Lil’ Native lockback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: Lil’ Native lockback

Post by Jazz »

Needs jimping. My thumb just wants to slide down the slope.
- best wishes, Jazz.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

D0D3CA62-C97F-4F75-8767-0AECA6E0B94E.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:28 pm
Needs jimping. My thumb just wants to slide down the slope.
I wonder how hard it would be to stipple the ramp and choil?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:49 am

Interesting idea. Not hard with a Dremel and diamond bit.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:19 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:49 am

Interesting idea. Not hard with a Dremel and diamond bit.
Sadly, I do not have a Dremel at present. But, I was thinking that stippling on the choil and the ramp would look nice and it could even be carried down the back spring. If well done, it would look good and still give some traction.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Jimping is pretty easy to add with a Dremel and a steady hand. I personally don’t think stippling would look right on the backspring, spine or choil but to each their own. Perhaps some decorative firework on the backspring and spine. I find the Lil’ Native stays put just fine due to its size and ergos. You could probably get a fair bit of traction using some ferric chloride on the desired surfaces.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

spyderg wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:36 pm
Jimping is pretty easy to add with a Dremel and a steady hand. I personally don’t think stippling would look right on the backspring, spine or choil but to each their own. Perhaps some decorative firework on the backspring and spine. I find the Lil’ Native stays put just fine due to its size and ergos. You could probably get a fair bit of traction using some ferric chloride on the desired surfaces.
Ferric Chloride? How would you go about this and what would it do to the steel? I know it is used in etching. So are you saying coat the parts of the knife you do not want to etch, and then etch a pattern into the ramp and choil?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:02 am
spyderg wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:36 pm
Ferric Chloride? How would you go about this and what would it do to the steel? I know it is used in etching. So are you saying coat the parts of the knife you do not want to etch, and then etch a pattern into the ramp and choil?
Yes, you would etch the steel say on the backspring and the spine where your thumb lands, also in the choil. I wouldn’t try to etch a pattern myself as that might get tricky. Nail polish to protect areas around proposed surfaces. The etched surface ends up quite grippy compared to polished or smooth satin finishes. Has a bit of a chalkboard feel though which may not be to your liking.