel. But the 0.1% N steels in general are not that different than “non-nitrogen” steels. S90V and S110V have at least as much nitrogen as BD1N and 14C28N. I have articles on effects of heat treatment and composition on corrosion resistance. What questions do you have after reading them?
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc, what I know of metallurgy I could write on a piece of confetti with a 4” brush. :o

I’ve been playing with Vanax SC that good brother bluntcut (Luong) heat treated. From memory I think it’s around 61hrc. I had it sitting in saltwater for about two months without any staining or edge degradation. It’s very easy to sharpen to extreme levels and holds an edge about as well as S30V and I’d have to say it’s tougher. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Larrin wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:10 am
I wouldn’t really consider H1 as a nitrogen steel. But the 0.1% N steels in general are not that different than “non-nitrogen” steels. S90V and S110V have at least as much nitrogen as BD1N and 14C28N. I have articles on effects of heat treatment and composition on corrosion resistance. What questions do you have after reading them?
Lots of questions. For one thing, how does hardening...work or heat treat, affect these steels’ corrosion resistance and edge retention?

Maybe that’s two things.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:03 am
Lots of questions. For one thing, how does hardening...work or heat treat, affect these steels’ corrosion resistance and edge retention?

Maybe that’s two things.
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/06/11/ ... stainless/
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Larrin wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:10 am
Spyderco's steel chart doesn't list any nitrogen for either of those two. Is Crucible not in the habit of listing nitrogen content, or are you saying that somehow incidental nitrogen gets into the steel at a level comparable to BD1N or 14C28N without even being part of the recipe?
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:31 am

Spyderco's steel chart doesn't list any nitrogen for either of those two. Is Crucible not in the habit of listing nitrogen content, or are you saying that somehow incidental nitrogen gets into the steel at a level comparable to BD1N or 14C28N without even being part of the recipe?
Good question, I'm curious if this is intentional or just atmosphere nitrogen absorption during the sintering process. I believe that it's a similar case as it was with S30V. Crucible didn't mention it in the official composition data sheets, but now they state it at being 0.10% N. So it might be the same for the other vanadium stainless steels from them. They just didn't bother changing the official stance on composition as the difference might be insignificant for their customers and the properties they advertise. Lets remember, knife industry isn't their main market, it's industrial tools.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Crucible doesn't advertise the ntirogen content in their steel for some reason. Perhaps they don't see it as a point to be advertised. I think times have changed since those decisions were made.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2088

I found this heady discussion. Some of it is beyond me (they need an English editor!), but most is understandable.

Here's an article:
https://www.magzter.com/news/209/416/05 ... c2bafe2f01

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

I think my own article on nitrogen knife steels is more useful in this context: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/09/17/ ... fe-steels/
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Larrin wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:28 am
I think my own article on nitrogen knife steels is more useful in this context: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/09/17/ ... fe-steels/
Yes, that was a good article and easier to get my head around.

You wrote : "I didn’t discuss H1 at all in this article. It is true that it has a small nitrogen addition (0.10%). However, the nitrogen addition is far from the most interesting thing about H1. It is a completely different type of steel than the others in this article and therefore it needs to be in its own article to describe how it was designed and how the steel works."

Is there such a discussion? Why is this steel so much different from the others, especially N680 and LC200N?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

The article on H1 is up on Patreon as of 10 minutes ago, and will be on my website Monday.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

14c28n doesn't get enough respect. For a "budget" blade steel, it's really very good. I definitely feel like it's a real (not just marketing) upgrade from AEB-L.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Larrin. Good stuff.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can't help much in answering the technical questions, but LC200N is quickly becoming my favorite steel. The edge retention is plenty enough for my needs, it responds very well to sharpening and is rust proof so overall the knife is 99.9% maintenance free, just keep it sharp and keep the pivot lubed and enjoy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Larrin wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:06 am
The article on H1 is up on Patreon as of 10 minutes ago, and will be on my website Monday.
Great article as always. H-1 is really unusual stuff and there are a lot of claims about its properties. Thanks for introducing some clarity into the subject.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:26 am

Great article as always. H-1 is really unusual stuff and there are a lot of claims about its properties. Thanks for introducing some clarity into the subject.
Hopefully that’s what I have provided and not just more confusion. :)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Larrin, in your educated and practical knowledge, do you think a good-selling knife that would gain alot of use for people on both land and sea, would be some "economy water knife", a folder that has a blade in the 3.5 inch range, made from a nitrogen steel like LC200N, with some form of FRN handle, and perhaps shackle slot in the blade, and/or other blades in addition to the main cutting blade?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

What is a Patreon and how do I access the article?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050