Zoomer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: Zoomer

Post by MacLaren »

fkmtb07 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:42 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:58 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:02 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:27 am

Thank you :)
And, yes. You got it my friend. :cool:
Great pics! So how are you supposed to sharpen this thing? Micro bevel?
Stropping and prolly be careful not to get it too dull?
Yep. Also, sandpaper wrapped around your strop or on a mousepad for actual sharpening (rather than maintenance stropping). Or a slack belt on a grinder for reprofiling/regrinding. Convex edges are actually super easy to maintain and sharpen.
Thank you :)
I was thinking there was something else.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I can’t stop looking at this thing MacLaren! That Zoomer looks like it’s a real joy to use and hold onto. I’d probably order one if I wasn’t chasing another fixed blade grail at the moment.
Josh
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Does it say anything about sharpening in the literature that came with the knife? Does Spyderco recommend anything?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:06 pm
Does it say anything about sharpening in the literature that came with the knife? Does Spyderco recommend anything?
Good thinking.
But, the literature says:
" Although the Zoomer may be sharpened using conventional fixed-angle sharpening methods, maintaining its unique convex grind requires specialized skills and tools. Zoomer knives returned to Spyderco for sharpening service will be sharpened by conventional means. "

So, I would say stropping, and sandpaper as mentioned earlier as well. I don't think the Zoomer is too hard to keep sharp.
As a matter of fact, the SharpMaker would prolly work ok in a pinch too.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

So, here's a couple comparisons as requested.
I've compared with the Military and K2 for reference.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Many Thanks Paul! :cool:

It's nowhere near as big as I'd imagined. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:46 pm
I can’t stop looking at this thing MacLaren! That Zoomer looks like it’s a real joy to use and hold onto. I’d probably order one if I wasn’t chasing another fixed blade grail at the moment.
Thanx Josh :)
It's a real delight to be honest.
If you ever get a chance, grab one!
It's a super neat, super freakin sharp blade.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:31 pm

You got it my good friend :)
No, it's really not. But, when you have it in hand, you realize shes plenty long enough to handle most anything. A fantastic camp knife I'm thinking. Gonna cut and slice up some veggies tomorrow and see how she does. I imagine that'll be real fun as shes a freakin light saber lol....eventually I'll get to batonning and making feather sticks and all that good stuff. I'm really gonna push her and put her thru the paces.
Also, the sheath is just really, really nice! I LOVE that you can wear it either right or left. That's really nice. As well as the swivel belt loop. Cant wait to get started with her tomorrow...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:34 pm
Bloke wrote:

No, it's really not. But, when you have it in hand, you realize shes plenty long enough to handle most anything. A fantastic camp knife I'm thinking. Gonna cut and slice up some veggies tomorrow and see how she does. I imagine that'll be real fun as shes a freakin light saber lol....eventually I'll get to batonning and making feather sticks and all that good stuff. I'm really gonna push her and put her thru the paces.
Also, the sheath is just really, really nice! I LOVE that you can wear it either right or left. That's really nice. As well as the swivel belt loop. Cant wait to get started with her tomorrow...
Hey Paul, I’ve looked at the knife a few times. It has a strange appeal and your positive impressions make it even more so but, $US390 + $US25 minimum shipping (no signature, hopefully dropped in letterbox) + $US39 Goods and Services Tax (GST) comes to $AU638 add to that some other BS with the exchange rate and I’d be luck not to pay close to $AU660. :rolleyes:

Just how it is for us Colonials but it’s getting up there for a knife I don’t need but think I’ll like.

On top off all that I go on guilt trips buying knives I don’t need and generally give beloved wife and grandkiddies about what I spent on the silly knife to start with so it gets expensive. Ah, hahaha! It’s only money I know but I’ll likely sit this one out.

Anyhow, if it turns out you don’t like it box it up and send it this way. I’ll give it a good home and figure out how to sharpen it, no worries. :p
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:56 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:34 pm
Bloke wrote:

Hey Paul, I’ve looked at the knife a few times. It has a strange appeal and your positive impressions make it even more so but, $US390 + $US25 minimum shipping (no signature, hopefully dropped in letterbox) + $US39 Goods and Services Tax (GST) comes to $AU638 add to that some other BS with the exchange rate and I’d be luck not to pay close to $AU660. :rolleyes:

Just how it is for us Colonials but it’s getting up there for a knife I don’t need but think I’ll like.

On top off all that I go on guilt trips buying knives I don’t need and generally give beloved wife and grandkiddies about what I spent on the silly knife to start with so it gets expensive. Ah, hahaha! It’s only money I know but I’ll likely sit this one out.

Anyhow, if it turns out you don’t like it box it up and send it this way. I’ll give it a good home and figure out how to sharpen it, no worries. :p
Alex, if you would've hit me up 2 days ago, I would have prolly done that because I need a new truck. But, Sal has me on a mission and I intend to fulfill it! Even if it's not clear on how to sharpen her lol!!!
Seriously though, I paid $275 for her, and I honestly dont ever see that happening again. I'm gonna use the **** out of her man.
Anything else I can Alex, you lemme know!
Actually, just keep your eyes peeled on Blade Forums for one.
That's how I got mine.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:42 am
Alex, if you would've hit me up 2 days ago, I would have prolly done that because I need a new truck. But, Sal has me on a mission and I intend to fulfill it! Even if it's not clear on how to sharpen her lol!!!
Seriously though, I paid $275 for her, and I honestly dont ever see that happening again. I'm gonna use the **** out of her man.
Anything else I can Alex, you lemme know!
Actually, just keep your eyes peeled on Blade Forums for one.
That's how I got mine.
You’re to kind mate! :)

It’s uncanny you mentioned a truck. I sold my old 75 Series Toyota Landcruiser ute last night for no good reason and since it drove out of the drive way, I feel like I would if my dog just died. :(
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Well dang, I wished I would have bought this knife years ago! With no real Spydercos on the waiting list I picked up one that I’ve always wanted but the price has kind of steered me away. But crap, this thing is worth every penny! I take back saying the Proficient has the most comfortable handle, this thing takes the cake. I’ve got a big paw and it fits me like a glove. I’m going camping in a few weeks and I’m really going to put it through it’s paces, but I have no doubt it will not let me down. I would love to see this in SE Magnacut with Burgundy G10!!

If y’all are on the fence on this one get it now before they are gone. Oh, and the sheath is amazing as well.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

See my comments in the thread speculating about the possible content of the next discontinued list.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

The Zoomer design is very special. I first saw the design at a Dutch meet, and was very impressed. It took a long time to make and it's quite expensive to build right, especially the way he wanted it. So why'd we do it?.................because we could, and the world needed such a special offering.

sal
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I can tell it’s a special knife for sure!
Speaking of Dutch…
While they may not be everyone’s cup of tea,
I occasionally pester the boys over over at the DutchBushcraftKnives YouTube channel recommending they make some videos about Spyderco fixed blades.
The Zoomer is always top of the list in my suggestions to them because it’s got all the things they like. A good steel in cpm20cv, convex grind, big and comfortable “bushcrafty” handle, etc.
Maarten and Mikkie have a decently big crowd so I figure it’s worth it to try and bring some of that popularity to Spyderco’s fixed blade knives ‘cause they certainly deserve it. I happen to like the channel too (they bring some sorely lacking and genuine personality/comedy in my opinion). And they told me they’ve come around to Spyderco recently so who knows!

I’m also just kinda looking for more pictures and footage of the Zoomer in use ;)
Whether that’s to see how it performs or for some eye candy I’ll leave up in the air lol
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

The Zoomer has been an amazing addition this past month!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”