Lil’ Native lockback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Lil’ Native lockback

Post by spyderg »

So I recently made a career change and to celebrate I got myself a new knife, I know big surprise right!? I went to the only local store here to handle a few. As suspected the comp lock version of the lil Native was great but the wire clip makes it unusable. Luckily the action on the lockback is outstanding and it comes with a nice comfortable clip. While it’s never going to compete with my Smock for significant pocket time, it’s going to be great when I want something smaller. The golden team did a fine job on this one, F&F, grinds, centering, action, lockup all on point. Very happy with this little guy.
4FDB6186-6EA7-4FEE-A0B8-98DAC907ABEE.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Lil’ Native lockback

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Congratulations of the new job! I was just fondling mine last night myself along with the comp lock version and truly wished they had gone with the wire clip on the backlock version as well! :). Sometimes I can’t figure what’s going on in Golden! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

There are a few Spydies I’d surely own if they didn’t have the wire clip. Most recently the Ikuchi, I’m sure it’s the right clip for the knife but it makes it a no go for me. I have a few that I just can’t use because of it. I’ll likely end up selling them or giving them away. The wire clips move around in use and dig in my hand something awful. I know I tend to grip tools tightly, but that’s not going to change so wire clips are out for me.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:41 pm
Congratulations of the new job! I was just fondling mine last night myself along with the comp lock version and truly wished they had gone with the wire clip on the backlock version as well! :). Sometimes I can’t figure what’s going on in Golden! :D
+1. I think it was an experiment to release both simultaneously, but hard to gauge because of it had two (potentially polarizing) variables. I would have preferred the back lock if it had a wire clip.

Who else misses the jimping? Maybe I'm just used to it, but it really would have benefited from it (and matched the line up). Regardless, I hope BHQ chooses the back lock version for their M4 exclusive ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really want one of these back lock versions. It is the only one of of these two that interests me. I am okay with either clip since I will take it off anyway.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 pm

I would have preferred the back lock if it had a wire clip.

Who else misses the jimping? Maybe I'm just used to it, but it really would have benefited from it (and matched the line up).

Agreed about the wire clip and YES I miss the jimping bad!!! I really think they should CQI it into all future runs.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The back lock actually has a lanyard hole, which all small knives need. I like a fob, to lengthen the grip a tad. Really needs jimping bad. Solid clip is nice. I’m fine with wire clips, but only on the small knives. It really is a nice, well made knife.

Good luck with your new job.
- best wishes, Jazz.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Inaugurating a new job with a masterpiece—one I would not change—merits a double congrats, and you have mine.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Thnx for the congrats! After spending 19yrs at my last job(warehouse, lifting crap, forklift, shipping/receiving, safety rep and maintenance) then a few at home with the kids I’m enjoying my new career as an educational assistant. This will likely be the path till retirement.
As far as the knife goes I think it’s great. I personally don’t feel that it needs jimping, my thumb would never land on it anyway. Unless of corse they put it over the bug in front of the hole. It stays very secure in hand without any. I picked it up to use instead of my Dragonfly,(the only wire clipped knife I have that the clip doesn’t bother me) as the dragonfly is just too small in hand. Great knife though. I also have a Rhino for this job. Great knife too. The Rhino could benefit from some jimping. I find my thumb sliding on that one a bit.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I got a new job as well last week and bought a para 3 s35vn for it.
Yes also not a big fan of the wire clip at all, or backlocks for that matter, that is why I own the compression lock lil native and love it.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
benben

Post by benben »

Sleepy dog approved! Congrats on the new job, I think I need to try that, harder and harder to get out of bed every morning! I'm jealous of your dog!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

The Lil Native lock back looks really appealing, I have a Compression lock version and its a sweet knife. I prefer the wire clip but the spoon clip bothers me none. What I strongly desire is the jimping; Lil Native would be much better feeling in hand with the Golden jimping. After handling Manix and PM2 for years, it feels a bit off with the smooth surface. Actually, the tiny bit of jimping that's on the Comp lock version is pretty much a tease for my thumb.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I think that I would rather have the Lil Native Back Lock to the Techno or Techno 2. I think it is a more useful design all the way around. I almost bought the Tecnho 2 the other day, but comparing it to the LNBL I could not do it. The LNBL is a nicer knife for my uses and is still robust, I would think.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:29 am
I think that I would rather have the Lil Native Back Lock to the Techno or Techno 2. I think it is a more useful design all the way around. I almost bought the Tecnho 2 the other day, but comparing it to the LNBL I could not do it. The LNBL is a nicer knife for my uses and is still robust, I would think.
I went from the original Techno to the 2 and am happy I did, but then I’m ga-ga for Slysz-designs. Still, I think my LNBL is the far more capable knife.

I’m curious why a slipjoint version does not appeal to you, as you said elsewhere. Is it that your Urbans own that territory?

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:24 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I went from the original Techno to the 2 and am happy I did, but then I’m ga-ga for Slysz-designs. Still, I think my LNBL is the far more capable knife.

I’m curious why a slipjoint version does not appeal to you, as you said elsewhere. Is it that your Urbans own that territory?
Not appeal to me? I’m the guy who keeps asking for the LN slip joint. I was looking forward to this knife. Spyderco must be having problems with it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:10 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:24 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Not appeal to me? I’m the guy who keeps asking for the LN slip joint. I was looking forward to this knife. Spyderco must be having problems with it.
My memory has failed me. Apologies.

Now I need not get you in my choir. I’ll just jump in yours.

lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I got the lockback version, it is awesome.
Yea the lack of texture is odd, but doesn't bother me.

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

spyderg wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:52 am
Thnx for the congrats! After spending 19yrs at my last job(warehouse, lifting crap, forklift, shipping/receiving, safety rep and maintenance) then a few at home with the kids I’m enjoying my new career as an educational assistant. This will likely be the path till retirement.
As far as the knife goes I think it’s great. I personally don’t feel that it needs jimping, my thumb would never land on it anyway. Unless of corse they put it over the bug in front of the hole. It stays very secure in hand without any. I picked it up to use instead of my Dragonfly,(the only wire clipped knife I have that the clip doesn’t bother me) as the dragonfly is just too small in hand. Great knife though. I also have a Rhino for this job. Great knife too. The Rhino could benefit from some jimping. I find my thumb sliding on that one a bit.
Even though it seems like we're in the minority, I agree and I don't think it needs jimping either.
-Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Maybe it does not need jimping, but Spyderco certainly has us spoilt with it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like it as is without jimping. I'm guessing the comp lock version is much more popular and will get an exclusive run at BHQ.